• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question of coyote build cost

Sprintervanlife

I'm just wondering why coyote builds are so expensive?
I can find used coyote and trans for $10k.
Seriously, where does the cost go crazy?
Also, what mpg are people getting with a coyote vs older roller efi 302?

JoePro

Takes a lot more than just a used motor and trans. Check out BC Broncos... Radiator, Electric Fan, Headers and Exhaust, Mounts, Serpentine Kit, new Fuel System, Adapters, Electronics/control pack etc. Body Lift, Suspension Upgrades, Disc Brakes, new Kincer frame, Labor. I’m sure some guys who have done this swap can chime in on total costs.

STalon89

If you're spending 25k on a motor swap, I think MPG is the least of your concerns.

Dont forget new gearing, larger spine axles, beefed up driveshaft/output. The torque of the coyote will shred everything behind it thats weak

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Look at my 77 Coyote build thread. Post #71 actually.

I list all the parts included for the Coyote and directly compare to a 351w build for example.

All other aspects of the Bronco build would be the same with a full restoration anyway. It's only a couple grand difference. I did get lucky and found a Very nice 2016 Mustang Coyote with less than 20k miles delivered to my door for $5K.

I have done a few 351W Broncos and wanted to do something different altogether.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Some do it to say they've done it....great conversation piece.

Bang for the buck, I would just do a blue print 408 for 5500.

Now, if you have unlimited free time...as in no kids or work responsibilities and you love to spend many hours challenging yourself in research and hands-on trial and error and hunting down the low mileage coyote...then that swap is for you!

If you like simple bolts in and your budget it higher than say 6500, then drop something like this in:

Ford 408 585HP/565ftlbs

To me, my Bronco handles like a radio-flier wagon, so for the street, a solid 351 I feel would be enough, but that's just my opinion.