• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring Bronco- Your input appreciated

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

With Rob's install I installed everything in the dash while the dash was out of the vehicle and in an air conditioned room. We did it this way because it was easier to film. We then attempted to carry the dash out to his Bronco and install the dash with the harness and fuseblock attatched. Everything went together without a problem. You can actuall install half of this harness inside in the AC or heat, depending on the season, where it's well lit and you can see everything. It really couldn't have worked any better. That's so much better than laying on your back and looking up behind a dash like you have to do with most vehicles. Also, the picture in the 2nd row, next to the picture of the fuel tank switch, it shows 2 connectors. One connector is the turn signal switch and the other is the connection for the aftermarket tach. This harness will come with a 4 pin connector on the aftermarket tach wiring. I will supply a mate to this connector along with the terminals for easy tach installation. You will also notice that there are only fuses in half of the fuse block, the unfused half is for the 8 accessory wires. All of the wires are already installed in the fuse block and will just need to be routed, I made them all 4' long but I plan to increase the length to 8' on half of them. All accessory wires are 14 gauge, this will allow you to power anything from 5-40 amps. I will also include an assortment of fuses for the accessories.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

I have no idea on the final price, as I haven't finished adding parts to the kit yet. Which is good or bad depeding on how you look at it. Good as it gives the installer more parts to work with making the install easier, bad because it makes the final price higher. Then again, with todays prices,what is a trip saved to the autoparts store for loose piece terminals worth?

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

I'm reaching the end of day 2 of my manual writting, 14 pages already. I need a picture of a 66 or at least the earlier dash layout that shows the switch locations. I've got schematics that show the headlight switch to the left of the gauge cluster with a washer pump switch below it, but thats all I can make out in the drawing. Would it be possible for someone to post a picture with the switch locations labeled. It doesn't have to be a great picture, it could be a drawing in MS Paint for all I care, I am going to transfer that data to a drawing I have of the dash. I will be covering the dash connections on Monday and just thought I'd give myself a 2 day head start on trying to find info.

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
I'm reaching the end of day 2 of my manual writting, 14 pages already. I need a picture of a 66 or at least the earlier dash layout that shows the switch locations. I've got schematics that show the headlight switch to the left of the gauge cluster with a washer pump switch below it, but thats all I can make out in the drawing. Would it be possible for someone to post a picture with the switch locations labeled. It doesn't have to be a great picture, it could be a drawing in MS Paint for all I care, I am going to transfer that data to a drawing I have of the dash. I will be covering the dash connections on Monday and just thought I'd give myself a 2 day head start on trying to find info.

I'm sorry I couldnt get this for you Eric. I'm 200 miles from my Bronco during the weekdays and just havent been able to get those pics for you. I will check with a buddy of mine that has access to the Bronco and see if he can get them to me somehow.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

it's no big deal, I'm sure someone here already has a picture, or can point me in the right direction. I have a good idea about what they are, but I like real world info instead of 40+ year old paperwork.

Rob, is that the exact book you guys have been looking for?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
This probably won't help much but here is a pic from the owner's manual of a 73. I'm sure someone has a manual from a 66.

Attachments

• 73man-07.jpg
    73man-07.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 28

ShortBus

Eric,
I have never actually seen it before, so I would have to say that is is exactly what I expected.
Paul- Does this look like the book? :)

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

This probably won't help much but here is a pic from the owner's manual of a 73. I'm sure someone has a manual from a 66.

I'm trying to create a drawing just like that one for the 66 dash. In fact you or someone else posted that picture before and I just redrew it to clean up some of the lines.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

thanks to a couple pictures posted by bajabronco I think I have it. Would those of you who have actually seen one of these dashes, unlike myself, like to confirm what I have is correct?
1966dashID.jpg

Last edited:

kelpy

My 1966 doesn't have the hazard switch or brake warning light. There can't be a warning light because the 1966 master cylinder only has one reservoir for all four corners. If mine had that light and it lit up, it would mean that really bad things are about to happen. That dash must be a '67 or 68.

Pat

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

I found the following in an old post.
I haven't seen a good diagram for '66 dashes.

Can you help fill in what I think I have figured out,
or correct me if I'm wrong?

left of the instrument cluster - top to bottom:
01 = lights
02 = washer
03 = choke

right of the instrument cluster - top to bottom:
04 = emergency flasher switch
05 = emergency flasher indicator
06 = throttle

next column - top to bottom:
07 = cigar lighter
08 = none or unknown
09 = ignition

heater stuff - left to right:
10 = floor / defrost control
11 = heat / fan control
12 = temp control

EDIT: I think I've filled it in correctly . . .
Thanks Mill KNOB

So the light I'm seeing is a hazard switch indicator, not a brake warning lamp?

kelpy

The light must be a brake warning light because the hazards would use the turn signal indicator lights in the instrument bezel. The dual master cylinder was added in 1967 so that is when the warning light must have been added as well.
To answer your original inquiry though, a 1966 dash does not have an emergency hazard switch or the warning light. There is just the cigar lighter and ignition switch as shown to the right of the steering column.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I don't have any pics that I can find, but I believe my 66 did have a light in the dash for the hazard switch.

John

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Eric,
I have never actually seen it before, so I would have to say that is is exactly what I expected.
Paul- Does this look like the book? :)

That's the one. You should submit a photo to Amazon so they can post it up in the page on their website.
Yours looks to be in good shape.

Paul

ShortBus

That's the one. You should submit a photo to Amazon so they can post it up in the page on their website.
Yours looks to be in good shape.

Paul
Done! Paul did you order the other one? I think that it took about a week for me to get it. Should start a new thread about this, I have several service manuals related to the Broncos. It would be interesting to see what others have.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think I'll have to. I know I still have mine somewhere.
In the meantime, I did find the one I borrowed from a friend which is just like yours. The same '66 to '77 one.
Sure glad you got yours so fast. Good score.
I'm still holding out hope for mine.

Paul

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

since manual writting is a slow, and very boring process. Here's something new to add to the thread. As I mentioned, we filmed the entire install process. Our IT guy has been editing the hours and hours of footage we shot and is putting together a video. Here is the first third, still in it's unfinished state. I need to add audio to it. I'll have some down time to do that once my test install harnesses go out. There are 2 videos here, both are the same just reorganized a bit and things like a funny back ground music and different intro were added to one.Remember it is by no means finished and is still a work in progress. This only shows the dash connections, engine and tail section to follow as soon as progress is made.http://www.youtube.com/user/painlessbart