• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring Bronco- Your input appreciated

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
New fusebox will work in the ashtray area but you won't be able to do it like I did with the previous harness and smaller fusebox.
You will need to cut the dash to make it fit. I wanted the 77 dash to look stock on mine.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

barely 3 hours and he answers....this forum is certainly one of the best.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

Has anyone recieved there harness yet? If so, what do you think of it?

rharrell

Loc.
Benton, LA
Got mine yesterday from WH! Looks very nice... in the box! I'll let you know once I get to work on it next week. Sorry, that's as soon as I can get some "Bronco Time".
Rich

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dear Eric and CB members. I just purchased the Painless from WH. I am a tough customer to satusfy and I am impressed! Eric, I'd better get my powerbraid too as I mailed it today! Anyways I want everyone to know that even though Summit too sells the harness (and will price match WH) we should support WH. It is vendors like WH/BCB/Tom's/JBG/ Delta 4 wheel/WCB/etc that have risked specializing in your beloved EB's. We need to continue our support of them as they all have their own unique products that make our own Early Broncos so unique. Just my .02 cents. BI

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

I called and emailed Jim at WH numerous times during the the design process and even sent him a test harness to install. He had a lot of input into the harness. While I can't actually say for anyone to buy from one place over another, Summit is a very good distributor, Jim did take time of of his day on more than one occassion to offer help and/or information. I fell that it shows that he's not only interested in taking your money for a product he sells, he wants the product he sells to be the best it can be. I just thought I'd throw that out there for what it may be worth to some of you.

BI, I'm sure it will be shipped out ASAP.

Johnny

Wow... I just spent three solid hours reading every post (including links) in this thread.... and I can honestly say that when I get to this step in my build, I plan on going with the Painless wiring harness that you've put together.... along with the EFI wiring harness as well.... great job..

Oh Eric... you said back towards the begining of this thread, that you designed a wiring harness for the 69-70 model Mustangs... I don't guess you/ Painless plan on doing one for the 71-73 Mustangs too???

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

the 71-73 mustang harness has been on the to do list for several years now and things keep getting pushed in front of it. It is still there but I now have 3 model specific harneeses in front of it. Customers call in asking for one type of harness and when time comes to start a new project, we go with what the customers are wanting most.

Johnny

I can understand that... I still have a few years before I can start on restoring my Mach 1 anyway... hopefully by then you all will have gotting around to it....

Thanks for the reply...

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

I am going to create another turn signal pigtail to add to the kit. This will alow those with a 2 connector set up to just simply plug and adapter between the new harness and the wires of the steering colomn.

the early production years had 2 connectors on the steering column (a 6 pin and a 2 pin) Does anyone happen to have a picture of the 2 pin connector found on the factory harness? I'm almost certain I have both connectors in stock, but need to see an up close picture of the 2 pin to know for sure.

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
This thread is amazing. Eric and Painless should serve as the benchmark for how automotive companies perform R&D. Painless now finds themselves with an entire internet community that has bought into their product simply because they were included. Even more importantly, opinions and ideas were incorporated through the use of an open and public forum. Nice job Eric. I think you deserve a raise for this success.

I'm off to purchase a harness for both my 68 and 77.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

This thread is amazing. Eric and Painless should serve as the benchmark for how automotive companies perform R&D. Painless now finds themselves with an entire internet community that has bought into their product simply because they were included. Even more importantly, opinions and ideas were incorporated through the use of an open and public forum. Nice job Eric. I think you deserve a raise for this success.

I'm off to purchase a harness for both my 68 and 77.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll pass your raise reccomendation onto the president of the company in the morning. I'm willing to bet thats as far as it goes, there's always hope though.

This was the first time I've taken this approach to the R&D process, and now I think back to some of the past harnesses I've done and wish I had done the same. I've got a lot of pride in this harness and hope to hear from some of those who have installed it. rather it be in this thread, by phone, or through reviews left on our website. If there is anything someone thinks could be added or chaged to make it a better harness or easier install, I'd like to hear it. It has been my goal since day one for this to be the absolute best harness on the market for the early Bronco. Rather it be harness questions before purchase, install questions, complaints about the harness, whatever my office # is (817) 244-6212 ext 1024.

Last edited:

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I have installed the Centech harness. It was a good harness but lacked a wiring diagram for some minor questions, and I was not impressed with their customer service. After reading this thread I will be buying the Painless for my build I am doing right now. Thanks for all that you have done to make the wiring jobs as Painless as possible.

ShortBus

If you missed it at superlift, I will be bringing the 71', that Eric did the install, to the Lonestar (LEBC) Round-up at Katemcy. Everyone is welcome to take a look at Eric's hard work!

TJ1968

Eric, I was just starting the research for the re-wiring of a 69 and then a 68. I Found this in another forum which has pictures of wiring installation
I hope it helps. I'll need to rewire my 69 before you are done. Keep in mind, many people are visual learners - the more actual pictures you can supply the better off we are.
http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=272729

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

the finished harness has been on the market for about 5 months, so when you get to the re-wire of your 69, the new harness will certainly be available to you. Also, I agree 100% most "car guys" are visual learners, I myself look at pictures and text around pictures before ever thinking about reading the actual printed text in a set of directions. With that in mind I like to write my instruction manuals how I would want to see them. If you look over the instruction manual you will see I provided tons or drawings and pictures.

rharrell

Loc.
Benton, LA
Eric, I finished the install on "Ol Yeller" last month. Easy to understand instructions, everything was in the box and I would highly recommend the wire covers from Painless. I have a couple of suggestions
1. Add 18" to the orange wire from the voltage regulator to "flow" terminal on the alternator. Would allow a little more ability to adjust where you want the wires to run. Mainly out of the way of moving parts.
2. Shorten the wires to the voltage regulator 12". The regulator is mounted on the firewall and the wires reached all the way to the radiator mount.
3. Use a slightly larger terminal on the "+" ring terminal. I had to ream out the ring to fit the terminal post.
4. Add 4" to the washer pump wires to allow easier intall of aftermarket bottles.

Great set up and everything works the first time!
Thanks, Rich