• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring Bronco- Your input appreciated

eric0o1

My name is Eric; I'm a design engineer for Painless Performance. I am in the process of re-designing our bronco harness, which may now in fact be 2 seperate harnesses ('66-early '71 and late '71-'77) to accomodate the 2 seperate fuse block locations. Any input members of the forum have on what they would like included in the harness, omitted, or anyhting else involving this re-design, is greatly appreciated. I am currently designing the late '71-77 harness, thanks to a member on the forum for the '71 loaned to me.

Now to the issue at hand: I was wondering if any members here could share pictures or possibly even take some of any of the switch connectors located behind the dash The main things I am looking for are headlight, turn signal, wiper switch, wiper motor. This will help me to identify connectors so I can include all the connectors I can with the new harness. So if you could, could you post up the pics and list what the connector goes to and what year model. I'm sure this is just a starter for the many questions I will have over the next few weeks. Thanks in advance.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Bumping this post to the top. It was accidentally flagged by the forum spam filter, so didn't show up the first time. Sorry about that Eric and welcome to the site.

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Sorry, I don't have pics of the under dash components. What I think would be a major plus is having the under dash harness detachable from the rest of the harness through a bulkhead type of connector. This would allow us to remove the dash without having to disconnect a dozen different connectors.

tomvzw

Loc.
Denver, CO
I second that Idea. Let me know when its done and Ill order one. (Promise) I have been doing a bit of electric work lately and seriously considering getting a new harness just for piece of mind. I am also talking about building a new dash with new gauges. Perfect time to do it at once.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I don't understand why anyone would want the fuse block on the firewall (66 -71). I have a 70 and would much rather have it in the glove box or kick panel, some place easy to get to.

Why not just make one harness?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Eric,
I have the Ford diagrams for all the connectors for the 75 model year if that would help.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I don't understand why anyone would want the fuse block on the firewall (66 -71). I have a 70 and would much rather have it in the glove box or kick panel, some place easy to get to.

I think the bigger issue shouldn't be the fusebox location but rather where the harness enters the engine compartment. Early years and later years are different in that aspect along with the fuse box. You are right that in the glove box would be better....

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Glovebox would be OK if the fusebox was covered. I don't like to carry metal objects in there now. That's probably why they called it a glovebox and not a toolbox though.

seahawkfan

Loc.
Vacaville, Ca
Don't know if these help or not but figured I would try anyway. Make sure to let us know when they are going to hit the market and maybe think about fixin us up with a mass buy. I'm getting ready to start my dash soon and plan on a new harness when I do it.
Pic of the gauge cluster would be opposite of the back of the cluster obviously. One pic is wiper switch andn other is ignition.
If the pics are not self explanatory just ask.

Jeff

Attachments

• dimmer switch (Large).jpg
    dimmer switch (Large).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 122
  • emergency flashers (Large).jpg
    emergency flashers (Large).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 140
  • headlight (Large).jpg
    headlight (Large).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3980 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3980 (Large).JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3981 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3981 (Large).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3983 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3983 (Large).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3984 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3984 (Large).JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 216

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Eric,
Here you go, This is a harness off one of my 77s. You can see it is still in good shape with all the main connectors intact, some individual leads were spliced.
I tried to get most pics of the dash connectors.. I'm sure you can make them out. If you have questions about them let me know..
Aloha,
Honorio aka madgyver

BTW, Eric, If you want I could send this stock 77 harness out to you for you to disect and go through it for reference. I won't need it for awhile. Give me a call on my cell. I'll be flying out to Maui in a few hours for work..

Attachments

• DSC03676.JPG
    DSC03676.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC03677.JPG
    DSC03677.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC03678.JPG
    DSC03678.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC03679.JPG
    DSC03679.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC03680.JPG
    DSC03680.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC03681.JPG
    DSC03681.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC03682.JPG
    DSC03682.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC03683.JPG
    DSC03683.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC03684.JPG
    DSC03684.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03686.JPG
    DSC03686.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

Like it was mentioned, there will be 2 harnesses because of the different routing through the years. That seems to be the biggest complaint we get, people want the way the factory did it. While I can't say I always agree, people always want it the way the factory did it. Someone with a '66-early '71 could certainly use the late '71-'77 harness. All some one would have to do is make an extra hole in the firewall, cut a hole in the glove box, and cover the hole left from the factory fuse block. At this point every thing else seems to be the same. Late '71 had the early hazard switch position and turn signal connector, that's the 2 biggest differences I can think of right now. I'm sure there are a couple others.

Also, both fuse blocks in the harness will be weatherproof (sealed and covered). There is one main 20 circuit fuse block, and a smaller 3 circuit fuse block, 2 circuits of which will be for power when the ignition switch is in the ACC. position. Our main 20 circuit is bussed internally which makes it either constant or switched depending on how you power each side of it. Both fuse blocks will use mini fuses.

The recommendation on adding the connectors to separate the dash harness have been noted. I can not say yes or no to it being added yet though.Those types of connectors can be very expensive.

Honorio, I'll get in touch with you about that harness. It'd be great to have that one here.

Last edited:

seahawkfan

Loc.
Vacaville, Ca
I have a harness out of a 70 (I think). I won't need it for a couple months or so (if at all since I would rather use new). If I can figure the year you could probably use it also. PM me if you need it. I think I even have most of the wires tagged.

Jeff

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Like it was mentioned, there will be 2 harnesses because of the different routing through the years. That seems to be the biggest complaint we get, people want the way the factory did it. While I can't say I always agree, people always want it the way the factory did it. Someone with a '66-early '71 could certainly use the late '71-'77 harness. All some one would have to do is make an extra hole in the firewall, cut a hole in the glove box, and cover the hole left from the factory fuse block. At this point every thing else seems to be the same. Late '71 had the early hazard switch position and turn signal connector, that's the 2 biggest differences I can think of right now. I'm sure there are a couple others.

Thanks for clearing that up.

For me, it is worth the extra effort to have the fuse block easier to get to.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
for me with a 77
I would want to keep the fuse panel in the stock location on the side of the glove box. I don't mind a little bigger fuse panel, and since we have a carboard , or in my case a plastic glove box liner, it isn't really any problem to cut a bigger hole in the side.

Also I don't know what year, but I know my 77 has the hazzard switch in the steering collumn

It also would be cool is you could make a option for those of us who have replace out factory speedo/guage cluster, with aftermarket gauges. Something like a plug for the fan control, the headlight, wiper switch, and fuel guage. Then just include a wire for the lights for the aftermarket gages lights, and a wire to a aftermarket volt guage.

That could be a good option for any year bronco

ransil

Bronco Guru
For the steering columns, you could provide both ends, something like an AMP mat-n- lock instead of trying to find a replacement to plug into the stock harness.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

for me with a 77
I would want to keep the fuse panel in the stock location on the side of the glove box. I don't mind a little bigger fuse panel, and since we have a carboard , or in my case a plastic glove box liner, it isn't really any problem to cut a bigger hole in the side.

Also I don't know what year, but I know my 77 has the hazzard switch in the steering collumn

It also would be cool is you could make a option for those of us who have replace out factory speedo/guage cluster, with aftermarket gauges. Something like a plug for the fan control, the headlight, wiper switch, and fuel guage. Then just include a wire for the lights for the aftermarket gages lights, and a wire to a aftermarket volt guage.

That could be a good option for any year bronco

'72 was the first year for the hazard switch in the dash. Wiring for aftermarket gauges, all of those wires are already there in your factory harness, as well as aftermarket harnesses. There is a gauge power circuit as well as a gauge lighting circuit. The factory gauges connect just as most aftermarkets do. I do however have provisions in my re-design for an aftermarket tach (12v, ground, back light power, signal to coil "-").

Also, I have the early turn signal connector in stock, and it will be included in both harnesses. The gray connector used in '72 -'77 has been discontinued and no one is molding it. The same goes for the headlight switch and wiper switch connectors, those are connectors we've been trying to locate for years. The harness at this point will have the factory style terminals used in the '72-'77 for the turn signal switch installed on the harness. The customer will have to unpin and re-use their factory gray connector from their OEM harness. The '66-'71 turn switch connector and terminals will be included as a partks kit for those with a late'71. The headlight switch and wiper switch connections will be made through push on style terminals, like we've previosly done, that will come installed on the harness. These will already be pinned out onto new switches as well. I will include factory style terminals in the parts kit for those wanting to reuse thier factory connectors.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
'72 was the first year for the hazard switch in the dash.

'66 was the first year for the hazard switch in the dash. It moved to the column in '74.

Something to keep in mind: there are basically three dash layouts when considering the location of switches; '66-'67, '68-'72, '73-'77.

I have some suggestions for you:
Since you terminate the ground wires for us (as in the front ts/headlight portion), please use the larger star type ring terminal, larger to fit the stock ground screw and star type which bites into the metal like stock.
Use a little larger bullitt connector for the rear side markers or confirm the one you use actually fits the original connector.
To mount the fuse panel to the glove box, it would be a good idea to strongly suggest the owner use a plastic box. I only have experience with your 20 circuit panel (very nice btw) but there's no way I'd trust a paper box with it. That panel fits the box quite well if positioned properly but you might consider supplying the box with the hole already made for those without the skills to do it. A template might suffice but there's not a lot of room for error as you can see in these pics.

ResizeofP1280001.jpg

ResizeofP1280002.jpg

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

I meant to say '72 was the first year for the switch in the column. As far as the marker light connectors go, I have sourced single, double, and even quad molded connectors just like the factory used for things like the turn signals, side makers, tail lamps, and wiper motor. Making these connections will never be a problem again. I've got a metal bracket designed that will fit on the inside of the box in order to help mount the fuse block. Also, I'm sure I could find it with a simple search, but who makes a plastic glove box for these vehicles?

This is great guys, keep the ideas commin'!!!

Last edited:

bighorn

I think most of the vendors have the plastic boxes. I know BC Broncos and Jeffs does.