• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 Explorer Rebuild: year 8/9/10/11

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice.... just stay patient.

Thanks guys, and thanks for all your support and moral support, it's been way tougher than I ever would have thought starting out 12 years ago. Even though I have really only been on it for three years.

Lessons learned, build motor and tranny last. Don't put tires on until you are done with paint or are really driving it. I would probably go for wiring with dash on even though tabletop was nice, it messed my home up for 9 months, and now I have an issue with radio that worked on table, not so much in truck.

Dakota digital is the bomb, makes it so you can lose all those round gages, even though I will add a vacuum and oil temp gage. That said, nothing wrong with stock rebuilt gage set from that guy in Salt lake, sorry forgot his name, i bought two from him, both beautifully done. Just changed direction...

To think it started with a leaky valve cover, and then slowly morphed into full restore, then full resto mod, then rock crawler, now back to resto with some spiffy tough stuff for offroad use.

Dropped it at Randy at Driven today to fine tune some of the stuff I just don't have tools, time for. Plus, well, they make hard look to easy. Best of the best here on 32nd Ave.

I'm in middle of move, garage sale this weekend and selling house within next three or so weeks. My tools all at the new place. I'm not a mechanic this month:) Going to retire fulltime to North of Payson AZ. Now you know why I didn't install AC unit. My drive around town yesterday for three hours at 101 degrees was about as hot as I'd like it to be, but was fine moving old metal around, lots of thumbs up, and a few horn honks I returned with my 4 horn caddy setup.

Here is shot of mastercraft baja RS, it's the first and I think only full suspension seat which reclines. Adjustable headrest, looks very period correct, not dissing the one peice with intigrated headrest just wanted the older look.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
JUst adding this from back in 2017 so i don't forget:

I picked up a NAPa branded fan for a 2009 GMC Envoy 4.2 liter non electric fan clutch.
Part number 2851. ACDelco part number 15-40144.

Bolts right up to larger metal fan of explorer blade. Increases height just over 1 inch from stock explorer clutch.

Fan now sits just under 2 inches from radiator on top and just over 1 inch at bottom, with clutch sitting 1 inch from core. Fan sits inside shroud with just under 3/4 sticking out back of top, and 1/4 sticking out back of bottom.

Job done, thanks CB folks! No mod required to shroud.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Done.

Or are we:)

Picked up 73 from Randy and the folks at Driven, they say it helped them survive a knife attack or something:)

Cannot believe how well the new rubber seals keep the exhaust out.

Still love the nv4500.

Even more so the 347.

After about 300 miles around town freeways. I headed to home in the Mountains North of Payson. I have to apologize to the guys I scoffed going 80 mph. Heck, this thing just getsa rolling at 80, solid as a rock. Yes, little bnump steer below 55mph.

My numbers are 2000 rpm at 65 in 5th, 2200 at 75ish. 35's with 4.11 gearing.

New KM3's solved the vibration. Now it's quite, yes normal speaking voice at 65 windows down.

More impressive, 65 up some pretty steep hills into the mountains.

More later.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks!

As with all things it's never "done". Coming down my "little" hill I stop to get mail and smell gas, I see a puddle about 1 cup of gas by passenger tire. My evap line is not connected to anything yet, I left it to vent and no issue driving around flat phoenix. Obtained a cap to seal it off until fixed. The vent line ends about 2 inches from header on frame rail....

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
Thanks!

As with all things it's never "done". Coming down my "little" hill I stop to get mail and smell gas, I see a puddle about 1 cup of gas by passenger tire. My evap line is not connected to anything yet, I left it to vent and no issue driving around flat phoenix. Obtained a cap to seal it off until fixed. The vent line ends about 2 inches from header on frame rail....

good thing you figured that one out quick!

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
DAY: 4698

So only thing I could find as a rollover valve was a part from England I think it's used in hi end golf carts, there were larger ones but they cost $200, this one was $60 I think.

Next bad part it uses smaller hose ends so I am going to have to frankenfit some fittings to go from larger tank vent to small valve to larger vent line to EVAP canister.

Parts for first oil change and need to drill and tap one of the drain plugs for the oil temp sensor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Start over on the rollover thingy.

Here it is, the final last straw version that works:

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/...tmmRMTs8wBXEo97n_2PJ66BomXldqylxoC4mAQAvD_BwE

Delorean just to small. One from england, same. This one from tanksinc is 5/16 hose so no crazy brass fittings to make it work.

BTW, lesson learned wioth front shock hoop and evap can on frame, hoop welds right over spot round stock 73 can mounts. So I'm going to have to locate it further after. More work...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regarding the evap tank, if you want to keep the original that's ok, but if you want to kill two birds by updating the tank and eliminating the in-cab tank (which I thought you were doing already?) then just switch to the '76 and newer charcoal canister and mount it either up on the firewall, or better yet with your shock hoop, just in front of and behind the front leg of the hoop. This puts it almost as high as the top of the firewall, and keeps it out of the way of other under-hood stuff if your engine compartment is already crowded.

I actually have a picture somewhere of a friend's '73 that we did that way but I have not been able to find it lately. He mounted it behind the hoop and it came out very slick.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Start over on the rollover thingy.

Here it is, the final last straw version that works:

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/...tmmRMTs8wBXEo97n_2PJ66BomXldqylxoC4mAQAvD_BwE

Delorean just to small. One from england, same. This one from tanksinc is 5/16 hose so no crazy brass fittings to make it work.

BTW, lesson learned wioth front shock hoop and evap can on frame, hoop welds right over spot round stock 73 can mounts. So I'm going to have to locate it further after. More work...

Always something for sure

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Annnnnd still not working it, seems I'm now building a shed, a home addition, a deck, a carport. Hopefully before snow.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so after a shed, covid, working in Dallas for a year, I'm back, more or less. Between rebuilding an RV to take trips, plodding along with final few home improvements of room addition, decking, hot tub, I'm de-rocking the EB

What started back in 2008 as a simple valve cover leak, morphed into an engine rebuild, into beefing up axles with ARB's, to full restomod frame for rock crawling with 3.5 lift, is now detuning to a road worthy fun truck.

First up, remove 3.5 lift, drop to 1.5 lift, 2 inch BL.

All going well until stupid raised track bar bracket results in 1/4 inch of suspension travel at 1.5 SL. Awaiting Toms stock track bar mount to fix that issue. other than that, no interference from 22 gallon fuel tank when dropped, or moroso 7 qt oil pan on front diff. One issue, track bar is needed to be modified to lower suspension, at welder.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, after a second round of covid, I swapped 3.5 to 1.5 lift, drives great, except for pesky bump stop on track bar mount. I have an appt with welder to weld on replacement track bar mount from Toms.

Found my P/S leak. Appears the fitting into Hi Press port on steering box is really old school way of using an AN to flare fitting, then AN pressure hose. ie, opportunities to leak, never saw it because it was magically spraying out left front onto ground right in front of tire. New hose made for 4x4x2 box enroute from WH.

That is all till more parts arrive. Now working on RV solar setup. What could go wrong.