• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV Something isn't right here...

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-...ash=item21533471f8:g:55MAAOSw6KxcUe2v&vxp=mtr

I got all excited when I saw this one. Perfect driver Roadster! 289, original inserts, Whitco riser, bed rails, gutter extensions, and includes the bows. No mirror though.

I know its not original paint, but it looked like a killer U13. Then I saw the warranty plate on the kick panel. U15!

So there are a couple explanations:

1. Dealer added all Roadster components per owner's request

2. Someone took the time to add all Roadster items including the gutters, which seems highly unlikely.

So which is it? ?:??:??:?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Interesting..... I bet that rancher dude that bought it took the top off and found out he liked it. Then he got the dealer to add the roadster bits and top to give him a little weather protection...

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Pretty bizarro and interesting. What's A32 axle code, haven't seen that one before? Just A3 and other two digit codes.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
I got all excited when I saw this one. Whitco riser, bed rails, gutter extensions, and includes the bows.

Jimmy, I need to send a picture of my roadster convertible hardware. I think it's whitco but my bed rails look different than the ones in that auction they are straight metal not curving on the end. I have several rods with flat stock welded to them. I don't have the aluminum door flap covers on the inserts, but can see where they were screwed on. The owner I just bought it from is going to his moms to look for the canvas top and doors. I got just about all the hardware with the roadster, But didn't get the rain gutters
sad,

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
How about "it was cheaper to turn it into a roadster " after it was rolled ? I had a U15 once that after I stripped it to bare metal that I discovered why it became a roadster ! :eek:

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Jimmy, I need to send a picture of my roadster convertible hardware. I think it's whitco but my bed rails look different than the ones in that auction they are straight metal not curving on the end. I have several rods with flat stock welded to them. I don't have the aluminum door flap covers on the inserts, but can see where they were screwed on. The owner I just bought it from is going to his moms to look for the canvas top and doors. I got just about all the hardware with the roadster, But didn't get the rain gutters
sad,

I'll PM you my contact info, and I'll let you know what you have!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
How about "it was cheaper to turn it into a roadster " after it was rolled ? I had a U15 once that after I stripped it to bare metal that I discovered why it became a roadster ! :eek:

That isn't out of the question, but usually when that happens it all aftermarket stuff.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Interesting..... I bet that rancher dude that bought it took the top off and found out he liked it. Then he got the dealer to add the roadster bits and top to give him a little weather protection...

That's a logical theory. It's pretty well done to be a random thing.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
What is color code "S" for '66?

It's Poppy Red. Sometimes late in the production year the color code wont be on charts until the following year. This is one of those cases being a late '66.

elan

Loc.
s
I'm going to take the opposite view on this. As long as the buy is right (which only the seller knows for now) it doesn't look to bad. The tailgate is toast ( I think it's a uni-brow)
What if the inserts and other parts were available at the counter for an owner to change their Bronco. I've seen several U13 with hardtops and hard doors.
.....it seems like the majority of the Bronco owners here change everything they can.
Sooo I vote for potential. But, notice you don't see the entire dash?...shame on you mr.seller.....what are you hiding? Me thinks you hide more.......
By the way, how do we know it is a factory V8 Bronco?

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
I asked the seller what he wanted for it a few hours after he listed it. I wanted to buy it, get all the Roadster bits, add doors and a top an resell. BUT...the seller has a 20K reserve on it. So much for that!

75Denver

I went and looked at it the other day. Like all of those before, it raised several questions for me as well. Was the VIN tag swapped (no...) It's been in some sort of front end wreck given the inner fenders and radiator support. The rear driver-side quarter panel can be pulled rather easily in and out from the tailgate indicating it's probably been used HARD on a ranch and needs some under-body structural support. The engine looks original and since the N-code is there, must have been a special order. Also to see original poppy paint peeking through in the tub says the S-code is correct as well. It fired up with a little persistence and evened out on the idle after 5mins or so. All in all, its cool but I agree, the asking price is too high for all it needs.

elan

Loc.
s
The VIN will tell you. It starts with “U15N...” The “N” is the engine code for a 289.

Thank you Slowleak.........I should know those things after 35+ years in Broncos......damn old mind.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
With a 798 body code too, what are the odds of a double misstamp lol.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
"The frame has a slight bend on the right front behind the radius arm but I was told that this is a very common issue with early Bronco's and would be easy to repair."

In all the Bronco's I have ever seen never heard of this one. My money is on a significant crash or rollover.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
"The frame has a slight bend on the right front behind the radius arm but I was told that this is a very common issue with early Bronco's and would be easy to repair."

In all the Bronco's I have ever seen never heard of this one. My money is on a significant crash or rollover.

You never can tell....