• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

can't install new ignition tumbler

rickmac

I was replacing the locks and both doors and thought I'd replace the ignition tumbler too since it was the whole package and I could only use one key for all. I got the old tumbler out okay but can't seem to get in the new one. Any advice, videos, instructions, etc.? I'm having a devil of a time and it's supposed to be pretty easy. I've got a 1974 Bronco.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am not a fan of some of the aftermarket tumblers. I have had better luck with complete switches that were already together. I had the same issue as you with trying to get those to fit and started buying whole switches complete after that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Verify that the new tumbler is all the way into the unlock/remove/reinstall position. If not you have to put the paper clip in the hole and turn it that last bit to get the two bits to align.
Also, if the slot in the back of the switch has shifted while you were messing around, you'll have to reach back there with a screwdriver or other implement and turn it back to the full left position so that the new cylinder will line up when it's in the full-left "unlock" position.

Paul

OP
OP
R

rickmac

Thanks, guys. Still can't turn the bezel and push in on the ignition switch enough to pry it loose. I'll keep trying. There's not much room under the dash. All the videos show the whole unit (which is brand new, by the way) removed from the dash. It's a little bit easier to grab and turn that way. Anyway, I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry, I forgot you already had the old one out and just needed to get a new one in. Should have re-read before I typed.