• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Camping in the bronco

crashmc2

The track looks great! as for the seat in a crash, that track is copied from the airline industry, they mount their seat to it, so it probably isn't much of an issue, just my thoughts.
That was my thought too. I'm keeping the restraints connected to the body and the people aren't connected to the seat. So the energy and weight isn't transferred to the bolts on the stock bench seat in the first place and won't with this set up. Allows modularity for when it's just the gf and I going and we don't need a back seat or if I've got a couple passengers. My concern is the size of the bolts aren't impressive haha, but they're still spread out over the length of the track.

The seat is a couple hours away in storage, so it'll be a little bit until I can fit it up and post pictures. The tie downs fit great though!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

broncojohn

Just got back from Michigan's UP. Here's a few pics of my homegrown military camper trailer. Used a double model cot tent for the sleeping quarters. Weighs just under 1000 pounds loaded up with camping gear, 10 gallons of water, and 4 gallons of spare fuel. Bronco pulls it nicely.

That's awesome thank you for the pictures

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Great thread. I was going to build a rack so I can keep the soft top up but had decided it is to damn high in the air just on the roll bar. I like the little tag along trailer idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_163008.jpg
    IMG_20211001_163008.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 97

crashmc2

I'm in the process of doing L-track with removable tie downs. I can actually make the back seat removable as well, but there will be some serious consideration before I do that. For safety reasons. The track will hold the seat in a crash and the passengers are still secured via the normal manner with grade 8 bolts to the body for the seat belts, but still. They're small bolts, even though it's spread over 38 of them.

It's the same track that's used with airline seats and I've seen it on military aircraft for hooking up cargo, but requires a lot of holes to be drilled. Looks really good with rubber mat instead of carpet too. I'm doing it in conjunction with a gas tank swap, so anyone looking at this has to keep that in mind when doing this. Only the rear 3 bolts of the center one are blocked by the tank. There's 3 each of the other 2 center tracks that are easier with the tank out, but the longer side tracks can be put in easily. They're on the outside of the frame.

I'm gonna get 1/4 thick rubber strips to protect the top of the tank from the bottom of the only two bolts over it, in the event of an accident. They're short, perfectly distanced to barely poke past the nut so shouldn't be a hazard anyways. It's better than the bolt that was there before though. I'm going to redo the washers with metal stringers before I get too far. But it's the M1A1 tank from Wild Horses, so it's sturdy.

This whole set up is for cargo and not passengers, so if anyone is willing to work around a fold up seat, this would be perfect. I don't have one and to upgrade later may not be an option because of how many tracks I've got in there.

A note before the questions are asked: I'm doing a transmission swap here soon and the front mat will need to be cut properly for the auto. That's why the insulation is poking up. The carpet is still in the front, so I'm waiting for the swap before installing all of that. I want the gas tank in now, so I need to get the rear mat in to get the rails and bolts in. It won't impede proper install of the front though.
7a61f11af38be122f4f1885017c1be9f.jpg

Here's my finalized idea. Took a bit as I got preoccupied with finishing the cab and center console.
b890bd53c72509809d1c898d1e49d989.jpg

zman1971

My elk camp set up, 12x14 wall tent hooks to it.;D

Attachments

• IMG_20210809_154624942_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210809_154624942_HDR.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20210809_154635655_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210809_154635655_HDR.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 55