Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 11/13/18, 10:00 AM   #1
pipeline010
Contributor

SJ= cows+hot chicks
Garage
The State of NAPA Auto Parts

Came across some interesting info the other day regarding NAPA. Maybe everyone already knows what I'm about to say and it's already out there but I was surprised and had it really click once I realized it.

If you want the beef just skip the narrative story.

Story:

I needed some POR-15 products last week so I could do my frame over the long weekend. I had previously picked up a starter pack to try it out from a local NAPA store a few months ago, but when I had bought it the box was literally coated in dust and the store looked really really crummy and run down.

So last week when I went back there the store looked even worse. I asked the guy at the counter if they had por15 he didn't know what it was. I asked him if he had any rust-proofing paints and he showed me basic primer and top coat paint. Absolutely zero knowledge of what I was attempting to do and very little interest either. Just wanted to get back on his phone.

I was out shopping with the family at various places, so I stopped eventually at another NAPA (same story) and then a general paint store. The paint store people were nice, but didn't carry those kinds of products.

As we went on we came across ANOTHER NAPA. I wasn't going to stop, but the place looked very busy and bright. So I tried it out.

FULL stock of POR-15, 4 people working registers. Everyone wanted to know what I was rust-proofing, was excited to hear about the truck, etc, normal auto shop stuff. So at check out I asked the guy....what the heck is going on with napa??

And here was his response:

NAPA was purchased by the company Genuine Auto Parts. The company DID NOT WANT a retail chain. What they wanted was the parts supply chain...the trucks, the distribution centers, the drivers....so they could move their products more cheaply around the country without having to build their own network. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE RETAIL SEGMENT.

So what about the store I was in? Well, it turns out each NAPA can be privately owned. MOST of the ones in my area were bought by G.A.P. but the store I was in that was run excellently was owned by a man who owned 2 local NAPAs. G.A.P. has been trying to buy him out and, so far, he resisted.

I don't know what this means for your local NAPA, but I thought it was very telling and made a lot of sense with what I had been dealing with locally.
pipeline010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 10:04 AM   #2
tatersalad

Placerville

My Gallery
Garage
They are all Riebes in my area. All are ran good.

"The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children" Dietrich Bonhoeffer
351W, EFI, C4, Explorer Rad, Taurus fan, 33x12.50
tatersalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 10:12 AM   #3
crankman

Little Rock

My Gallery
Know exactly how you feel. I had a NAPA here that went to for years knew everyone that worked there and one day poof. There all gone shelves are thread bare and didnt have stock of my normal stuff been buying for years. Counter guy said they sold out to somebody, it changed this store for sure.

1976 302 4bbl, Pro Comp Entreme MT2 tires on 17X8 US Mags , C4, Warn M8000, 4.11 gears, Dual Batteries, ,170amp 3G alternator, Front & Rear Extended Fuel Tanks, ARB Front & Rear
crankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 10:27 AM   #4
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
eBay: ford_bill
Our local NAPA is well run and well stocked ..thank goodness.

'69 retro Bronco. Supercharged MPFI 8BA 239 V-8, C-4/D-20. Hydroboost. 5" lift.
bmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 10:29 AM   #5
half cab
Contributor
Guru Bronco

ride like the wind bullseye

Ms.

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc69 View Post
Our local NAPA is well run and well stocked ..thank goodness.
X2 at the one in lil ole Pontotoc

76 SPORT 351W C4 PDB
half cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 10:30 AM   #6
Boss Hugg
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Whad'ya need brakes for? All they do is slow ya down.

New Boston, TX
Garage
We only have one store, 30 miles from me and for that reason, we rarely buy there. Only when we absolutely cannot find something elsewhere. So I suppose it won't affect me much. But I do hate to hear it. There've been times when I was out of town that NAPA came in really handy.

1973, explorer 5.0/4r70w/d20, 5.13, 35's. Narrowed 78 9" 31 spline Grizzly w/ drums. D44 w/ chromo shafts, Spartan locker, with 78 disc brakes. homemade long arms and long travel shocks.
Boss Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 10:36 AM   #7
Seventee
Contributor

aka Redmt79

Montana
Garage
Ours is in good shape too. I haven't noticed anything changing. NAPA is usually my first stop, followed by O'Reilly.

We had a smaller NAPA store in a nearby town that was closer to where I used to live. It was a bit run down but the guy that ran it really seemed to know his stuff and he kept good stock on hand, so it didn't bother me. Unfortunately that store closed a few years ago.

A small Ford dealer in a nearby town just bit the dust too.

70 Bronco
79 Bronco - SOLD
79 F-150 4x4
2006 Super Duty
Seventee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 12:44 PM   #8
Hozr
Contributor
Bronco Guru

6(7?)8 RestoMod

Oly, WA

My Gallery
Just found out recently our local "commercial" NAPA was bought by a different existing franchise owner that has a reputation for running the stores into the ground. They never had what I wanted anyway and the counter help was mostly old men who didn't give a rats ass.

I mostly search on RockAuto now then buy wherever is cheapest since they have the most absurd shipping policies on the planet.

1968(67?) Bronco Sport Street Tractor!
Intercooled 4BT, ZF S5-42, 4.5" SL, 1.5" BL, 4.10/11 ARB's Front and Rear, 35x12.5 Toyo MT's on Allied 17" Bead locks
4BT Build Thread
Hozr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 02:26 PM   #9
jim3326
Contributor
Bronco Guru

When in doubt, gas it!

Appleturkey, NM

My Gallery
Garage
That would explain why the one around the corner from me suddenly closed and moved.

65/66 U15 Aug. build 3 1/2" WH SL, 1" BL, 5.0 EFI A9L, MSD 6al, NP435, d20, 4.56 Detroit soft lockers F&R, 35 x 12.5 Pitbull Rockers, Trailready beadlocks.
jim3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 03:16 PM   #10
kylakekevin
Contributor

Western KY
Garage
NAPA is my first stop also. Of course my best friend is manager and all I have to do is send him a text and parts are in the shop when I get home from work. It better not shut down I wont know how or where to buy parts!

1967 sport, 351 Cleveland, top loader 4 speed, Dana 20
kylakekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 07:30 PM   #11
needabronco
Bronco Guru

Prescott/Farmington

My Gallery
My local Napa had Bronco wiper blades in stock a few years ago. Between the 3 we have locally they generally have most things. One of my compression units is a 300 Ford 6 cylinder with a GM V6 distributor with the hei ignition. My parts guy found all of my parts simply based on that description....

1971 Mall Crawler- Resto mod. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...dabronco+frame

1970 Basket case

1966 U14
needabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/18, 08:12 PM   #12
bamabaja
Contributor

The Shoals
Havenít had a NAPA in our small town for 30+ years. We have usual Autozone, OReillys, etc so not terrible. Local young man is major off road addict, and has very successful small off road shop. He just got the NAPA franchise and is attaching garage specializing in off road parts and mods. Iím fire up about the possibilities. Interesting about the change in NAPA corporate philosophy.

Half Cap, u will have to drive all the way to Franklin Co !
bamabaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/18, 05:20 AM   #13
No Hay
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Tucson, AZ
Garage
Always NAPA for me in Oregon. The Salem and Clackamas locations were always busy, had parts by the next day and the folks were friendly. I hope they survive.

Now in Tucson, Oreilly's will be the test.
No Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/18, 05:42 AM   #14
half cab
Contributor
Guru Bronco

ride like the wind bullseye

Ms.

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaja View Post
Havenít had a NAPA in our small town for 30+ years. We have usual Autozone, OReillys, etc so not terrible. Local young man is major off road addict, and has very successful small off road shop. He just got the NAPA franchise and is attaching garage specializing in off road parts and mods. Iím fire up about the possibilities. Interesting about the change in NAPA corporate philosophy.

Half Cap, u will have to drive all the way to Franklin Co !
Hey that's no step,for a stepper

76 SPORT 351W C4 PDB
half cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/18, 06:46 AM   #15
roundhouse
Bronco Guru

Lost in space

My Gallery
The State of NAPA Auto Parts

The napa closest to me went thru the same thing
They used to have knowledgeable car people working there

And then all of a sudden literally overnight the staff changed to what looked like Burger King cashier rejects , mostly women
None of whom knew a damn thing about cars

And then about a year later itís out of business and closed

Thereís another one further away that does a lot of commercial truck parts that seems to be still operating with the same old staff theyíve always had

An orielys opened near by no too long ago and they have mostly young people who donít know much about cars but they try to be helpful
And the manager , a woman , knows a lot about cars , and last time I was there she was in the parking lot helping change a fuel pump in a Chevy suburban

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?" [Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices. [Fred Reed]

EFI, NV3550
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat