• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

U joint help

Jakedog

I'm looking for a spicer 1310 to 1330 non-greasable U joint. All I can find is jeep related info, and chevy to ford adapter.
If you have part numbers that would be great.

I want to stick with spicer if possible. 1310 to 1330 big cap.

Also, what are your thoughts on greasable vs non greasable u joints? I'm not against using a non greasable. After reading a lot of info on other 4x4 sites it seems the majority is for non greasable joints.

Thanks

Last edited:

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Can't help you on the adapter joint you are after however I can offer some use experience. I prefer maintenance free u joints for a few reasons. First greasing them is a PITA to remember when and you are guessing if you are between service intervals if there is enough in them or not. A service type U joint has loose seals so the grease can sling out over time, this is by design but those loose seals work backwards as well by letting dirt and moisture in. Another issue is the unsightly and mess they make on the tub when the grease slings out, if you grease it fresh, just how many rotations do you think it takes for centrifugal force removes half or more of what you just put in, my guess is in just a few miles the positive pressure that would keep things out is no longer there so there is a void that will suck in debris and moisture when they cool. Non service U joints don't have the drilled hole and cavity for adding grease so the trunnion should be slightly stronger, they have stiffer seals to retain the grease and the underside of your bronco remains clean. Now if you want you can still service them by pulling them down and pulling the caps to add grease. We always check the grease that is in them prior to install and add some if I see one has slightly less than what's under another cap, don't over fill as they will leak till they get to the right volume when heated from use. Hope this helps. One other tip, if you are in need of a high angle driveshaft, a non service double cordon joint will flex a lot more than a serviceable one achieving a higher angle and without the mess and maintenance. My driveline guy does recommend if you are doing a lot of off roading to still have them serviced once a year for like a rock crawler or mud truck due to the constant harsh environment but for a rig that sees occasional off road and mostly on road he said run them till they make noise and replace them. He has seen an average lifespan of normal use to be about 100,000 miles, tow rigs get about 80,000.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Try driveshaftpro. They have multiple locations. They carry Spicer greasable and non greasable joints. They also have or can get the adapter u-joints as well. They just did some work on my 72 suburban at the gardena location. While there I talked to em a while about some long travel shafts for the bronco.

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

Thanks for the info, guys. Still trying to get the correct part number. Went to O'Reilly's and they had a Spicer
5-134x but it didn't look right to me so I didn't purchase it. I'm going to measure the cap size on the yoke and go back and compare it.

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

I'll be calling Denny's tomorrow morning. I should have called them last week.