• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 fiberglass tub dd build

MrT

I just bought this 1974 Bronco with a Bronco designs tub to build as a daily driver to replace my 2 door JK.
There are a lot of missing pieces $ but overall a good start. It has what looks like a mid 90's 5.0 with a Centek or Howell harness it's mated to a NV3550 and a dana 20 transfer case. Kingpin 30 front, bb 9" rear. Massive blocks in the back and tall coils in the front. New tank, useable doors and hood, dash, driveshafts, wiper assembly and other small stuff.
I have been a Jeep guy my hole life. I just put together a 96 Bronco and didn't love it. It was too large a truck with a narrow stance. I sold it to buy this project.
I have a lot of work to do that will take moee time than $ then I will slow down until I figure out funding.
The goal is a dd on 35's and I would like to go full width with a 17x 8-9" wheel. I plan on cutting the rear fenders and using steel everywhere but the tub. I will replace the suspension, new brake lines, fuel lines, steering linkage and add pwr steering and brakes.

I am working in a open carport so my goal is to get the frame rails painted before it gets too cold. The first thing was to pull the tub, I hung it above the frame using ratchet straps(worked great) I pulled the engine, covered the trans and degreased the frame. It looks like it was stripped, left bare to rust over(medium surface rust) I trued several different methods to remove this. The best so far has been a pressure washer sand blaster. It doesn't do as good as a big dry blaster but ut is acceptible. I have just started this so I will post progess.
HVjK6LRSidFYxAiD7

Z1PveoQRVmcUyheE8

qnM16hwTtHyFkttUA

PVhfpMMqtcpRvxXx5

The last picture is after blasting and a quick hit with a roloc scotchbrite pad thingy. The blasting laeve a rough looking texture that smooths up easily. I then wiped on Ospho. I a headed out to do more now.

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor
Congrats on your purchase! Let me know if you have any questions about the tub and parts as you get working on your build! I am Corey @Bronco design. You can reach me at 615-836-7980. I will be glad to share what we know lol. No pictures posted. This site won't let you post pictures without either joining as a contributor ($12) or linking them through an external site like dropbox or something along those lines.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Congrats on the purchase, think I was second in line...try to start on thing at a time and go from there. Things like the dash can be built inside the house if needed.

OP
OP
M

MrT

Thanks Corey I will be calling when I start working with the tub. I will try linking the pictures when I get on a pc. The tablet is tricky.
Hyghlndr I was first then I drug my feet and someone else made an offer. The seller contacted the next day and said the deal fell through so I jumped on it. I feel pretty good about it. The missing pieces are going to add up fast $

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Where are you located? Might be some local guys that could offer thoughts or wisdom or maybe just Bounce ideas off of

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrT

How much do hardtops and 1/2 cabs in good condition usually go for?

OP
OP
M

MrT

Pictures:
Just unloaded ff the truck.
IMG-20200105-161219148.jpg

Frame seams to be in very good condition.
IMG-20200105-162408784.jpg

Pulled the tub.
IMG-20200106-114445394.jpg

Engine and transmission. From what I can tell it's a 1986 5.0. The transmission is a NV3550 or 3500?
IMG-20200106-114527542.jpg

I pulled the engine, bagged the transmission and transfer case.I tried out my new pressure washer sand blaster. It doesn't do as good a job as a large compressor dry sand blaster but it did what I needed it to do. I spent maybe 2-3 hours just working on the frame rails. The axles and suspension are coming out later.
IMG-20200107-120046898.jpg

The end result after scrubbing with a scotchbrite dipped in Ospho.
IMG-20200109-094711907.jpg

IMG-20200109-094720758.jpg

The plan is etching primer, high build primer then Satin black chassis paint. I want to get the brake lines and fuel lines on next.

Any opinions on Raptor liner or similar for the bottom of the tub?

Last edited:

Juiceman

love my glass tub Bronco. It is the same as your thought. Glass tub and steel everywhere else.

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor
Any opinions on Raptor liner or similar for the bottom of the tub?[/QUOTE]

I always recommend using bed liner of some sort on the bottom of the tub. It will protect it from stone chips, help with road noise and some heat as well. Raptor is pretty good for a diy kit.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I recently finished another build with a Bronco Designs tub, I went ahead with a fiberglass fenders and grill to eliminate rust issues. Very happy. Corey and his dad are great.

OP
OP
M

MrT

love my glass tub Bronco. It is the same as your thought. Glass tub and steel everywhere else.
Good to hear you are happy with yours. I am happy with the looks and construction of this tub.

You are cruising! Keep those pictures coming!
I will but there is a weeks woth of rain coming...ugh.

Any opinions on Raptor liner or similar for the bottom of the tub?

I always recommend using bed liner of some sort on the bottom of the tub. It will protect it from stone chips, help with road noise and some heat as well. Raptor is pretty good for a diy kit.[/QUOTE]
I kind of hated to cover it up but I figured it would be better in the long run. I ordered some tonight.

I recently finished another build with a Bronco Designs tub, I went ahead with a fiberglass fenders and grill to eliminate rust issues. Very happy. Corey and his dad are great.
I may end up going this route, we will see. Do you have a build thread?

OP
OP
M

MrT

I need some help with the tabs that go on the frame to help capture the fuel tank. I need to know where to buy them and or a picture of what they look like.

Also what pressure plate do I use with the aa nv3550 kit? It came with a disc but no plate. Is there a hydraulic throw out bearing available for this setup?

OP
OP
M

MrT

I got a couple big steps done before the cold weather gets here. This will allow me to get a lot of other things done.
I used Ospho on the frame, cleaned with mineral spirits, SEM etching primer, SEM high build primer, gloss black Rustoleum then satin black Rustoleum. I have done this similar process in the past with good results. The frame looks nice, not bondo filled, clear coated nice but it will suite my needs. I concentrated on the frame itself, everything else is coming out.

I only have a blurry picture:
IMG-20200115-165434237.jpg

I prepped the bottom of the tub for Raptor liner(sanded with 120):
IMG-20200116-134632869.jpg

I sprayed black Raptor liner. I am really happy with the way it turned out. I used (3) 24oz bottles.

IMG-20200116-164207653.jpg

IMG-20200116-164436791.jpg

IMG-20200116-164506781.jpg

I bought axles out of a 1978 F-150 from a salvage yard in TN. They will be shipped next week. I have to decide what to do about the coil buckets or modify the base?
I figured out the engine had the wrong flywheel on it so I will be ordering the clutch and acc tomorrow I hope. Then front and rear springs, track bar, headers, exhaust ...ton's of stuff.
I want a rolling chassis asap.
hmmm