• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why no 3.5 Ecoboost swaps?

akforsyth

Contributor
Just a little curious about why there are no 35. (or smaller) ecoboost swaps happening? I saw the question was asked a while ago and BCB had one, but it seems like this is really not gaining traction. I'll admit I know very little about the ecoboost and had to eat humble pie when they first came out, thought they would be nothing but crap. I can't see them being that much more difficult than shoe horning a coyote into a Bronco? Anyone have some insight?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Think they are pretty wide, a lot of plumbing challenges
They can make some power

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Because the Coyote is so good! There are a few but if you are going to that much trouble why not go all the way and recoup more resale value with it.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
no one wants to do that much work for a V6

chuck1022

Contributor
If money was no object, I would do a Ford 2.3L Ecoboost. The one from the Mustang. 310hp and 350ft/lbs of torque. Small light weight aluminium motor.......The torque peaks at 3000rom...what a driver that would be.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
Nothing wrong with a boosted V6. Mine is from a different era, but it wasn't very hard to do. I want effortless torque not screaming horsepower. chuck1022 calls it right. Short, light, and lots of torque. The biggest benefit is pushing the Broncos weight bias rearward. The 3.8 is behind the front axle. I think it drives better this way. I have about 220 hp and about 350 lb ft of torque. Doesn't seem like much, but with a screw it's immediate and full on to 3500 as long as you keep the engine load up. It's not crazy ball stretching power, but it's a Bronco. How fast do you fear to go? Disclaimer: 95 mph
Thats when you pucker so much your right leg gets shorter...

Attachments

• SAM_0724.jpg
    SAM_0724.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 366

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Forgot about the thunder bird SC s
Great motor

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The biggest issue I found while researching the ecoboost is the lower end width. The engineering on the turbos packs them in real tight to the heads, as close to the exhaust valves as possible. You can't just relocate the turbos and have the ecoboost work as it should, they did the engineering to put them there for reasons and matched parts for them in that location. And that location is right where the frame rails are at. Custom frame is one option. Custom turbo manifolds and lost performance/drivability is another option.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Complex engine control system. I mean it's fine in the car it came from, but mod it to fit and you better be sure you are not changing parameters the computer is looking for. Most at issue, tranny shifting.

joeracer69

The Roaster shop did there Bronco for sema this year with a built Ecoboost.
BC broncos has done one also.
The Roaster shops bronco is seriously fast.

My two cents build a nice Winsor stroker with port injected EFI and it will have a long lasting value and more hp.

Plus you can make it look close to original (stock air cleaner ect…)

All these new swaps will look dated in less that 10 years. They are really nice but the 5.0 mustang/explore swaps that were the great thing to do yesterday are showing there age. Even though they were a nice option at the time.

I am big fan of having a update transmission with overdrive though.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I agree with the dated look, I had a 4.6 which was a huge amount of work when done, exciting at the time, and looks like a poor choice now.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Nothing wrong with a boosted V6. Mine is from a different era, but it wasn't very hard to do. I want effortless torque not screaming horsepower. chuck1022 calls it right. Short, light, and lots of torque. The biggest benefit is pushing the Broncos weight bias rearward. The 3.8 is behind the front axle. I think it drives better this way. I have about 220 hp and about 350 lb ft of torque. Doesn't seem like much, but with a screw it's immediate and full on to 3500 as long as you keep the engine load up. It's not crazy ball stretching power, but it's a Bronco. How fast do you fear to go? Disclaimer: 95 mph
Thats when you pucker so much your right leg gets shorter...

Very Cool