• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Never seen this DSO before on a 66

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Hopefully someone can tell me something about this DSO.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_115435126.jpg
    IMG_20191109_115435126.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 161

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
22 is Charlotte, I believe. And the other four are some sort of "special order".

Found this on the Ford Truck forum -

If the DSO code is two numbers, they refer to the District Sales (Zone) Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the vehicle from.

Prolly 90% + of all trucks assembled, have a two digit DSO.

6 numbered DSO: The first two numbers refer to the District Sales Office.

The next 4 numbers are the: Domestic Special Order number. In other words, the original purchaser ordered something that was not an RPO = Regular Production Order.

This can be special paint, special body, etc etc etc...the list is endless.

Why a 6 numbered DSO code? If the vehicle comes in for service, and the parts are not listed in the parts catalog for whatever is special, the dealer contacts FoMoCo, gives them the 6 digit DSO.

Ford looks up the order number, tells the dealer what the parts are, and where to get them if not Ford parts...or gives the dealer the specifics of the paint.

The DSO system was initiated in 1948 for trucks (1949 for passenger cars) and is still in use today.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, that's what I figured. If it were me, even though it's a '66, I'd send an email to Kevin Marti just to see if he can shed any light on the "4640".

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Unless you've got an original owner with a good memory or a window sticker, the special order info will be a mystery forever on a 66.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My hope in contacting Marti would be that possibly there was at least one '67 with the same 4640 as part of its DSO. Then you would have , at least, an educated guess as to what it meant. A long shot, I know.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Pretty sure the special order number is just that and doesn't indicate what the special equipment was, such as a code does.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My hope in contacting Marti would be that possibly there was at least one '67 with the same 4640 as part of its DSO. Then you would have , at least, an educated guess as to what it meant. A long shot, I know.

From what I learned, the four digits are tied to a specific production order with list of options added to the build. Kind of like a receipt. Unless you have the exact piece of paperwork, matching numbers from one bronco to another will not happen as it is specific to that vehicle. Same options added from one bronco to another could happen, but paperwork numbers will be different. Tim

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The 4 digit number after a DSO is the dealer’s order number. It’s equivalent to an invoice number and not something that can be decoded. You would need a copy of the order, the original dealer invoice, or the build sheet.

My understanding is that dealers had pre-numbered order forms. They filled out those forms and sent them to Ford when a customer placed a special order.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 4 digit number after a DSO is the dealer’s order number. It’s equivalent to an invoice number and not something that can be decoded. You would need a copy of the order, the original dealer invoice, or the build sheet.

My understanding is that dealers had pre-numbered order forms. They filled out those forms those and sent them to Ford when a customer placed a special order.

Ditto Mark. That's what I was trying to convey.

OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Hopefully I can shed more light on it tomorrow, I have an appointment to go check the roadster out. I'm hoping the owner has the paperwork.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hope so, stuff like special DSO codes intrigue me!

My thinking before was maybe the "46" was a special paint code for x-paint, and a "40" was a special code for a y-paint and maybe there happened to be a '67 (or later) out there with same special DSO so you could shed light on your '66. But I see what you guys are saying "4640" is just a number on a special order form, it in and of itself means nothing.