Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 11/09/19, 11:29 PM   #1
rtslatta
Contributor

San Diego
Garage
Pitted Spindles - Need Replacing

Hi

I am taking apart my front-end. My driver's side spindle is pitted. Is this normal or does it need replacing? If it is not normal, any ideas on what would have caused the pitting? When I replaced some seals on my rear axle, a previous owner had evidently taken a torch to some old bearings and destroyed the axles. Could that have been done here too?

As way of background, I am doing a drum to power disk swap and a 2.5 inch suspension lift. I am also replacing the ball joints while I am at it. I will have the differential itself worked on by a local shop. I have a refresh kit, but the skill and the tools required are beyond me. I learned that the hard way with the rear diff. which now has some broken teeth. That too will go to a local shop.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.jpg (95.1 KB, 141 views)
rtslatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/19, 01:45 AM   #2
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Tough call. I've seen worse and used them, but any pitting is a potentially weak spot.
But if they were mine I'd use them, if just for the pitting alone.

However they're also a bit on the burnished side, so I would take some Scotch-Brite or 400grit sandpaper or finer and dress them down just a gnat's hair to see if the surfaces just clean right up.
The area where the bearings reside and the seal surface at the back are important areas too, where as the pitting is not in a critical area.
Don't take lots of material off of course. You're just looking to clean things up a bit to give the new seals a clean and smooth surface to seal, and the bearings a clean surface to ride on.

And speaking of the bearings riding, once the spindles are clean, slide the bearings on to make sure that the newly cleaned surfaces will still hold the bearings. There is some leeway, but if the bearings are too loose then that's a sign of wear and the bearing races may continue to spin on the spindle.

Oh, and the pitting is just from long term moisture exposure I'd say. At some point, there may even have been rust, but during subsequent bearing re-packs, or component replacement, the rust was cleaned off and the pitting remained.
That's what I'd call it anyway. This is the reason for coating every surface inside the hubs and for keeping the seals in good condition. And actually for packing grease into the spindle (inside, where the axle shaft is) and making sure that the hub locking knob is sealed well.

This is something important enough that I'd suggest waiting for 2 or 3 "second opinions" before committing.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/19, 08:50 AM   #3
AZ73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Barn Find

Scottsdale, Aridzona
I recall when I did this swap I had to replace the drum spindles with ones that would work with disc brakes.

Barn Find 73 going through a nut and bolt Restoration/Upgrade. Follow along at:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217635

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
AZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/19, 01:50 PM   #4
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
That's a great point AZ. So what discs are you planning to run rtslatta?
Is that the disc spindle, or the old drum spindle?

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/19, 06:18 PM   #5
rtslatta
Contributor

San Diego
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDonk View Post
That's a great point AZ. So what discs are you planning to run rtslatta?
Is that the disc spindle, or the old drum spindle?

Paul
Hi Paul and AZ,

I feel stupid. Yes. I have replacement spindles. Please forget this post.

I have the entire WH hydro boost disc conversion kit. Should have really looked through it.

Thank you for your help.

Rob
rtslatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/19, 06:52 PM   #6
AZ73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Barn Find

Scottsdale, Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtslatta View Post
Hi Paul and AZ,

I feel stupid. Yes. I have replacement spindles. Please forget this post.

I have the entire WH hydro boost disc conversion kit. Should have really looked through it.

Thank you for your help.

Rob
Rob, there are no stupid questions! Besides, I was wondering what caused your pitting so I might prevent my new ones from pitting.

Good luck with the swap!

Barn Find 73 going through a nut and bolt Restoration/Upgrade. Follow along at:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217635

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
AZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/19, 12:08 PM   #7
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
If you must reuse them then rotate the pitted area of the on top so the load on the spindle pits are in compression.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech