• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

project tetanus build thread.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
here is a brief update to what little I have gotten done recently. I had to have shoulder surgery in september. my ac joint had to be reconstructed so I was supposed to not use it too much. unfortunately I am not a very good patient, and since I had a whole week off I couldn't just sit around doing nothing so I bought a new quick ratio steering gearbox from toms bronco parts. that was a bit of a challenge to get in place and bolted up with a bum shoulder, but I got it. then I needed to figure out the hoses. so I tried to bolt the ac compressor in place, but I couldn't get the bolts in because of the inner fenderwell. so I drilled some holes in the fender well and plugged them with rubber body plugs

KDTCFv0.jpg

then I want to use a stock style steel hood, and figuring out how to mount the remote reservoir for the pump proved to be a pretty difficult prospect. there is a brace in the hood that runs right where the reservoir needs to go. some people who have used this system have been able to relocate it just a little bit and make it fit. but with a 351 and using the ac compressor I was unable to make it work no matter what I tried. I considered a fiberglass hood, or a 2 inch body lift, but I want to use stock bumpers and I don't lie the way they look with the 2 inch body lift, and I don't really like any of the fiberglass hoods that are available all that well. So I decided to relocate it back a bit. I bought a Moroso reservoir from summit and fabbed up a bracket to make it work, and then plumbed up some Russell PTFE lined powerflex hoses. I am not really happy having to relocate it so far back, but it looks like it is going to clear everything and I don't think it looks too bad.

8m99ZoK.jpg

40VSIEh.jpg

I didn't have enough of the Russell steel fittings to finish the other day, so I used an aluminum one for mock up and I had to order another 90 degree fitting.

g96V41f.jpg

I ordered a return line with a tight 90 degree molded bend in it and as soon as that gets In I can finish up the lines. then I need to figure out what I am going to do about the ac lines.

then came another change in plans. I had planned to keep the old tires and wheels on the bronco at least until after it was painted. however last night I was sitting in the garage with my earbuds in playing a computer game when I heard this loud crash. It about scared the crap out of Josh lol I thought it was thunder at first. anyway i got up to go in the house a little while later and saw this. I had a couple choices at that point. those wheels are all rusted and not the style I want to go with so I had always planned to get new wheels and tires. these are 15 inch wheels and finding 15 inch wheels in a style I liked proved to be impossible so I decided to go with a 17 inch wheel. so I had to either try to buy a 15 inch tire roughly the right size just to get me through the paint process, or buy my new wheels and tires a bit earlier than planned. I have a spare tire that looks like crap and will probably not support the weight of the truck for long and I could not find a used tire anywhere in town so I bit the bullet and ordered new wheels and tires today. they won't be here for a while, but then I can finally see what the final look of the vehicle is going to be. I ordered a set of 17 x 9 method race wheels with some 33 12.50 17 tires. that should be a good look when they are installed. of course I still don't know how much it is going to cost to paint the vehicle. ( I am patiently waiting to hear from the body shop), ok as patiently as I get anyway. but this may delay when I can get it painted. so we will have to see.

bryAaUD.jpg

qv0b5QX.jpg

K41QokK.jpg

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad that you're back cookin' on your tasty morsel, and easy does it on the shoulder!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
ouch w/the tires... looks like my kind of luck..

here is a brief update to what little I have gotten done recently. I had to have shoulder surgery in september. my ac joint had to be reconstructed so I was supposed to not use it too much. unfortunately I am not a very good patient, and since I had a whole week off I couldn't just sit around doing nothing so I bought a new quick ratio steering gearbox from toms bronco parts. that was a bit of a challenge to get in place and bolted up with a bum shoulder, but I got it. then I needed to figure out the hoses. so I tried to bolt the ac compressor in place, but I couldn't get the bolts in because of the inner fenderwell. so I drilled some holes in the fender well and plugged them with rubber body plugs

KDTCFv0.jpg

then I want to use a stock style steel hood, and figuring out how to mount the remote reservoir for the pump proved to be a pretty difficult prospect. there is a brace in the hood that runs right where the reservoir needs to go. some people who have used this system have been able to relocate it just a little bit and make it fit. but with a 351 and using the ac compressor I was unable to make it work no matter what I tried. I considered a fiberglass hood, or a 2 inch body lift, but I want to use stock bumpers and I don't lie the way they look with the 2 inch body lift, and I don't really like any of the fiberglass hoods that are available all that well. So I decided to relocate it back a bit. I bought a Moroso reservoir from summit and fabbed up a bracket to make it work, and then plumbed up some Russell PTFE lined powerflex hoses. I am not really happy having to relocate it so far back, but it looks like it is going to clear everything and I don't think it looks too bad.

8m99ZoK.jpg

40VSIEh.jpg

I didn't have enough of the Russell steel fittings to finish the other day, so I used an aluminum one for mock up and I had to order another 90 degree fitting.

g96V41f.jpg

I ordered a return line with a tight 90 degree molded bend in it and as soon as that gets In I can finish up the lines. then I need to figure out what I am going to do about the ac lines.

then came another change in plans. I had planned to keep the old tires and wheels on the bronco at least until after it was painted. however last night I was sitting in the garage with my earbuds in playing a computer game when I heard this loud crash. It about scared the crap out of Josh lol I thought it was thunder at first. anyway i got up to go in the house a little while later and saw this. I had a couple choices at that point. those wheels are all rusted and not the style I want to go with so I had always planned to get new wheels and tires. these are 15 inch wheels and finding 15 inch wheels in a style I liked proved to be impossible so I decided to go with a 17 inch wheel. so I had to either try to buy a 15 inch tire roughly the right size just to get me through the paint process, or buy my new wheels and tires a bit earlier than planned. I have a spare tire that looks like crap and will probably not support the weight of the truck for long and I could not find a used tire anywhere in town so I bit the bullet and ordered new wheels and tires today. they won't be here for a while, but then I can finally see what the final look of the vehicle is going to be. I ordered a set of 17 x 9 method race wheels with some 33 12.50 17 tires. that should be a good look when they are installed. of course I still don't know how much it is going to cost to paint the vehicle. ( I am patiently waiting to hear from the body shop), ok as patiently as I get anyway. but this may delay when I can get it painted. so we will have to see.

bryAaUD.jpg

qv0b5QX.jpg

K41QokK.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Thanks guys. Im recovering pretty quickly. I was able to do 20 push-ups tonight so the shoulder is coming along. The new wheels came in today the tires will be here in a couple days. I stupidly forgot about the locking hubs so I ordered some stainless steel open center caps which should be here Thursday. So by this weekend I will have the rig sitting on some new shoes ��

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
the new tires and wheels are in. general grabber x3 33 12.50 17 on Method race wheels. I like the stance. this is just a 1.5 inch premium wild horses lift with a 1 inch body lift, but I think it looks just right.

6JGqU5d.jpg

GIZI3v7.jpg

JloBEIX.jpg

8dxvGBr.jpg

z04dl1N.jpg

Qed25OW.jpg

I think Ozzie approves

42tjzsd.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Great looking build, I like those wheels good choice. James Duff now offers filler panels for below the grill and tailgate, for up to 3” body lifts. Check out this video from Duffs Bronco Garage.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296975&page=4

Here’s the link to the panels at Duffs.
https://www.dufftuff.com/Early_Bronco_Rolled_Filler_Panels_p/4175-6.htm

thanks, Yeah I saw that video also, and I may use them. I'd prefer to not have to use a 2 inch body lift, but if I do that will make it look a lot better.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
a couple weeks ago I found this hoist on amazon. I bought it planning to use it when it came time to install the roll bar. I took a 1.5 inch piece of square tubing and a piece of 2 inch angle iron and welded them together to increase the strength. then bolted it to the ceiling beams with grade 8 hardware. then I didn't want to risk damaging the truck or the roof so I used some 1 inch lag bolts and bolted some d rings to a 4x4. I figured if I started trying to lift too much it would pull the lag bolts out before it did too much damage. (I hope). anyway, I needed to lift the back of the body to shim the rear body mounts in order to adjust the door gap properly. trying to fit a floor jack in there with a properly positioned piece of 4x4 was one way to do it, but working around the gas tank was going to be a problem. so, I thought this way was better. it worked very well it lifted both sides evenly and with ease. once I had it adjusted to my liking I welded in some supports because the next step will be to pull the body back off the frame in preparation for paint.

n6itKuX.jpg

40wFCZN.jpg

rather than weld them directly to the tub i bolted some supports in and welded to them to make it easier to remove. I will also keep the doors on for added strength when I lift the body.

7w7WGfA.jpg

40wFCZN.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
My beautiful wife, being the amazing and generous woman that she is, allowed me the whole day today to work on the Bronco. I have not done much with it lately because I need to get it painted as about the next step. as part of that there are a few things that needed to be done. I had spoken with Dan Schrier about getting it painted and he will hopefully be getting me an estimate for how much it is going to cost soon. in the mean time I have adjusted some of the plans since we spoke. I decided not to have a stripe painted on it, I am just going to have it painted Brittany Blue. I also have been having trouble getting my power steering reservoir to fit under the stock hood, and I decided I just didn't like the way the hood looked under neath with the scoop installed. so I decided to buy myself an early christmas present on Black Friday. So I have a new fiberglass hood coming which is already finished underneath. that will hopefully save some work for the body shop. I also decided to go ahead and do the fuel filler modification I had been planning. I have been practicing my welding, and although I am still not that great at it I am getting better. I still suck at body work so it will need to have a professional finish it properly, but it turned out ok I think.

credit goes to Hercfe9 for the link to getting the fuel door and advice on how to make it work.

Attachments

• IMG_5291.jpg
    IMG_5291.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5294.jpg
    IMG_5294.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5293.jpg
    IMG_5293.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5292.jpg
    IMG_5292.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5290.jpg
    IMG_5290.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 94

jmhend

Bronco Guru
a couple weeks ago I found this hoist on amazon. I bought it planning to use it when it came time to install the roll bar. I took a 1.5 inch piece of square tubing and a piece of 2 inch angle iron and welded them together to increase the strength. then bolted it to the ceiling beams with grade 8 hardware. then I didn't want to risk damaging the truck or the roof so I used some 1 inch lag bolts and bolted some d rings to a 4x4. I figured if I started trying to lift too much it would pull the lag bolts out before it did too much damage. (I hope). anyway, I needed to lift the back of the body to shim the rear body mounts in order to adjust the door gap properly. trying to fit a floor jack in there with a properly positioned piece of 4x4 was one way to do it, but working around the gas tank was going to be a problem. so, I thought this way was better. it worked very well it lifted both sides evenly and with ease. once I had it adjusted to my liking I welded in some supports because the next step will be to pull the body back off the frame in preparation for paint.

n6itKuX.jpg

40wFCZN.jpg

rather than weld them directly to the tub i bolted some supports in and welded to them to make it easier to remove. I will also keep the doors on for added strength when I lift the body.

7w7WGfA.jpg

40wFCZN.jpg

I really like how you braced your doors.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I really like how you braced your doors.

thanks. hopefully it will work well, because I am about ready to pull the body back off the frame to send it over to the paint shop. I am going to have the under body raptor lined. I like the way that looks, and I like the durability it gives in driving up my gravel road to my house.

I did some more sanding on the body around the new gas tank door.

zFUHlDc.jpg

and I took the filler neck to a local welding shop to have the vent tube tig welded to the filler neck. that will be done later this week, and my filler neck hose should be here then too so i can test fit that, I am probably going to have to trim the inner fender a bit so I want to get that all sorted before I pull the body off, but I discussed it with the body shop and I am going to be taking it over there the first of March. I can't wait lol. once it is painted the long process of getting the details right begins.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
My beautiful wife, being the amazing and generous woman that she is, allowed me the whole day today to work on the Bronco. rk.

Allowed. Well me thinks sometimes we got man stuff to do without being allowed sometimes. Haha. But that's just me

We can do husband/wife stuff another day sometimes. ;D

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Allowed. Well me thinks sometimes we got man stuff to do without being allowed sometimes. Haha. But that's just me

We can do husband/wife stuff another day sometimes. ;D

yes, but you know what happens when you try to get something done in the garage and the wife isn't actively helping? at least in my home, my wife won't come out and say "hey I want you to do this instead", what happens is I get a text or a phone call every 15 or 20 minutes, or a could you run to the store to get this, or any of number of other little annoyances that are completely reasonable, you can't get mad about it. but it makes it hard to get anything done. on this Saturday however I spent the entire day in the garage. not one call, text or any could you take the garbage out, or anything. that's what I mean by allowed. she knew I wanted to work in the garage and she made sure nothing interrupted me. That was a rare and wonderful treat. And to fail to notice that she did would be churlish of me.

on a completely different note, I got the estimate from the body shop, and I am supposed to drop the body off the first of March. I have a few things I need to get done in the mean time, and with the holidays and my conference in February its probably going to take me that long to be ready. He estimated a month to get it painted so sometime In April I should have it back and start doing some more fun stuff I doubt I will have phase one done in time for our local annual car show in August, I still have too many big ticket items to buy. but I would like to have it moving under its own power by then. We shall see.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
oh I know man, just giving you a hard time, I am always forgiveness vs permission

do you and they always say right Happy wife, happy life :D

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
well, I finally gave up on the stock hood. I did get it to clear, but the more I looked at it, the more I did not like the underside. the trouble is I just couldn't find a fiberglass replacement that I liked better. until I did lol. I ordered the midrise hood from bronco design. I love the way this hood looks. it is awesome. I have it bolted on now, but I broke a ball stud mocking up the hood shocks. I will finish up that as soon as the new ones get here, and take some underhood shots. in the mean time this is how it looks on the outside. I have not decided if I want to cut the openings out of the scoop or not.

Attachments

• IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5368.jpg
    IMG_5368.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I can't do much right now until march when I can get the body over to paint, but I finished mocking up the hood and the hood pins. I decided to go with these instead of using the stock latch hardware. I think it looks a little cleaner this way. I don't know yet if I am going to modify the grill where the latch hardware mounted. anyway one baby step forward.

Attachments

• IMG_5404.jpg
    IMG_5404.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I drilled and mounted the Bronco script emblems and taped the mirrors in place. I liked these mirrors when I saw them on a bronco in a picture, but looking at them on my Bronco I decided I did not really like them. so I am ordering some stock style mirrors. I will test fit them and see if I like them better.

YZXH7oT.jpg

MoaVnzI.jpg

POrGRti.jpg

the truck is looking so dang cool now, I hate the fact I have to tear it all apart to send it for paint. :cry: but when I get it back the fun will really begin

FWIW I absolutely love this hood from Bronco design. other than the fact I can't make the scoop functional it is exactly what I was looking for.