• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooter's Explorer 5.0/4R70W Swap

1buckeyefan1

I have to say this is a spectacular thread, especially the pictures at every stage. This serves as an invaluable guide for those to come. I'm undertaking the same swap and would not have attempted it without threads like this. I hope I can pay it forward too when the time comes!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have to say this is a spectacular thread, especially the pictures at every stage. This serves as an invaluable guide for those to come. I'm undertaking the same swap and would not have attempted it without threads like this. I hope I can pay it forward too when the time comes!

Agreed, great build thread.

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Thanks! Happy to contribute anything to this site, which has provided so much info over the years.

lagbolt

Cooter what’s your plans for the air filter/ intake hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Lately I've been working on the passenger side firewall area. Things are getting crowded.
- Ran new rubber hoses to the heater core and installed the heater valve. The original heater valve cable was too short, so I used a generic choke cable from the parts store. Not real happy with this solution, because it's ugly, and doesn't seem to be strong enough to fully close the valve. I may need to tweak this a bit, unless someone has a better option.

49172977513_5bafe56d19_z.jpg

- I purchased a throttle cable bracket from JSmall. It's a great solution that fits really well. I may have to take some material off the bottom, because it's making contact with the heater coolant tubes. I just set the upper intake on top of the lower without the gasket, so maybe it will clear once everything is assembled properly.

*EDIT* The bracket cleared everything just fine once I had the manifold secured properly.

49173459866_1f18d9a3f9_z.jpg

- There's a tube that's now on top of the throttle body. I believe this connects to the oil fill tube on the passenger side valve cover to act as an intake for the PCV circuit(?). Curious if there's a way to rotate it 180 degrees to make it easier to route the tube and provide some extra clearance for the transmission dipstick.
49173556251_2ddf4fa79a_z.jpg

Here are a couple more pics of how things are shaping-up in this area:

49172977503_61f3a7c817_z.jpg

49172977498_9404369939_z.jpg

Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Put a large Phillips screwdriver in the TB fresh air tube and it should rotate for you. Press fit.
I have only had one that distorted when I got little "animal" with it...

JSmall

Bronco Guru
- I purchased a throttle cable bracket from JSmall. It's a great solution that fits really well. I may have to take some material off the bottom, because it's making contact with the heater coolant tubes. I just set the upper intake on top of the lower without the gasket, so maybe it will clear once everything is assembled properly.

[/img]

Please let me know. I can make a change if I ever have more produced if that is going to be a clearance issue. For some reason, it is not with my set up.

Build is looking good :cool:

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Please let me know. I can make a change if I ever have more produced if that is going to be a clearance issue. For some reason, it is not with my set up.

Build is looking good :cool:

Thanks Jaromy, I'll keep you posted!

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Spent some time this morning modifying the gas pedal to accept the Explorer throttle cable, based on a photo I saw somewhere here on CB.

49178364316_b84dfde6fa_z.jpg

49177873833_a5ea387e39_z.jpg

49178364391_ea9ffe9f0b_z.jpg

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Put a large Phillips screwdriver in the TB fresh air tube and it should rotate for you. Press fit.
I have only had one that distorted when I got little "animal" with it...

Ah, the joys of modifying a 23-year-old engine to install in your 46-year-old vehicle:
49178689786_7fbcd0f036_z.jpg

Don't know if my next step is to try to drill-out what's left of the old tube, or try to pick up another throttle body somewhere.

jbawall

Contributor
Loc.
Edgewood, Washington
Oh man! That stinks. Mine just moved pretty easy, but it is a new one so maybe that is the difference. New ones are a little hard to find, not terrible, they are out there. Used ones can be pretty rough though, which is why I bought a new one. Do you think you can get the remnants out? Maybe you can just bend up a tube to replace it with.

Hazegray

Maybe a lil' finesse was in order! ;D

Try heat gun, melt some wax around it and bolt extractor to get that out...

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Maybe a lil' finesse was in order! ;D

Try heat gun, melt some wax around it and bolt extractor to get that out...

Funny enough, I tried a heat gun. I was expecting it to start to bend if I went too “animal”, but it just cracked open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Drill it out and tap the hole for 1/8" pipe thread, use 90* elbow male pipe > nipple...

Sorry it happened, probably too many heat/cold cycles over the life of the TB.

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Small victory! I think this is the first time I've ever used an extractor successfully.

49204458301_a6dccdef76_z.jpg

Used a piece of 3/8" brake line to replace the damaged elbow. Fits nice & snug.

49203972278_5053129f00_z.jpg