• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlights not working

tsnoble91

Hi Guys,

New here. The standard headlights on my 74 Bronco stopped working. When I pull the switch to engage the lights, the orange side markers and blinker lights light up however the headlights stay off. I'm not electrically inclined AT ALL, so any help is much appreciate.

Happy Sunday,

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
It could be your dimmer switch. I can't remember if all lights quit working or just the headlights.

OP
OP
T

tsnoble91

Wow, I didn't even know there was a dimmer switch. I clicked it and the headlights work.....

=/ Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exactly. Or the low beams and your highs are out.
It's the dimmer switch most of the time, but hey, even the headlights themselves burn out now and then. Not impossible for both left and right to have burned out filaments in them.

If flipping the switch a few times ends up with both highs and lows working, the switch is wonky and needs to be replaced soon.

When on high-beam mode, you "should" also have a red indicator lamp in the instrument cluster turn on. Modern cars are standardized with blue lights, but old vehicles sometimes had red, like ours.
If neither position of the floor switch results in an illuminated indicator, you will need to test the circuit further. And then check to see that the bulb in the dash is not burned out.

Paul