Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 07/31/20, 06:35 PM   #1
jdeignan
Contributor

Garage
Ignition Switch going?

Think my ignition switch is going. Most times I attempt to start, I get all lights/fuel pump, and when I turn key I hear a single click.
Replaced the solenoid. No change.

I can get it to start if I SLOWLY turn the key in to the start position.. If I find the sweet spot, it cranks normally.

Is this a bad ignition switch? Iím pretty sure it was replaced when I installed the Centech harness a few years back.

Also of note: recently installed a NSS microswitch (and wiring) on my shifter. This starting issue appeared around the same time. Microswitch is 100% mounted correctly, and depressed when I am in Park though.

74 Bronco Encinitas CA
Team Huey
jdeignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/20, 11:51 PM   #2
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Could be. But a few other things to check first.
But before I forget, DON'T THROW AWAY THE OLD STARTER SOLENOID/RELAY! Since it was working before, it might still be and you don't know anything about the new one yet.

Next time you get a click, don't replace it, test it (bypass it) just like you're going to do now.
First things first, verify that the starter, starter cable, relay and battery are good by jumpering the battery positive side of the starter relay, down to the small "S" post with the Red w/blue wire on it.
Make sure the trans is in Park or Neutral and the key is OFF (so you don't have to change your underpants when the Bronco tries to run over you!). Remove the Red w/blue wire from it's terminal.
With a small wire or metal tool (plier handles are often used, as are screwdrivers) jump from the large battery terminal to the S terminal.
If your starter cranks the engine over, then you know that the problem is upstream between the relay and the key.
If it does not start, then you have more detecting to do.

If it does not crank, bypass the relay completely with a jumper cable, or perhaps a heavy metal set of plier handles. Something to jump between the two large posts of the starter relay. Basically connecting the battery direct to the starter.
If it starts now, then your new starter relay is bad.
If it does not crank, then at least you know that it's before the relay.

The reason to do all that first is because it's so easy. Your new switch is actually the prime suspect, but might as well check the starter and all the other stuff first anyway.
Is your new neutral safety switch easy to get to? Hope so because that's next.

And what type is this safety switch you speak of anyway? Total custom job on an aftermarket shifter? Or something they offer as a kit for that shifter? What transmission?

That's a start (no pun intended).
Let us know more about your setup.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/20, 12:27 AM   #3
jdeignan
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDonk View Post
Let us know more about your setup.

Paul
C4 trans. Microswitch: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80629
Centech harness. I spliced the ignition wire near the ignition switch, and ran it to a microswitch on the B&M shifter (I think it is a Starshifter, but PO installed). replaced microswitch and wiring too) then ran that wire to the starter solenoid. I think thats right, right? The microswitch should be depressed in Park and Neutral to complete the IGN circuit and allow a start.

Will try all of the above in the AM and get back to you. I really donít think it is a bum solenoid, unless I have it wired up wrong. It will start 100% of the time of i slowly turn the key, but if i twist it clockwise quickly, it will click once (and not crank) 100% of the time. I am just not familiar with how the ign switch works to be able to trouble shoot it myself.

74 Bronco Encinitas CA
Team Huey
Old 08/01/20, 12:52 AM   #4
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
I'm with you on it sounding more like the ignition switch than anything else. It's just that we chase our tails so often, working around the problem, then sometimes it's just good practice to get all the usual suspects out of the way first.
By that I mean the easy ones. And for me, standing on my head playing with the ignition switch is not one of the easy ones anymore!

Of course, it's easy enough to remove the switch from the dash and play with it while it's hanging down on the wires. And since you might be replacing it anyway, it's not out of line to pull it out ahead of time.

By "ignition" wire you do mean the Violet/Purple wire, correct?
Centech used to include two separate Purple wires in their kits, but I think they've just gone to the single one now to avoid any confusion.
One side of the Purple wire to the NSS, check. The other side out of the NSS and up to the "S" post on the starter relay. Check.

Good luck.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 08/01/20, 10:37 AM   #5
jdeignan
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
First things first, verify that the starter, starter cable, relay and battery are good by jumpering the battery positive side of the starter relay, down to the small "S" post with the Red w/blue wire on it.

Remove the Red w/blue wire from it's terminal.

Paul
Jumped the Batt Pos to the S terminal, cranked all day.

Don't have a red/blue wire- what does that wire do? Maybe I can find it/it is the wrong color?

Thanks for the help Paul

74 Bronco Encinitas CA
Team Huey
Old 08/01/20, 01:03 PM   #6
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Red w/blue stripe is the color of the wire that's supposed to be on that S terminal. Comes from the ignition switch and tells the starter to crank.
If you have an aftermarket harness, they are often Purple (Violet in the original texts) for the GM color codes.
Is yours Purple? Or some other color?

Paul

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 08/01/20, 01:31 PM   #7
jdeignan
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Red w/blue stripe is the color of the wire that's supposed to be on that S terminal. Comes from the ignition switch and tells the starter to crank.
If you have an aftermarket harness, they are often Purple (Violet in the original texts) for the GM color codes.
Is yours Purple? Or some other color?

Paul
Yep. Centech is purple/violet for the start wire

74 Bronco Encinitas CA
Team Huey

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Tags
ignition