Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 07/31/20, 10:23 PM   #1
triracer67
Contributor

Ironman

Belleville, IL
Garage
Body bolt help

Iím replacing body mount bushings and of course one is stuck. I broke the head off the passenger side behind the seat(I have about 1Ē). Iíve been trying to pound down and flex the retainer. No such luck! There is almost no way to sawzall since exhaust is close. I donít have torch.

Help? I covered it in wd-40 and called it a night...

1967 U15, Honey Bunnes, 351w, C4, 4.56 traklok, 2 1/2SL, GM p/s conversion, disc brakes. Former Four Wheeler tech truck, Baja prerunner(1973), Stroppe support vehicle.
triracer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/20, 01:12 AM   #2
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Good call. Hit it again with fresh eyes and a night soaking in lube!

Well, the more recent go-to method for separating the two stuck halves is not going to be as easy with the bolt still in there, but if the drill bit is sharp enough, maybe the bolt won't impede things too much.
And that's to literally drill straight upward through the bottom. Ahh, but being the one behind the seat, that means it's straight on top of the frame, giving you zero room for any big tools. I see why you ruled out the Sawzall quickly.

But maybe the drill isn't such a bad idea here. Just go at it from the top instead.
Yes, it would probably take a week (or an hour, whichever comes first) or seem like it, to drill down through the bolt.
You're not trying to save threads or anything, so getting it perfectly centered is strictly to make it easier to drill. Nothing of the old stuff to save!

Anyway, that's my late-night take on it. Hopefully fresher minds will think of something.
In the meantime, keep banging away. Just harder and with a bigger hammer!

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/20, 03:17 AM   #3
gmduncan
Contributor

Arnold

My Gallery
Garage
I had a few stuck bushings and bolts. Sprayed them with penetrating oil, kept hitting them with a hammer and punch. Eventually they broke free.
gmduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/20, 03:21 AM   #4
ransil
Contributor
Bronco Guru

western Pa.
Garage
I always use a sawzall, get new blades
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/20, 08:09 AM   #5
triracer67
Contributor

Ironman

Belleville, IL
Garage
Update

Woke up early hoping for advice, and this great Bronco community delivered. I drilled and pounded the remaining bolt/bushing into submission and won. With all new bushings in place, I have one last question. My Duffys urethane bushing kit has 3/8 OD bolts, and 5/8 sleeves in the mount. They are very sloppy, is this by design? Iím running to farm supply for larger OD bolts, am I making a mistake?

1967 U15, Honey Bunnes, 351w, C4, 4.56 traklok, 2 1/2SL, GM p/s conversion, disc brakes. Former Four Wheeler tech truck, Baja prerunner(1973), Stroppe support vehicle.
Old 08/01/20, 09:38 AM   #6
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
I don't think it's "right" but it's how many of them are. And have been for as long as I remember. The ones I put in my '71 were even more sloppy, because I used fulls-size Bronco bushings to get a 3/4" body lift (before we had our 1" version) and those were sloppy too.

You're right to question it though, because the factory bushings were nothing like that. So I don't know why some still are.
Going to have to check now that you bring the subject up, to see if ours still work that way or not. We went to some trouble to have custom sleeves made years ago. Which I thought was to remedy this issue.
In theory the sleeves are thicker to allow the smaller bolts to sit tight in them.

I'll check and get back to the discussion, but what you're experiencing is not a new thing.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 08/01/20, 02:31 PM   #7
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
If you busted the had off and all the other bolts are out jack the body up and then cut the rest of the bolt off.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/20, 09:12 PM   #8
73azbronco
Contributor
Too much time on my hands

Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
I always use a sawzall, get new blades
sawsall, longest blade and cut flush with body. Bam. Yes, you will make smoke.

73 Explorer , 347stroker, NV4500 D20, Quadrajet spreadbore with manual altitude compensation, 4.1 ARB, Moser CTM Currie, 78 FSB disk brakes. 3.5 WH suspension lift, 2" Body lift for NV clearance.

Build here:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...69#post1759569
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #9
triracer67
Contributor

Ironman

Belleville, IL
Garage
I was only replacing bushings, no intentions of lifting the body off the frame. Iím not sure how I would even get a sawzal on the bolt behind passenger seat, the exhaust and rear drive shaft make it extremely difficult. Honestly, impact and long cold chisel/hammer made this doable in only a few hours. Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #10
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
I think Rustytruck's point was that since the head had already broken off the bolt, and all the others were removed, you could in fact lift the body up to gain access to the busted (but not cooperative) bolt and cut it off mid-way through the bushings and remove them that way.
Since you were able to finally pound it out, there was no need. But raising the body would have possibly given you full access to do the other things. Like cut if off.

Paul

www.wildhorses4x4.com

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech