• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new body, new frame, reassigned VIN

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is a multi part question regarding value and what buyers think about buying vehicles with reassigned VIN tags. I know a lot of people re-body or use new frames that don't have numbers. I am concerned about putting too much into this one (66) I have as it is a different body than the frame and will have DMV reassigned VIN. What does Icon or custom high end builders do when they use everything new and start from scratch for a VIN? I would assume that would be similar to getting a VIN assigned?

Curious as to what other s feel about that as a purchaser and what you have seen.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Which part will have a reassigned vin, the frame or body? Title vin and frame vin needs to match, the warranty tag on the kick panel is replaceable and of "lesser importance ". Anyone can order a new one from Marti Auto.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Anyone can order a new one from Marti Auto.

Not exactly. If the VIN doesn't match the database records, even if it is identical between frame and title, Marti will do nothing for you.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Vehicle ID once reassigned does not have a matching Frame to body any longer as they wont match. There is not a separate ID for the Frame and Body when this happens. This is why I am wondering what people are doing with Rebody, new bodies and new frames.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Not exactly. If the VIN doesn't match the database records, even if it is identical between frame and title, Marti will do nothing for you.

Well of course in that case, but the OP has a 66 frame with a vin.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Getting a Marti or tag is not the question for my post. The question was more about how people are receiving or accepting reassigned VIN's and what others are doing that have totally rebodied or reframed as I am sure they have to get a new VIN as well.

crab

Bronco Guru
I know some states are much stricter then others. Oregon is pretty loose on vin checks to register a vehicle. If it was previously registered in Oregon, the dmv usually won’t ask or look. Out of state brought to Oregon, they look at the glovebox tag and that’s it. 20 years ago, I was looking at a bronco in Arizona which unfortunately sold to a guy in California. The seller later contacted me and said that he bought it back because he didn’t realize the frame and body had been swapped at some point and didn’t match (69/73) and California wouldn’t register it. So to be 50 state compliant, I think you would need both in your possession. I’m not sure if you can use a decommissioned number not in your possession nor will they create a new vin. If that were the case, antique vehicles would have no value. I’m curious as well what others say.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
States vary, if you get a re-assigned VIN that is the new VIN and none of the others are valid.

I some states it is possible to build from new and register similar to a kit car. They do a safety inspection and assign a brand new VIN. The year is either the year built or the year it most closely resembles. The good thing here is you only need to meet the standards of the year you are "replicating".

I think ICON and a few others are using the original title with the VIN transferred over or re-stamped.

crab

Bronco Guru
So if you want to register it as a ‘77 Ford Bronco you would need at least one original vin? I’m not familiar with a re-assigned vin and how it’s labeled?

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I guess I am a bit confused - title says: New Body, New Frame.....

Are you using a truly new body and truly new frame?? If so the reassigned VIN probably wouldn't deter me much - as long as I knew upfront why it was done.

However, if you are reusing a body and frame - with an existing VIN number and no matching title, and a reassigned VIN, I would have to pass.

Hope I made this clear, as I am not sure exactly what you are working with.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess I am a bit confused - title says: New Body, New Frame.....

Are you using a truly new body and truly new frame?? If so the reassigned VIN probably wouldn't deter me much - as long as I knew upfront why it was done.

However, if you are reusing a body and frame - with an existing VIN number and no matching title, and a reassigned VIN, I would have to pass.

Hope I made this clear, as I am not sure exactly what you are working with.

That is an interesting perspective. If it had a new body and old frame, a new frame and old body or both new, they could all have a new VIN assigned to the title in any one of those scenarios. Why would you pass on one but not the other? Just curious as the ownership documents are the same in each case that the title if for the vehicle even though it is not using a factory number.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I am concerned about putting too much into this one (66) I have as it is a different body than the frame and will have DMV reassigned VIN.

please elaborate on this part first...does your 66 frame have a VIN stamped on it? 2nd question do you have a title with the frame VIN?

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, the reason for a reassignment can vary but sometimes they cant find a VIN and sometimes they were lost and recovered. In this particular case, I have not found a VIN on the frame, only the new TAG issued on the Body.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
It depends on the state
Each one is different

I’m in Georgia
If you have a title , they don’t look at the vehicle at all , even if the title is from another state
Georgia also doesn’t require a title if it’s older than 25 years
Just a bill of sale , but the bos has to be accurate and have the name of the person it was last registered to and they will check that in their computer

We bought a Chevy pickup from Arizona that had a AZ issued VIN riveted on the B pillar and matching title
All the other numbers on the engine trans and frame were ground off

No clue why it had a state issued VIN but it wasn’t a problem in Georgia

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
PLEASE....NOT trying to be a smarta**, but do you know where to look on the frame to find the VIN?? I thought I did, but I wasn't looking in quite the right spot, as they may all not be 'exactly where they should be'. I did find mine eventually.

And, to answer your question - why would there need to be an assigned VIN number if there is one on the frame??? Lost title, no title, title VIN doesn't match frame........Title could show up somewhere down the line, AND, at that point I wouldn't want to deal with any hassles of who owns it. That is MY line of reasoning at least.

If your body is not on the frame it is a LOT EASIER to find the VIN on the frame that way.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes I know where the VIN should be. Once a new VIN is assigned, there cannot be a future issue, It is then on the state as they had to due their due diligence before assignment.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since this has taken a turn... Yes there are multiple reasons for a reassigned VIN. It does answer the question thought that some pwoplw reagrdless of the history would consider it a problem. That I concur.

So the next part, what kind of VIN would a reconstruct have using an old body without a VIN and a new frame? Also what do the titles/VIN look like when you order a frame from krawlers edge and a Dynacorn body?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Since this has taken a turn... Yes there are multiple reasons for a reassigned VIN. It does answer the question thought that some pwoplw reagrdless of the history would consider it a problem. That I concur.

So the next part, what kind of VIN would a reconstruct have using an old body without a VIN and a new frame? Also what do the titles/VIN look like when you order a frame from krawlers edge and a Dynacorn body?

member clarrance works for KE, may want to shoot him an IM