• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor Mat

Bronco Maniac

I bought one of the Dennis Carpenter floor mats at SC. I don't plan to take my top off anytime soon. I do plan to install AC in the near future. I would like to insulate the floor. I have read a lot of the old post about insulation and I am really confused now.

I am leaning toward Extreme Dynamat. I will just install in the front below the floor mat mainly for the heat. If it deadens the sound, that will be OK too. Will this be sufficient to keep the heat out? Do you recommend any additional insulation?

I have not even opened the box, does the floor mat get secured to the floor?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
No, the mat does not have any hardware provided to secure it to the floor. I installed one a little over a year ago and did not secure it. I have no problems. I did not put any insulation in but considered it. I didn't want the insulation peaking out.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
. I didn't want the insulation peaking out.

I'm wondering if anyone has stuck insulation to the mat instead of the floor? This would make it removable with the mat & still provide sound deadening, I'm just not sure how it would hold up?

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

I'm wondering if anyone has stuck insulation to the mat instead of the floor? This would make it removable with the mat & still provide sound deadening, I'm just not sure how it would hold up?

Now that is a thought. Interesting. I wonder how much massaging I will have to do to get the mat to fit. May fit like a glove.

jray

I installed one of these mats also. There are ridges on the bottom of the mat that fit into the grooves in the floor of the bed. I would imagine installing insulation to the bottom of the mat would be a pain.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed one of these mats also. There are ridges on the bottom of the mat that fit into the grooves in the floor of the bed. I would imagine installing insulation to the bottom of the mat would be a pain.

Ok that's interesting. Would sticking insulation to the floor interfere with the fit?
Anyone use stick on insulation on the underside of the Bronco? I've read about Lizard skin & ceramic beads but these are spray on & I'm not taking the body off my 66 if I can help it.

KBUCK1

I think the OP has the front mat only

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
There are lots and lots of different style insulation out there.
There is real thin stick-on stuff like Dynamat. Many generic versions of it out there now too like Brown Bread, Boom Mat, etc... you have seen these. The foil back reflects heat and the semi bituminous lead septum (gooey stuff) behind the foil deaden sound. Part of the sound deadening comes from reduction of sheet metal resonance. It does this through it sticking on to the metal. So sticking it to the back of the mat will dramatically reduce its sound reduction but the foil should still work to reflect heat.
EB's have really hot floor boards up front though so more insulation is needed.
Both JBG and BC sell some space age shit. It's rather thick (like 4 to 8 millimetres). Strategically placed under your mat where the heat is really coming from will probably make a big difference.
But as you know your strategy of attaching it to your mat instead of the sheet metal (I understand why) is likely going to reduce the effectiveness of the insulation. But that is just a good reason to kind of over do it ($). Like doing both Dynamat and the JBG/BC thick water proof insulation.
Yes rather costly but I like your idea.

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

There are lots and lots of different style insulation out there.
There is real thin stick-on stuff like Dynamat. Many generic versions of it out there now too like Brown Bread, Boom Mat, etc... you have seen these. The foil back reflects heat and the semi bituminous lead septum (gooey stuff) behind the foil deaden sound. Part of the sound deadening comes from reduction of sheet metal resonance. It does this through it sticking on to the metal. So sticking it to the back of the mat will dramatically reduce its sound reduction but the foil should still work to reflect heat.
EB's have really hot floor boards up front though so more insulation is needed.
Both JBG and BC sell some space age shit. It's rather thick (like 4 to 8 millimetres). Strategically placed under your mat where the heat is really coming from will probably make a big difference.
But as you know your strategy of attaching it to your mat instead of the sheet metal (I understand why) is likely going to reduce the effectiveness of the insulation. But that is just a good reason to kind of over do it ($). Like doing both Dynamat and the JBG/BC thick water proof insulation.
Yes rather costly but I like your idea.

Thanks for the replies. I had never thought about sticking the insulating material to the mat until it was mentioned here. I do not plan to go that route.

I just purchased Hushmat on Amazon. That is what I used on my top. It was cheaper than the Dynamat and appears to be the same material. Yes, my floorboards are hot. My floorboards are spray coated by the PO. Not sure of the material. It is a thick, smooth coating.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
As long as the Hushmat has a foil backing it will reflect some heat. Some of these products cater to the high sound quality audio crowd and therefore may not have the foil backing. I believe Brown Bread does not have the foil for example.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I would think that sticking the insulation to the underside of the mat would make the mat very difficult to install - it would make the mat very stiff and it needs to be somewhat flexible to get in in over the TC shifter unless you install it first without the TC shifter in place and probably the seats out too.

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

As long as the Hushmat has a foil backing it will reflect some heat. Some of these products cater to the high sound quality audio crowd and therefore may not have the foil backing. I believe Brown Bread does not have the foil for example.

It does have the foil backing. I guess I should open the up the floormat box.