• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking about going to Moab Bronco Safari

My69Pony

This year I can relate to the travel pains of those of you out of staters. I live in Utah, but work in North Dakota. I'll drive the 900 miles from work to home on Saturday, spend Sunday with the family, pack and load Monday morning and the drive the 200 miles to moab. I missed last year because of work, really looking forward to a great time this year.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
stout22...what Yeller said..

.it's breath taking....we drive 1,000 miles/2X a year to go wheeling there and in other SW areas... many types of trails...from 100 mile gravel roads to knarly, driving on the sidewalls type trails...

There's a great book that might really help you understand the variety of the trails in that area...remember there are 2 Natl Parks within 20 minutes and the Parks out here are amazing. Another 3 Natl Parks within 2 hours...we hang out after wheeling with everyone at the Safari for a couple more weeks and drive the back trails and hike into the Canyons...love to just sit and take it all in... breathtaking...

There area is pretty popular so there's a LOT more people than our first visits decades ago but it's still a great place...

Here's the trail guide book I mentioned. There are several updated versions...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...6435099:kwd-8581314601&ref=pd_sl_1q2r6ctplg_b

Sounds like your rig is ready to go...just remember--output shafts and front axles/ujoints take it in the shorts because the traction is so good...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Heres a bunch of pics from a video Mitch from WH put together from our last Safari. Mitch's videos are fun and give you an idea what its like there.
https://youtu.be/kPjd8KltszI

Attachments

• 20190124_224124.jpg
    20190124_224124.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190124_224134.jpg
    20190124_224134.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190124_224518.jpg
    20190124_224518.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190124_224223.jpg
    20190124_224223.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
nvrstuk, a friend loaned me that book. It's kind of funny looking at their trail ratings and comparing to what I'm used to. Paint scratches are at least a moderate trail.
It's amazing the number of trails. I want to be sure to hit the ones that have the best scenery and points of interest.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’m probably going to take some convaluted back road. Last trip we took 50 from dodge city KS to telluride co and cut across the lasal’s into Moab. Been about every way imaginable and they are all within 2 hours drive time. And now that I’m not 60’ long and limited by length no telling what I’ll do....lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For all you's guys that are very familiar with the area, have you ever gone out on remote BLM land trails? My first trip was with some guys that should have been local guides if they hadn't live in CA. Their dad had been taking them to the area since the early sixties and they knew so many ins-n-outs it was unbelievable.
We had 8 days there, and only one was spent in Moab proper (for showers and a break from the breathtaking experiences!).
One time we cut off of a side highway (after an official video viewing at a station) through someone's property, out their back gate and didn't see pavement again for three days! It was an amazing experience.
Ancient ruins, camping in caves with streams running through them, out in the stars, and even chased by hooting apaches on horseback with full weaponry for having us on!
They were filming the movie Geronimo adjacent to the trail we were on and were between scenes practicing their attack.
Priceless.

What was really priceless though, was us in our high-footin' four wheel drives thinkin' we were all rugged and stuff, only to come around a corner and see thirty or so HUGE 5th wheels and mess tents set up for the actors and crew!
And here we thought it was hard going up to that point. I still think they came in on a larger road we hadn't seen.

You just never know what you're going to see out there.
But in all this, don't lose sight of looking up. At night time you know you aren't in the city anymore. If you're patient you will see satellites circling the earth, along with the meteors and occasional airplane.

Sounds like you don't need any convincing, but it's still fun tryin'!;D

Paul

My69Pony

By the way, registration is now open, as of the moment 140 slots remaining.

ransil

Bronco Guru
nvrstuk, a friend loaned me that book. It's kind of funny looking at their trail ratings and comparing to what I'm used to. Paint scratches are at least a moderate trail.
It's amazing the number of trails. I want to be sure to hit the ones that have the best scenery and points of interest.

Thanks for everyone's input.

wheeled the east coast 90% of the time in the woods, only time i put a tree stick in a tire sidewall was in Moab.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I’m probably going to take some convaluted back road. Last trip we took 50 from dodge city KS to telluride co and cut across the lasal’s into Moab. Been about every way imaginable and they are all within 2 hours drive time. And now that I’m not 60’ long and limited by length no telling what I’ll do....lol

YOU... No way LOL

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wait... There's a limit??:?

Just out of curiosity, what's the limit based on?

Thanks

Paul

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Wait... There's a limit??:?

Just out of curiosity, what's the limit based on?

Thanks

Paul

Their permit with blm for an organized event. It limits the number of registered entrants. An organized event has to have a permit. 200 freinds can magically show up for. A trail ride and it’s all good. Never understood.

anythingford

Loc.
Dacusville, SC
Their permit with blm for an organized event. It limits the number of registered entrants. An organized event has to have a permit. 200 freinds can magically show up for. A trail ride and it’s all good. Never understood.

We are taking about the government yeller. . . . .

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
Whats is the format of the event? Is it sign up for a trail per day, or trail riding after trail as long as you have light? I was wanting to go this year but some family issues came up and I won't be able to.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Its pretty laid back, they do official trails that you have to sign up for, but there are a several unofficial runs from groups that go and do their own thing.