• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Help. I want to do this. The junk yard cut the main plug off the harness when they pulled my 97 explorer 5.0 motor.
I am looking for a harness if someone has one?

Splice one back on. I’ve built a few harnesses and lengthened the the ECU lead 3’. Grab one from a V6 OBDII Explorer. They’re about 2’ longer, and have about 90% of the correct colored wires.

Mark

Galt72

Contributor
He helped me as of Feb of 21. The email I used at the time was theefiguy@ Gmail. I think I have his phone number somewhere. I'll try to find it.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Yes, Garry is still doing the Explorer harness and re-flash. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and got on his wait list. He is about a 3 month wait list. Here is his number. I will pm you his number.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
EDIT: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257251
9ngCH6U.jpg

So this harness AND the engine harness is required, or just this dash harness?

JKH67302

Contributor
That is the firewall harness that you will need and you will also need the engine harness. You do not need the dash harness. But, do grab the OBD II port from inside and the fuel enertia switch, both of which are in the cab. Be sure to give yourself as much of the wires as you can when you cut them out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I were to find one in the junk yard, how difficult is it to pull this dash harness? Any special tools for disassembly to get to it? I think I've got the engine harness covered already.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, is this firewall harness specific to 5.0 explorers, or the same firewall harness on the 6 cylinders?

76 bumblebee

sorry to bring this back up. I am looking at getting a complete parts 99 mountaineer for a swap into my 76 bronco crawler. What is best way to get a hold of EFI guy (Gary) to talk to him about what I have going on and my particular project?

thanks

sdough

sorry to bring this back up. I am looking at getting a complete parts 99 mountaineer for a swap into my 76 bronco crawler. What is best way to get a hold of EFI guy (Gary) to talk to him about what I have going on and my particular project?

thanks
You may be able to get a hold of him on Facebook. Garry Vance

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He is/I am.
Both get used in most situations. The fender mounted starter relay remains in place and it is used to energize the starter mounted solenoid when the key is turned to start. Among other things.
Just like Ford does it…

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
It is a personal choice... Yes they say you can eliminate the factory fender relay, but it is a point of contact for many things needing power. Yes, you could have a remote post to hook all your accessories to... Or you could hook everything directly to the battery post, depending on the (+) battery post clamp. (I use Military spec Batt terminal and this would be my last choice)

Even the Ford Explorer that has the PM starter still has a Fender mounted relay... Ford had a reason for it.

WindVeil

He is/I am.
Both get used in most situations. The fender mounted starter relay remains in place and it is used to energize the starter mounted solenoid when the key is turned to start. Among other things.
Just like Ford does it…

Paul
I feel like I took the hard route (always) I am using the Explorer wiring for everything. I removed all the original items (Bronco) off the wheel well. I just figured the explorer harness powered it before so it should be good. I do not get power to my starter though only using the explorer wiring. I think it may be neutral safety (using the 4R70W) but not sure. It fires right up with a hot wire run to the battery. I was hoping to get it done before making my own thread, but I may have to start one to help me finish.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well the original explorer harness should also have had the full starter wiring including the molded Y-shaped connector that would go on a later model starter relay.

Find and follow the red with blue wire that I’m assuming you hooked up to the small contact point on the starter mounted solenoid. See if it’s got power when the key is and start.
Sounds like it does not, and if that’s the case you need to verify that power is going to the red with blue wire on the back of your ignition switch. If it is then you have to find out where it stops.
That could be at a neutral safety switch, or “range switch” I think it’s called on a 4R70W, or it could be in a missing section that was cut out when you removed the original starter relay wiring.

WindVeil

Well the original explorer harness should also have had the full starter wiring including the molded Y-shaped connector that would go on a later model starter relay.

Find and follow the red with blue wire that I’m assuming you hooked up to the small contact point on the starter mounted solenoid. See if it’s got power when the key is and start.
Sounds like it does not, and if that’s the case you need to verify that power is going to the red with blue wire on the back of your ignition switch. If it is then you have to find out where it stops.
That could be at a neutral safety switch, or “range switch” I think it’s called on a 4R70W, or it could be in a missing section that was cut out when you removed the original starter relay wiring.
Luckily tomorrow is Friday and I can go and verify the wires. I started the conversion in July and moved it to my house after the mechanicals seemed to be in order around September, so I don't remember off the top of my head. I finally decided to send Garry my computer to at least minimize my issues, I hope, and it came in the mail this week so I will be out there putting that back in as well. Wish me luck.