• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My second Bronco... Crawler build...

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I started this thread looking or a little advice on buying a Bronco to build as a crawler using parts from my current crawler... well i bought it. Read below to see my plans or jump to page two for details on the new one.

Been beating around scrapping my Dodge crawler and building a Bronco. I want a low crawler, built to do it all.

SouthernShine2012001.jpg

Parts I would reuse on the Bronco;
16" FOA coilovers
PSC full hydro steering
44" TSL Swampers on 15x10 Bart beadlocks
Rear Dodge Dana 60- smooth bottom, 5.13 gears, spool, disk conversion, 35spline shafts.
12k Warn winch
12k mile marker winch
Dual optima batteries
Misc small stuff

Stuff to sell:
Low pinion Dodge dr drop D60, 5.13 gears, locker, full hydro mount, set up for 4 link and coil overs
5" dodge springs (coils & leafs)
231/231 double- 7.4:1, 2.72:1 ratios.

I am going to look at this running '70 Saurday. Includes:

351w C6, NP205
Fuel cell (plastic I think)
HP Kingpin D60- unknown gears
Rear D60 unknown gears
'Custom lift'
39" TSLs, 39" boggers TSLs newer, but both in good shape.
Extra hood
New aluminum radiator
Roadster inserts
Set of AFR 165 heads- used
Set of Scorpion 1.6 rockers- used

The bad...
No power steering, no power brakes
Hood on truck is rusted
Tailgate has bottom cancer
Rockers have holes
Floors forward of seats are like Swiss cheese
Front steering, trackbar and suspension all has to go
No bumpers, no cage...
HP60 needs to be built.
Door posts are not terrible...

Thoughts on this bronco?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
taskerinjected?

Is this like Fool Injected?? LOL!!

Carbureted motor... likely a non roller with high miles. I have another 302 block and another Explorer intake I could use- worst case. Was told the 351 runs and starts with one pump of the pedal (manual fuel pump).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
My thoughts are that the tires, axles and heads with this Bronco are worth about $3k- give or take- if you know what to do with them.

The owner says the frame is completely solid, never been welded and looks like its never been on salted roads. He was clear about the body- needing new floors, rockers and tailgate/hood issues. I plan to cut out the rockers anyway- it has a spare hood in decent shape, floors are not too much work and it is going to be a crawler not a show truck...

So- worth the price?? AND 5 hour drive each way??

ransil

Bronco Guru
3K looks high for what is there and not useable, its in perfect shape for a trail truck, for cheaper

I would skip the extra parts for $900

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
you design the lift and steering linkage?

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
you design the lift and steering linkage?

Ouch...

My signature line does identify me as a hack... but a First Class Hack... I could do a little better...

3K looks high for what is there and not useable, its in perfect shape for a trail truck, for cheaper

I would skip the extra parts for $900

What do you think is reasonable for it?

Used AFR heads go for $900 all day, Kingpin HP D60 front is $1200 around here. My primary concern is the body & frame for starters, and engine & Trans combo on this one is better than the 302/C4.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I'D shoot for 2k up around here, can't go down but always can go up. You better get cracking, Round Up is next week! (and i know you won't disappoint me!)

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I'D shoot for 2k up around here, can't go down but always can go up. You better get cracking, Round Up is next week! (and i know you won't disappoint me!)

As much as I would love to be there...

I just don't think my Kitchen pass will extend that far and I am going to look at this Bronco tomorrow.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
its not bad for a trail rig start. I paid $4,500 for my trail rig last year but the PO had spent twice as much on upgrades alone. I also just cut the rockers out vs. replaced them.

Put a ford logo on the Dodge and bring it up to the Round Up. :)

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I also just cut the rockers out vs. replaced them.

Put a ford logo on the Dodge and bring it up to the Round Up. :)

Did Tasker put you up to that? I would love to, but the Dodge is experiencing a major hydraulic steering leak at the moment...

My plan would be to cut the rockers out to the doors. I have looked at a few broncos in the $5k range, but most were too nice to turn into a beater- And to be clear, 44" tires and a low(ish) truck requires alot of trimming.

I am a pretty poor driver, so this will likely hit a few immovable objects in its life... I don't want to start with a rig like my '75 only to be afraid to scratch it... I want to enjoy it like I do the Dodge and the ONLY straight panel left on the Dodge is the hood (because I actually do better off road than on road!).

At the moment, I may not be able to see past the D60s, 39s and 351/C6 enough to see how bad the body is. It may be a waste of a Saturday... But I will enjoy the road trip with my bro-in-law.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Hey be careful! I'm rocking non-Ford sheet metal at the Round-up again!! It does have part of Ford front axle though!

Run it!!!!!!

That Dodge has F250 rotors on the rear disks... Does that qualify??

Likely canceled by the Chevy calipers and Chevy NVG241 tease in the doubler...%)

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Well different direction for the thread... I bought the Bronco- with all the parts (list to follow) For alot less than asking. And while it looks rough... I actually have a lot of confidence in this Bronco. The driver and passenger floors need to be replaced, but the rest looks half decent and even the windshield folded down with no issues to reveal no rot! Pics to follow.

Specs again.
351,C6,NP205
HP kingpin D60 front
D60 rear
39 TSLs front, 39 Boggers rear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
The trip over the eastern NC was pretty funny... Lots of big gay trucks and all kinds of cars and trucks with HUGE wheels!:eek:

How we found the truck

null_zps084236f8.jpg

Looking under the hood, I found a dirty 351, not great wiring, an overly large radiator with dual electric fans... That work! Best part was the custom overflow bottle...

null_zpsa7b996cf.jpg

My bro-in-law fell in love with the 'custom' exhaust exits both sides- and he insists I keep them (not happening).

null_zps200f57b0.jpg

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Tires looked great... AND they are for sale!!

null_zps24130fe0.jpg

null_zps17d628dd.jpg

Loaded her up and took her home!

null_zps636109b1.jpg

null_zpsff343a33.jpg

null_zps930a1711.jpg

Last edited: