• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 Bronco Ranger originality and modifications

fishinman78

Contributor
So I have been looking fairly consistently for a 73-77 Ranger package Bronco the last few years. I kind of assumed I would have to settle for a project that I would be able to work on over time. This last weekend I was fortunate enough to come across and purchase a one family owned 1976 Blue Ranger.

Father bought it brand new in 1976 and was willed to his son when he passed in 2002. The son didn't have alot of interest at the time so the Bronco was parked in an outbuilding at their family farm until about 2 years ago when the son pulled it out of storage and decided he wanted to clean it up and sell it. It was a very difficult decisions for him since his Dad meant so much for him.

When my buddy Crab and I looked at the bronco, we couldn't believe the originality. It has 117k original miles. The paint is original and all the interior is original. Everything works, its crazy. The seller had the original sales brochure and the original purchase invoice from the dealer from 1976. It is like a time capsule, there are almost no mods to it. I would really say it is 98-99% original. The only thing done which is a bummer is he installed swing out mirrors to tow a small trailer.

So, I made the purchase with the promise to the seller that I would keep it original and preserve it, which I plan to do.

Here in lies my question and where I am looking for advice. I am unsure as to where to start. There are a few things I would like to do and I want to respect the Previous owner as well as the originality of the Bronco.

Here is kind of a short list on things I am considering. I welcome feedback on any of them.

1-Replace the carpet, it is a bit tattered in spots with holes and stains. I have been talking with a fellow member who has a 76 Ranger specific blue carpet kit and we are working through a purchase

2-Repair the upholstery on the front seats. I can go a couple ways with this. The drivers seat is pretty good with just some cracks in the vinyl, but the houndstooth is nice. No rips or anything. There is a heavy wear spot in the houndstooth insert on the passenger seat that will need repair. What I would like to do is find a used cover with good material and replace it with an original piece, but not sure how realistic this is. Alternatively I can order a set of replacement seat covers from Bronco Hut, but I struggle with this because ultimately the original stuff is not that bad and if I can find a patch panel it keeps more original.

3- Suspension work. I need to replace bushings/springs/etc. My original thought was to do a 2 1/2" lift and run a 30x9.50x15 and is ultimately still what I would like to do. But again is keeping it stock height with a stock size tire better for originality.

4 - Roll bar. My wife is not keen at all on the original lap belts. She is actually super uncomfortable even driving in it with lap belts. She wants me to put a roll bar and 3 point seat belts in. I was thinking I could do just a simple behind the front seats roll bar with the kickers that go back to the flat spot by the tailgate. I am hating the idea of drilling the body, but safety is important.

5- Center Console. Thinking about a tuffy center console so we can lock things up and install a radio in it.

Maybe this Bronco is just a limited driver too take to events and shows and only a driver on rare occassions...

Attachments

• 20200822_153123.jpg
    20200822_153123.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 391
  • 20200822_153010.jpg
    20200822_153010.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 368
  • 20200822_153106.jpg
    20200822_153106.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_20200823_192055_087.jpg
    IMG_20200823_192055_087.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_20200823_192055_084.jpg
    IMG_20200823_192055_084.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 20200826_212156.jpg
    20200826_212156.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 20200819_183914.jpg
    20200819_183914.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man, what a find! My wife and I have been looking for a mostly stock automatic version for some time now. If it were me I'd keep it as original as possible, even the seats aren't that bad. But it's yours so do what ever you want. I would add the simple roll bar and shoulder belts.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I had a ‘76 just like that. If it was mine I would put a stock steering wheel back on it and drive it....nothing else, no seat repairs, and no lift!

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
I had a ‘76 just like that. If it was mine I would put a stock steering wheel back on it and drive it....nothing else, no seat repairs, and no lift!

Haha! I forget to mention the steering wheel.

It is ultra custom. My son says it looks like a bowling ball ;D;D

The same member with the carpet kit says he has a stock ranger steering wheel too so that is on my list of to dos for sure.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As nice as the 44 year old carpet is, I wouldn't dare change it! How many original Rangers still have their Ford carpet? Not many!! Congrats on a rare find this day and time!

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
As nice as the 44 year old carpet is, I wouldn't dare change it! How many original Rangers still have their Ford carpet? Not many!! Congrats on a rare find this day and time!

It really only shows the good part of the carpets in the pictures. The drivers and passengers have big holes under the floor mats and unfortunately the owner at some time had a dog because the rear carpet is dug up with holes as well. I really would love to keep it, but it really needs replaced.

That or some very creative floor mats/coverings in the damaged areas.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
If you’re going to drive it regularly, I’d opt for the simplest full cage. The roll bar by itself will not provide adequate protection if you flip it. The windshield frame and hard top crumple like a Coors light can. Nice find. Wonder how I can’t find one that sweet.

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
If you’re going to drive it regularly, I’d opt for the simplest full cage. The roll bar by itself will not provide adequate protection if you flip it. The windshield frame and hard top crumple like a Coors light can. Nice find. Wonder how I can’t find one that sweet.

I would think this will be a very limited driver. Summer time car shows and cruises as well as maybe a breakfast or dinner run here and there.

ron

i just sold my stock 77 blue ranger and it appears the dash pad on yours has bee n changed the original color was blue so the top has been off. very nice find and i never put a roll bar in mine but fully understand the need.

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
If it were me, I would NOT remove that rear decal! That is awesome. I would go thorugh all the fluids and replace brake lines/master cylinder as needed. add a small lift (1.5" W/H) and replace all bushings, add a more aggressive tire and leave the hubcaps.

My thoughts on a roll bar/cage etc are it depends on how you use it. You mentioned cruises/ car shows. If you expect to stay within or below 55 mph on country roads I personally wouldn't stress about a roll bar.

THEBONE

Nice find, what a beauty. I'm restoring a '77 ranger. I decided on a restore rather than a survivor because of a couple of dents but it was a close call. Anyways, I figure mine will also be a very limited driver, same type of use you described. I see no reason for a roll bar for that kind of use. Slowleak's advice is good, as usual, but new carpet might be nice. You can probably find some donor seat covers if you are patient. No radio needed for a very limited driver. Enjoy!

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
i just sold my stock 77 blue ranger and it appears the dash pad on yours has bee n changed the original color was blue so the top has been off. very nice find and i never put a roll bar in mine but fully understand the need.

It's a cheesy overlay that ends at the windshield area. The blue dash is still under there just heavily cracked.

I know for sure the top has never been off. The seller assured me that his dad never took the top off because he told him it would never line up the same if he did. He really took alot of pride in ownership of this Bronco.

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
If it were me, I would NOT remove that rear decal! That is awesome. I would go thorugh all the fluids and replace brake lines/master cylinder as needed. add a small lift (1.5" W/H) and replace all bushings, add a more aggressive tire and leave the hubcaps.

My thoughts on a roll bar/cage etc are it depends on how you use it. You mentioned cruises/ car shows. If you expect to stay within or below 55 mph on country roads I personally wouldn't stress about a roll bar.

I like the way you think :) I am more and more leaning towards a 1 1/2" lift with 30" tires with stock wheels and hubcaps

I am lucky in the fact that the seller did replace a majority of the brake parts when he put it for sale which included the hard lines and master cylinder.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What an amazing find, congrats! I agree with slowleak - replace the steering wheel, maybe refurbish the blue dash. Put the 30’s on it first, then see if you still want to lift it.

And enjoy the heck out of it!!

TheLimeRanger

Amazing find! Congrats. Tell me how does one end up with the name “crab”?

I’d get a stick steering wheel and drive it as is. I think it looks great

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
Really nice find. I see they traded in a 71 Bronco for the 76 and got $3100.00 for it.
Since you are going to keep it, do you mind telling how much it sold for?

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Damn Chad. That is a great find. Why dont you sell me that 76 instead of the other one? Hard to find them like that anymore. 👍. Not sure I am going to make it over there tomorrow. Will message you tomorrow. Luv that new find!

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
Damn Chad. That is a great find. Why dont you sell me that 76 instead of the other one? Hard to find them like that anymore. 👍. Not sure I am going to make it over there tomorrow. Will message you tomorrow. Luv that new find!

I know. Super lucky. We were looking for property in eastern Oregon and then found this. Too good to pass up since I have been looking for so long.