• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco's of Iceland

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Greetings lady's, Gentlemen, and fellow Bronco Enthusiasts

I thought that I would post, this topic here for those of you that have interest in the Bronco story outside of US. As most of you know, a lot of first generation Bronco's were Imported to Iceland due to good exchange rate and low taxes.

I have started to register as many Bronco's as I can and to do so I use the same software that this page is built on Vbulletin v5.6
Now many of our Bronco's, are gone but for those that are still registered in the Icelandic DMV records I will be adding, with photos and owner story VIN number, registration numbers and other number plates.

To day the total number of Bronco's on my record is 426 with them I have over 1505 photos. Up to 20 photos of the same car. Most are from 1974 and 1966.
Through Information from various ad's in old newspapers I have found sales numbers but I still have not got them confirmed. For example, Ad's for 1966 "Last year we sold 590 Ford Bronco´s" and for 1974 "Last year we sold 750 Ford Bronco´s"

The numbers between those years are lower and I am still waiting to see documents about them. But I think it's safe to say we got around 2000 Bronco's in the first 11 years.

How do I trace
Now in the old days each County in Iceland had it's own letter to put in front of a number on a license plate. For Example Reykjavik got "R" so all Reykjavik numbers would start with "R" and then any number up to 6 in total. So a Reykjavik License plate could be R1 or R4834 etc..

This was good. Any one would know where you were from and most families had there own number for years and the number was moved between cars as the where bought and sold. This proved to be trouble in the end, because you could end up with 20 cars that at some point in time had all used the same Old License plate. Changes where made in 1988.

The DMV decided that all cars would get a fixed number with 2 to 3 letters and numbers that number would identify the car from others. So the old plate where marked as overlays you could say and you could look them up and they will link you to a the Fixed Number. This changes where good but... All Bronco's that where registered as Ruined where not moved over to the new registration system. My hopes are the the government has information about them as they where moved through the tax system.

To day I try collect photos of Broncos if the license plate is Old and I get lucky the number will give me the new Fixed number and I can get detailed info on the Bronco. If I don't find anything... Let's say I find a photo of a 1966 Bronco with the plate Þ125. But later it was moved to a 1976 Bronco I will only find the 76 as it was the latest car to have the plate. I have records of Bronco´s who had over 20 old plates and over 20 owners. So this can be a headache some times. A lot of tracing and entering numbers.

I hope you will find this interesting ;)

Now example of the Database
This the earliest Photo I have, of my own 1976 Bronco, I got from the very first owner. There with the license plate "Þ125" ("Þ" being Þingeyjarsýsla Northern Iceland)
AXmeXxh.jpg

Would give me Fixed Number "EK082" and this details from the DMV. If you look closely you see that my Bronco had 7 owners before me and 3 old style License plates and it has 8 photos
Dxmu4CT.jpg

Photos of 1974 Broncos. There are 613 photos
P5ttnwz.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, thanks for posting this up Geiri. Great story and great effort on your part!
Love seeing the pics of them being used, and of the beautiful area they can play in.

keep the updates coming when you can. Is your site public and can we view it? Be fun to keep up with another active group sometimes.
maybe you said and I missed it.

Thanks again.

paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome welcome.. some great material there.. Nice rigs

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Thanks for taking the time and putting forth the effort to document the Bronco's in your country. I've always been impressed with some of the creativeness that I've seen on Icelandic builds. They add a interesting prospective to winter wheeling and conditions.

Please keep adding on.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Thanks for taking the time and putting forth the effort to document the Bronco's in your country. I've always been impressed with some of the creativeness that I've seen on Icelandic builds. They add a interesting prospective to winter wheeling and conditions.

Please keep adding on.

^^^THIS^^^

There was a post last year or two showing some really "beefy" bronco builds in Iceland. No doubt there is a strong classic broncos following where you are. :cool:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only Bronco there I knew about before your post was the "Bronco" that runs Formula off-road - the Katla Turbo. Thanks for showing us more that are more real Broncos!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
^^^THIS^^^

There was a post last year or two showing some really "beefy" bronco builds in Iceland. No doubt there is a strong classic broncos following where you are. :cool:

Worth having an event I'd say too :)

NoSunHere

Loc.
Cleveland, Ohio USA
I have an interesting story behind our 1974 Bronco. It was built in the US for export only to Iceland. The guy we bought it from was stationed in Iceland and brought this Bronco back to the US. So we have an imported 1974 Ford Bronco! :) I'm curious as to how many export only Broncos made it back to the US.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have an interesting story behind our 1974 Bronco. It was built in the US for export only to Iceland. The guy we bought it from was stationed in Iceland and brought this Bronco back to the US. So we have an imported 1974 Ford Bronco! :) I'm curious as to how many export only Broncos made it back to the US.

Welcome aboard... :) u found the right place

bmbm

Icelandic Broncos

Hey great pictures and information! Thanks

Me2carcrazy1

Contributor
Broncos in Iceland! Totally awesome! Iceland is now on the top of my list to visit, and to see Broncos there would be epic.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Welcome aboard for sure .
& Welcome from TEXAS . My world is night a days different from yours. But like someone before me said about our Broncos ... YOURS IN YOUR PART OF THE WORLD Is why we all like to look yours over & We like for you to look ours over.. THEIR all still Broncos but WE LOVE Each & EVERY story of them all.
... Keep posting Please.
WELCOME Pa Pitt.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
^^^THIS^^^

yes and i wanted those big flares that they have...