• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on old parts

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
Currently restoring my '77. Not every nut and bolt, but a majority of the truck is getting replaced. Would you reuse your old filler neck with bucket or buy new? Thank you for the input...

Attachments

• Filler neck with bucket.jpg
    Filler neck with bucket.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 109

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In my 30 year experience of working on custom automotive projects and more specifically , early Broncos, I had rather use original parts any day over most repop parts. The original parts cannot be beat for fit and function. We are glad that aftermarket companies build so many Bronco parts because it makes restorations much easier, but my choice is original over repop every time!

It's got to be the question: Do you want a made in USA Bronco?...or do you want a made in the Orient Bronco?

OP
OP
gmduncan

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
In my 30 year experience of working on custom automotive projects and more specifically , early Broncos, I had rather use original parts any day over most repop parts. The original parts cannot be beat for fit and function. We are glad that aftermarket companies build so many Bronco parts because it makes restorations much easier, but my choice is original over repop every time!

It's got to be the question: Do you want a made in USA Bronco?...or do you want a made in the Orient Bronco?

Thank you...

I was on the fence about new vs original. I asked two friends of mind that are both restoring early Ford F100's and they too are of the same school of thought. Use original parts when possible.

MS73HD302

I agree with using old parts when possible. A fresh coat of paint makes them at least look new

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Clean up the original the best you can still better quality than newer stuff
You can paint those fuel buckets and they come out nice wire brush on the pipe is good too.
Funny dirt and grime really protect the metal sometimes

Mark1911

After restoring several cars for clients over the years, Repop parts either don’t fit correctly nor operate correctly let along last even a couple of years. I would rather have an NOS if possible or an original part with a blemish.
Takes a lot more work to bring an original part back to life but worth it. Fit and function is perfect that way.

Mark.

RM70

Contributor
I prefer original over aftermarket if at all possible unless they are using the original stamps.

OP
OP
gmduncan

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
Thank you all for making my decision easier. I'm sticking with original parts.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
with steel options being foreign made.. I will repair the OEM parts if possible.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

amen to that.. if it's functional and working, go with it

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OEM.

Old OEM.

Rusted OEM.

Bent OEM.

Broken OEM.

Then, repop, in that order.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just replaced the aux filler neck on my '77. I reused the old bucket, but did pop for a new rubber grommet. The old one was really hard. The plastic bucket was fine.

The reason I replaced the neck is that back in the day I pulled out the catalytic converter, and also the nozzle restrictor flapper in the neck. I damaged the cap sealing surface when I did that. Finally this year I replaced the neck after hearing complaints about the gas smell in our garage.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
gather up all your nuts and bolts and all the other metal odds and ends and sent them out to be replanted like new.