• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front cross member notch for explorer swap (pic request)

suckerpunched

does anyone have a picture that would accurately show where the notch needs to be centered on the front cross member? I don't have an explorer donor yet, in fact all I have is a frame, time and a welder. I know a lot of guys get away without notching the frame but I figured I have time right know to clearance it, and might as well do it because until I can afford axles and a suspension kit, I don't have anything else to do.

Attachments

• 20191211_161540.jpg
    20191211_161540.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 47

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Boy, I would spend the time on something else if it were me. You may be like many of us and not need to notch the frame. Why compromise the frame until you know for certain that you will absolutely need to do so? I would just say "no" until you know. Maybe plan on getting a set of "extreme" motor mounts that will give the necessary clearance. Spend the time cleaning things up on the frame or something. Anyway, that is what I would do in this situation. Others may disagree.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
/\/\ What they said x3

There is also a smaller pulley that can be used for that idler to give more clearance. (sorry, I don't have the part number on hand)

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can also, if you have a motor lift, losen the motor mounts and rotate the motor just a little. I solved this with extreme motor mounts, no tilt needed, have about 3/4 inch clearance.

wookie650

What Mars said. I have a 351W with extreme motor mounts and did not need to notch the frame.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
351 lifts the whole bracket and never needs a notch
Smaller pulley is now well known
Extreme mounts, shim between mount and block, even just clocking the engine slightly in the slot are all well known for adequate clearance.

No need to notch. Old information if you are told to do so.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Extreme mounts, shim between mount and block, even just clocking the engine slightly in the slot are all well known for adequate clearance.

X2, definitely no need for a notch with a 351, I have enough room that I have a trans cooler line under the pulley on top of the frame of mine.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
/\/\ What they said x3

There is also a smaller pulley that can be used for that idler to give more clearance. (sorry, I don't have the part number on hand)

NAPA #NBH36079 60mm in dia. (Borrowed from another thread)

What has been said Previously, don't cut the frame...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On my 76 I got stock motor mounts and I only have a 1/2” I may go to the extreme motor mount

Not to avoid a sale of motor mounts%), but I'd say 1/2" is plenty of clearance.
The engine should not rock that much, and it does not flex up and down front to back, so as long as you have room to install a belt when it's time, you have plenty of room.

Nothing wrong with some peace of mind of course, so if you still want that added clearance and are working around the engine anyway, new mounts are not that hard to install.

Paul

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I’ve done explorer swap on both a 302 & 351. Didn’t have to notch either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

well the consensus here is clear enough. I guess I will prune the trees in my back yard this weekend which will make my wife happy.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Here is a part number 38082 O’Reilly’s