• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Remote reservoir for explorer PS pump

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Sounds good. I ran a Yoda pump (not up to the task) but the Yoda strg box was great!!

I run a 1 ⁵/⁸" x 8" ram, run HB brakes, turn flat 40"s and after 4 different boxes and 4 different pumps while having to drill out the outlet on the CB pump and swapping from a 5.5" pulley to a 4.5" (the pump is designed for rpm-I turn it for minutes on end at 5500-6000 rpm) I finally having a system that works really well. Learned more anout pumps than I ever wanted to know in the process! lol

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds good. I ran a Yoda pump (not up to the task) but the Yoda strg box was great!!

I run a 1 ⁵/⁸" x 8" ram, run HB brakes, turn flat 40"s and after 4 different boxes and 4 different pumps while having to drill out the outlet on the CB pump and swapping from a 5" pulley to a 3.5" (the pump is designed for rpm-I turn it for minutes on end at 5500-6000 rpm) I finally having a system that works really well. Learned more anout pumps than I ever wanted to know in the process! lol

I'm running a 1.5" x 7 ram on the D60 in my '78 (on 40s, HB brakes and ported '78 steering box) and the Sag pump isn't cutting it. I'm debating what to go with next. I really like the Nissan pump but I think stepping up a bit is probably wiser in that case.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I used a CB style pump. SSR's, Trailblazer and (I need to look up the year and other models for ya)

Drilled output fitting .187" as from the factory it is barely .140. Replaced bypass valve to increase press to 1600 psi.

The original pulley dia was 5.5" and I reduced it to 4.5" (not 3.5").

Doing these simple mods increased the flow and pressure to overcome all the typical symptoms I was having prior.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used a CB style pump. SSR's, Trailblazer and (I need to look up the year and other models for ya)

Drilled output fitting .187" as from the factory it is barely .140. Replaced bypass valve to increase press to 1600 psi.

The original pulley dia was 5.5" and I reduced it to 4.5" (not 3.5").

Doing these simple mods increased the flow and pressure to overcome all the typical symptoms I was having prior.

Good info.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I have Jamie’s tank the same one as in the pics above and when I was in Moab this year the little air vent hole near the top sprayed out all over the distributor and on top of the engine on steep hill climbs and severe declines. I had to refill it once while there I never thought about fire but I probably should have

Thank you for sharing this insight.

I just ordered a reservoir from Jaime and had him locate the vent facing the passenger fender. That way it won’t be as susceptible to leaking if Bronco is pointed up or down. Also, if it does leak (or spew) it isn’t going onto hot engine / exhaust.

I shared your insight and he was very appreciative.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Can you guys put bigger coolers in so your fluid won't expand when heated and shoot out over your engine or fender or...?

You could cover the issue and drill and tap the cap and route an "overflow" line somewhere...

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I use an explorer cooler on mine.

The challenge with these reservoirs when using a stock hood and little or no body lift, is that there isn't a lot of live storage above the outlet that feeds the line into the pump. No way to get around it really, so not questioning the design.

So you have to manage the heat induced expansion.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is one Jamie did for hydro-boost applications
04314ec324b74502af8c13e77b8bb5a1.jpg
95131dcbdc4c8e894612bda733734bbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a purdy tank.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Has anybody had any update on Jamie guy that made the stainless steel reservoirs
Yeah, I do...

After months and a few emails to him, he reponded to me in December 2020.
Covid kicked his ass. He did not go into details, but his outlook on Life and Family changed. I suspect he has lingering effects from having Covid.
I told him to take care of himself and his Family. He said he was considering trying to restart making PS resivoirs and Coolant overflow bottles in Janurary. I told him I needed one of each if he was well enough. And well we are heading into the end of February and I haven't heard from him? So I guess that source is unavailable...
Doug