• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Budd body rairity

Major Tom

Contributor
there is a 66 U13 for sale on Ebay that has caught my interest. Its an early Budd body. The description is some thing I have never heard. This is the first time I have heard them referred to as prototypes and Have never heard they were considered the first 200 built. anyone else ever heard this.

Here is your chance to own one of the few remaining unrestored early 1966 U13 Roadster Broncos! Body built by BUDD, not Ford. The same company that built the original Bronco prototype. This is from the pre-production/prototype tooling and not the final Ford tooling. These were only assembled in Aug, Sept and Oct of 1965 while Ford finalized their production line, then Ford took over by Nov 1965 and made the rest. This one has the original VIN stamp beginning with U13, not a copycat or converted U14 (truck) or U15 (wagon). A Budd Body makes it one of the first 200 Broncos off the assembly line and highly collectible!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
These are the eyebrow grille Broncos. I've not heard the 200 numbered confirmed?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
So they're saying there were only 200 broncos made from August to October? While I agree the eyebrows seem to disappear towards late November, forward facing rear shocks and the "missing Ford rectangle" below the driver seat continued on way into the production year.

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor
if that's the case , I guess my Sept. build U13 is a rare pre production/prototype and one of only 200 ever built. HA HA

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
I've read a couple for sale listings that stated less than 200 have survived in the U13 models for 66-68. I find that really hard to believe.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've read a couple for sale listings that stated less than 200 have survived in the U13 models for 66-68. I find that really hard to believe.

I've got 281 vins for 66 u13 alone, some are probably duplicates, I'm trying to get that sorted out.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
I've got 281 vins for 66 u13 alone, some are probably duplicates, I'm trying to get that sorted out.

Bobby, on Tim's roadster13.com mine is listed there twice. Once under Brian Ivey, who I bought it from this past January, then under my name Terry A Akins.

OP
OP
Major Tom

Major Tom

Contributor

maybe running and driving

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've seen at least two or three dozen eyebrow grills on this board over the years. If there were only 200 in existence, they would be a lot more rare.

By those numbers, a '66 Budd bodied bronco would be more rare than a '68 roadster. I know of two '68 roadsters but have seen a couple dozen eyebrow grilles? The 200 number is pulled out of someone's ass. Probably the guy selling it on ebay.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Bobby, on Tim's roadster13.com mine is listed there twice. Once under Brian Ivey, who I bought it from this past January, then under my name Terry A Akins.

Thank you, got that one. Amazingly my biggest source of duplicates and missing vins is from that website. Almost nobody posted their vin lol

broncorick

Heck I have VIN and frames and bodies for 5 '66 U13. I have 2.5% of existing roadsters from 66 --sweet . :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
So they're saying there were only 200 broncos made from August to October? While I agree the eyebrows seem to disappear towards late November, forward facing rear shocks and the "missing Ford rectangle" below the driver seat continued on way into the production year.

believe, I read that as welll

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

well that might be corn fusing haha

66BlueGoose

Contributor
Heck I have VIN and frames and bodies for 5 '66 U13. I have 2.5% of existing roadsters from 66 --sweet . :)

Well I have one, so with yours that's 6 of the 200 accounted for.....

One question, did the u13 bud have a drip rail running horizontal where the drivers floor pan met the bottom of the firewall?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I have a 66 U 14. October build.

Eyebrow grill.

For some reason I did not think mine was a Buddy body.

I would love to see all the Budd differences.

I have the short shifter, and I thought the Budds had the long shifter.
I heard the hood prop and radiator support is different.

Maybe there are only 200 roadsters left, but add in the wagons and 1/2 cabs you have to have a lot more.

If anyone can spend the time on this I would love to learn more Bronco history.
If anyone wants to PM me with Budd info that would be great.
If any of the real early guys wants to start a thread for Budd info that would be great.
Good luck

skinner

Contributor
66bluegoose my 66 Budd U13 had no drip rail, August 65 build. My October 65 U14 has the drop rail...

Jedhead

K7. That's a great ad. Would love to have that in poster form! BTW. 66 u14 August 65 build