• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel line connections

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Getting ready to run my fuel lines. I have a 97 Ford Explorer engine. Where should I be making my connections at the engine? Should I delete the stock lines coming off the fuel rail? What size fuel lines should I run for supply and return? I’m using a Sherman EFI fuel tank as shown in the photo. Thanks

Attachments

• 34C3EC03-4913-4238-A8F6-8D37657B24E0.jpg
    34C3EC03-4913-4238-A8F6-8D37657B24E0.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 2AB5F8E7-E18F-409F-B216-EA5E545426BC.jpg
    2AB5F8E7-E18F-409F-B216-EA5E545426BC.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 124

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure, but I sure like that wheel in the background!
What is it?

But back to your question, you can run 5/16" in both directions, or the more typical 3/8" feed line and 5/16" return.
But 5/16 is enough to feed a normal Explorer engine. If you're building a more high performance version, or plan to in the future, then running 3/8" now might save you some trouble in the future.

I won't specify the "best" way to run them at the engine, because it's been done different ways successfully. I'm sure different folks know and can offer part numbers of fittings and such.
Personally though, I think the stock lines with the braided flex line are very good and have a long life expectancy, as long you can adapt them at the other end to your fuel supply system.
It might be easier to adapt your own hose with the proper quick-connect fittings to go to the fuel rail directly.

Mine has partially utilized the factory stuff I believe, but I did not plumb it, so would have to peek back there to remind myself of what Doug did. With any luck he'll chime in with his preferred method anyway, since he's done at least three or four of these now.

Oh, and by way of a PS, is that line on the left bent up and damaged? Or is that just the way it looks? Kind'a looks kinked from here.
If it has been compromised, that might make your decision for you.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks for the response. I just want to do it the cleanest and most simple way with the fewest connections. The wheel in the background is a Raceline Defender. I run them on my Raptor. I have a set of Trailready wheels for the Bronco. They’ve been sitting in boxes for years :(

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i used the push lock connectors and efi fuel line. Including filter connections, i have four for the whole run. I am running returnless in tank pump.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i used the push lock connectors and efi fuel line. Including filter connections, i have four for the whole run. I am running returnless in tank pump.

Can you tell me more about the return less fuel pump you have and how it works.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you tell me more about the return less fuel pump you have and how it works.

I am using an aerotank for the stock explorer pump assembly. I forget what year the return less came out. It returns at the pump. Efi Guy can give you more detail.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is from Garry
They are not a true returnless system. They had a pressure regulator mounted in the tank just above the fuel pump that purged the excess pressure inside the tank.
Some people adapt the entire pump/regulator assembly from the Explorer to their tank.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
96 - 98 had EFI with a supply/return line and 19 lbs injectors with 35-40 fuel psi

99 - 01 had EFI with a single line and 17 lbs injectors with 60 fuel psi. Higher psi made the 17 lbs run like 19 lbs.
Fuel pump assembly had a regulator in tank which controlled fuel pressure.

Generally, you cannot mix and match fuel parts from the early and late...

On Dirtdonk's 98 motor, he has a return line. I also did not use the fuel rail extensions, thinking it would be cleaner. Maybe it is, but it is very busy at the back of the engine and firewall. Hard to get to things once everything is installed. I prefer using the extensions now, easy to get to on the drivers fender.
Best way, well there are many ways to do this... And varying costs associated with what you use. Some tips: Minimize connections, if you have them, make sure you can get to them when the body is on, use Gates EFI rated fuel hose that is lined to protect against our fuel mixes or other like hose. Use EFI hose clamps only. I tend to bend up my own steel lines 5/16" and 3/8", there are 5 and 6 ft lengths available, but you have to ask to have them ordered. Inverted flare adapters to An fittings and minimal use of fuel hose to begin with.

Last edited: