• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Air Conditioning story...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Too much work man, hire that out.. send it to bB

So I’ve now got a short somewhere when I push the radio into the hole with the dash panel fastened into place. I get it all in place and looking right and then the radio quits. I’ve found that the radio case has 12v on it after it quits. So I’m calming my nerves for a bit and then we’ll try to find the culprit.

Here’s a couple more pics.

377220f220983dd22c22aa6e8e301c78.jpg

7d28ef0de171f0fbd142844fed80211a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Too much work man, hire that out.. send it to bB

BB would when they see my wiring. Plus the defrost ducts are taking up a BUNCH of room I thought I’d have for the radio. I’m glad this one is a short case. Any deeper and it wouldn’t fit flush on the dash.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I know the anxiety is killing y’all. I fount my short. I think it’s supposed to be there. The ground wire for the radio was bouncing around loose. Of course I find this after pulling the entire harness, ..., and kitchen sink out of it.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
yeah... wiring starts off pretty and then every time I go in and modify something it gets worse and worse. Looks good.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A/C performance wise, what's the adavantage of installing the VA Gen IV vs the Vintage Air/BC Broncos system?

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A/C performance wise, what's the adavantage of installing the VA Gen IV vs the Vintage Air/BC Broncos system?

I can’t answer that. I’ve never done the BCB system and with my engine compartment being so custom, I’m not even using a full VA system. Just the evaporator and controls.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had both systems on my floor, both looked fine, either would work like the other, just differences in how they bolted up. I'd say BC is more Bronco refined even though its from VA.

I was going to mix and match from both but determined I'm going AC less to say the hassle. I'm in AZ and consensus here is, unless you want a cold knee, they really don't do much when it's 115 degrees. Since I'm moving into mountains, no AC needed. I hope.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I finally got everything g wired the way I want it. Gases it up, and it works. Kinda. Biggest issue is that the condensation doesn’t drain from the drain tube. It blows out of the joint between the main box and the ducts. I rounded a corner and it DUMPED water in the floorboard. Otherwise it just drips in the floor going down the road and sitting still.

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

ef02143f5add9942a72a3d981169c329.jpg

7596ad2461d21f8d8df7ff6c8b60d377.jpg

bd7871007f8ef96bbd0b42a598dd2ad2.jpg

And some video footage here. https://youtu.be/EQUipeJuRn8

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had that happen with my old dealer installed ARA A/C like yours. Your condensate pan could be overfilling because of plugged drain lines.
Also, I have had one of the drain hose nipples crack. I was able to repair it with JB Weld and black paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I checked the drain already. The hose is open. However, I just realized that I need to check the fitting the hose attaches to.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm wondering in the drain line should be blowing air out since the blower would pressurize the inside of the box around the evaporator?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yes, a bit of positive pressure will help.
Another thing I've found that helps is to run the hose long enough to clear anything that can cause a pressure area during highway travel. Mine hang clear down past the frame.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been emailing Justin at VA and he sent some pics that helped me see that the two screws up behind the glovebox are probably a little too high which means the drain at the rear of the box is too high. I'll adjust that and report back this weekend.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I blew into the drain line. It’s plugged. Pulled the line off to make sure it was clear. Yes it is. Thinking about what to do next, I spot a zip tie laying in the floor, so I tried to run it into the L. Without the feeling of pushing against anything, I immediately get a bunch of water. So after letting it run for several minutes, it appears my problem is fixed. This makes me happy happy happy.

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
So that’s it, now it works great? Good for you, great work! I have learned a lot from you. You even gave me some good pointers on narrowing my rear end. Seems you can do almost anything.