• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

460 SBF stroker-stuff it in a hurry "mini-build" thread

68ford

Bronco Guru
Granted, I probably made a dozen sand dune hill climbs in 20 minutes that were full power since I was data logging but REALLY? Don't Trophy Trucks and Ultra 4 vehicles ever climb more than one hill in a row??

TT pinion is submerged in oil down low, where yours is relying on the oil climbing up to all the pinion bearings right? TT also almost never loose bearings, they literally eat ring and pinions, then if driven long enough the contaminated oil takes out the bearings is what I have been told.

79INA69

Bad, but not catastrophic. New set of bearings, gears and modified to use a rear circulation pump that goes directly to the pinion bearings. Still probably sets you back $1500, and you will still be worried about the pump working, the fluid level and going uphill. None of these are good. You told me you ran your set up LP for a while without problems, aside from shaft angle. That video IS INSANE! I would never stand so close to a truck blasting by.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
^^^^^^ Exactly. same issues with U4.

as to the oiling issue, I just didn't think of it earlier.... I've had great success with Shaffer's (and I'm an avid Amsoil guy) 250w synthetic gear lube. even though your not racing you do push to those kinds of loads with the HP, gearing, tire size and distance. Went to that in the U4 and stopped eating bearings and R&P's. prior to that we were even killing low pinions. We had broken a few pinion shafts prior to that but could never figure out if it was the chicken or the egg, everything else was trashed too. After changing oil we killed one and figured out it was neither, just another egg in the nest that was breaking. Went to 35 spline pinion and ran several seasons until we sold the car with nothing more than annual inspection.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Well, on the pic where you can see the seal getting oushed out towards the pinion...those Timken brgs are BLUE...obviously lack of lube....

What I'm saying is this R&P is 18 mo old... :(

I know GW with their 10" r&p has a different oiling system...

I am done with TruHi 9. This R&P lasted less than 18 months of use... are ya kidding me!!! :(

My luck if I tried another 9 or 10" HP would be to twist another 9" ARB in half...that's the other weak link for either any 9" or 10" selectable...guys running 40 spline spools dont have that question mark hanging over their heads EVERY time they hit the skinny pedal.

Not paying $2,000 for the race ARB and then blow another entire rear... grrrr...

I can't run an external oiling system as I'll rip it off when snow wheeling...we've ripped fuel pumps off of frame rails with 2+" thick chunks of ice breaking under the tires then sliding along under the chassis or body and taking with it whatever it wants! lol

Yeah, it's all good fun but it's hard to build a "do everything" rig...that can do most things well...

here's a pic of my little HP removal jig...

Last edited:

79INA69

Another added bonus of the 14b when snow wheelin is you'll plow a center rut making it much easier for people that follow after you! If I was you I would go back to LP 9" and limit strap your droop for rear shaft angle, then start building your new axle of choice. Sell the HI9 case. This is the cheapest option to get back together, as long as you have room to tilt the DS angle up and make the link geo work.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I appreciate all your ideas...the 14 bolt hangs low...take 2" off and its not so low anymore...

I hear ya... :)

Thought of temporary gears with a LP 9"...get me on the road...but I'm driving it everyday in FWD right now. :)

Making a cover to fill the big hole in the housing so it won't fill up with gravel and road debri!

I'd have to buy 5.13 gears to run it maybe a few months...

I know...I keep running all these possibilites thru my head a couple times/day these past 2 weeks...

:)

79INA69

HAHA! That's rad! Driving around with no rear third! Your crazier than I thought. Good to hear I'm not the only one constantly cycling different build options in my head before one is even finished.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah...sounds like we need to go wheeling!! :)

My Hot Rod buddies showed up yesterday to admire my carnage...they buy parts and bolt them in as we all design, build, weld them in, break them and do it all again! They're always marveling at how a SBF can grenade ARB lockers 31 spline chr alloy axles, drivelines etc...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
My Hot Rod buddies showed up yesterday to admire my carnage...they buy parts and bolt them in as we all design, build, weld them in, break them and do it all again! They're always marveling at how a SBF can grenade ARB lockers 31 spline chr alloy axles, drivelines etc...

LOL yes they really don't get it. they have no concept of what gearing and a 40" tire with 8 square feet of contact patch, all on one corner under load can accomplish, they do good to get 12 square inches of contact patch, they only have so much traction available.

I had a grenaded 35 spline 300m double spline shaft on the wall for a long time that we cork screwed with 3.8l V6. show that to them and they freak especially when they see the tiny car it came out of. Now it is supercharged.... but still only makes 350hp, but looks like you could tuck it under your arm and carry it off, its just cute sitting on an engine stand.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
That's some torque to pretzel a 300M !! ;)

Here's the 3rd toasted pinion brg...closest to the yoke..Checkbout the end of the pinion also...

This wasnt a long trip...short hops from the campground to the dunes and back...

Attachments

• 20190904_195108.jpg
    20190904_195108.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190904_195418.jpg
    20190904_195418.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Your pretty good at killing parts too:p

It really sucks.....

I still have nightmares about my D44 days, broke it every trip, last trip after installing all the best parts of the day (and spending more than I spent building the replacement D60) 30 minutes later, all 4 axles, locker and Ring & Pinion. We could be brothers....LOL

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Impressive, Brian. You have me worrying about what's to come for my drivetrain.

Apropos of nothing, I approve of your creeper ;D

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Hahaha...I need to view the desert scenery with ya...those that only read about our carnage must think "I'm one of 'those guys'"...but I'm so careful off road...but I do have an ever-growing display of carnage...but like Lars...Ive been doing this Bronco thing for 5 decades now!! lol. Not including breaking Monroe Load Levelers in my Dad's '69 on his brand new one... oops. :)

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Lol yes we sound like a bunch of throttle head, Neanderthal, gear head, junkies. When it’s just not the case we just do what we love, do it a lot and that takes its toll over time.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well...time for me to start a build thread showing step by step 14 bolt build... makes me document my parts, steps, measurements so I can put them on my paper build sheet (that changes every year or two)!! I carry a copy of the paper build sheet in my Bronco at all times..helps if I need a part on a trip...

Last edited:

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Well...time for me to start a build thread showing step by step 14 bolt build... makes me document my parts, steps, measurements so I can put them on my paper build sheet (that changes every year or two)!! I carry a copy of the paper build sheet in my Bronco at all times..helps if I need a part on a trip. I can't remember what the lower half of my lower rad hose is!! Or which sensor from what year I'm running... ;)

Use Google Sheets and Docs so the info is always available on your phone :cool: I might know someone that does that ;D

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I would welcome your help Mr. Spreadsheet! :)

Show me how Jaromy as you know I lost my complete 418/KluneV/Atlas build thread and the 205 build on a different Bronco site... :(

I'll call ya this weekend... thx!!! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Anybody exclusively use Ford motorcraft oil filters? Empty they must weigh almost 2 and a 1/2 times more than a wicks of the same dimensions.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
That is the filter that I use. Have not cut one apart for some time but they were always good quality.