• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dumb tilt question about column tilt.

helpme

I'm brand new to the EB world. I possibly made a bad trade for a tilt column and for the life of me cannot figure out how to make it tilt. The internals are tilt, in fact it is tilted, but see no way tilt it back. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it a factory column of some kind, or is it aftermarket made to fit the EB? And it's already in a Bronco, or still loose?
Most aftermarket columns will use the turn signal stalk or a separate short lever near the turn signal lever.
You can see some on our site here: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Ididit_Columns

If it has two holes on the left side then there is probably meant to be the separate lever.
If there is only the one hole however, you probably push/pull the turn signal lever.
Very carefully however!

You can play with the lever gently to see if it moves forward and backwards, vs the typical up-and-down of the turn signal function. If it looks like it will move, give it a try.
If the hole where it enters the column is larger than it needs to be for just up and down movement, or if it is a little cross-shaped, then this is probably the way.

Maybe the best way is to post up a picture of it. That way if it's something a little different someone will probably know about it.
You can use your "garage" or "gallery" function in the User CP to post a few images, or use an online image hosting site like SuperMotors or whatever.
If you are going to end up posting up more and more pics to the forums (we love pics here!) then you can become a contributor for 12 bucks a year and that lets you post directly from your device.

Good luck.
And welcome to classicbroncos.com too!

Paul

OP
OP
H

helpme

Hi Paul, This is really helpful. I've got the column out and tore it down to replace all the bearings, but really just the lower one was bad. I bought it thinking it was an EB tilt. The lower bearing matches the images of EB bearings compared to Full Size Bronco bearings. But, the steering wheel is from a full size for sure because it has wood grain on it? Yes my blinker switch moves back and forth. I thought that might be high bean flash. :) I'm heading back out with this new info. I'll be signing up to be able to post picts. I've been hanging around for a month, that's how long I've had this "project" It's a rock crawler that I want to convert it back to street legal so first order of business is getting rid of the full hydro steering.

OP
OP
H

helpme

It works perfectly, once I strapped the bottom down and put the steering wheel on for leverage. Now on to mounting the 4X4X2 box. I believe that is well documented here. Thanks for your help!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great! Glad it worked. Would have been very embarrassed if you'd come back saying you had a nice turn signal lever broken off in your hand!

There were Broncos ('74 to '77) that had the same design steering wheel as many other Fords, with some variations in some cases, and there are some horn buttons with wood grain: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Horn_Bar_74-77yr-Walnut/Bronco_Steering_Wheels
I can't say for a fact that they were optional or standard equipment on those year Broncos (pretty sure not standard though) but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them now and then.

But since I don't remember specific new ones with them, it's always possible that they were swapped over from other models, or whatever. Or they could have been optional with the Ranger package possibly.
Someone here will likely know if they were available on Broncos.

Does yours look like the one in the pic?
But the bottom line is that a tilt-column was never an option on EB's so if the column came from a pickup or full-size Bronco, the wheel probably did too in your case.
I'm not sure that the wheel hubs and column bells were the same size as the Bronco version. Always thought they were different.

The "flash-to-pass" and high/low function came several years later to the trucks.
Probably by the late-'80's maybe?

Paul

OP
OP
H

helpme

Oh man, that is it for sure, but it has cruise controls in the walnut section, so probably from a full size? Anyway, does not matter now that I can tilt.

Thanks for the help and the warm welcome.

PS. I changed my user name from helpme to rockyroadster. I'm a pitiful newbe, but no need to have a pitiful name. ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh man, that is it for sure, but it has cruise controls in the walnut section, so probably from a full size?

Yep, full size for sure. Maybe a passenger car too, but not sure.

PS. I changed my user name from helpme to rockyroadster. I'm a pitiful newbe, but no need to have a pitiful name. ;D

Hah! Sounds good. Good username and better to change it now than later.

Paul

OP
OP
H

helpme

Well it kind a fits. Bronco was a crawler and now converting back to street legal roadster. :)

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
4x4x2 info link http://www.wcb4x4.com/tech/tech.shtml

Manual excerpt about tilt wheel full size rigs..78 Bronco steerign wheel w/tilt parts diagram, and many a way to wire a 78/79 ts switch in to a 66-77 ts switch. And some diagrams for ya on the newer stuff.

Attachments

• tilt.jpg
    tilt.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 6
  • steering 10 with tilt.jpg
    steering 10 with tilt.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ts01.jpg
    ts01.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 7
  • tsa.jpg
    tsa.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 6
  • tsb.jpg
    tsb.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 6

rockyroadster

Oh man, thank you so much. I haven't gotten to this point yet, but miles ahead now.

Speaking of which, where do y'all find the factory part names and numbers on mechanical drawings for your year of EB?