• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yeller's Broncno Build: New Adventures!

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Ok looks like i failed picture posting...

here's the front. Those that are really looking will notice I had this set up for a 4 link, which is how it was on the doner truck, this one is significantly lighter and I did not like the 4 link so I pulled the control arm out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg10.jpg
    image.jpeg10.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpeg12.jpg
    image.jpeg12.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpeg14.jpg
    image.jpeg14.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpeg15.jpg
    image.jpeg15.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpeg18.jpg
    image.jpeg18.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 217
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
And here's the rear. Unfortunately I have no idea what the springs are out of, they were something that I had sitting on the "spring" shelf in the shop

Attachments

• image.jpeg17.jpg
    image.jpeg17.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpeg16.jpg
    image.jpeg16.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg13.jpg
    image.jpeg13.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpeg11.jpg
    image.jpeg11.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I got asked what the "horizontal brackets on top of the middle of frame" were in pic Picture006jpg from page 1 post 2 and was asked to answer here.

Those are the seat mounts. I wanted chassis mounted seats and belts but did not want to have the structure inside, so its underneath the floor and the seats bolth through the body

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
its a factory truck pan. The sump is really deep and the cast aluminum pan is structurally strong but fragile if getting impacted, doesn't take much to make a big hole, so its protected really well and has no lips on the skid to hold debris that could cause trouble. If i had the funds I'd be running Pacific Fabrications sheetmetal LSX pan.
http://pacificfabrication.com/lsx-sheetmetal-oil-pans.html

Their pan is the bomb and what we run on the KOH racer. It has trap door baffles and its own skid plate. Its also much shorter sump, so its easier to package. Way better design and craftsmanship than the Kevco Leak-O-Matic that I've used in the past. I also believe it maintains the structrual integrity the factory pan adds to the block.

eb-nutt1

Looking at the pics of the front it appears your running a parallel 4-link type with the drivers side top bar removed? Basically looks like the setup on a late 90's dodge trk?
Sorry to say but your pics are not the best for stealing ideas!!

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yes sort of yes it has a lot more anti dive dialed in so when you mash the brakes on the street it doesn't nose dive real bad and when going up obstacles when the front gets traction it loads the suspension and keeps the suspension from unloading creating more traction. The upper is also shorter than the lower to move the pinion down so the driveshaft clears the starter and motor mount. That same motion also adds caster angle as the suspension compresses so if I'm dessert running and come down hard it wants to track straight better. At ride height the caster angle is 10 degrees. At full compression is 15 and full drop is back at 15 as well. I know that's not considered optimal but it drives and works better than my expectations.

Sorry for the poor pics. Like I said before it's was all painted black to be low profile and the draw back is it doesn't photograph well.

I do have it packed up for a 600 mile road trip this weekend it is a genuine joy to drive with no odd handling or strange behavior it drives as well as a modern truck.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Awesome! Have a great trip... I'm just doing a 150 mile or so trip in mine. Then coming down to Tulsa on Sun. for the Shelby show.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Well survived the 550 mile trip and had a blast. The bronco was rock solid and returned 14 MPG.

With Caleb (he's 10 Jake's youngest) as my top dog spotter we finished in 1st place in our class at Crawlfest. Best part was driving there taking the bragging rights and continuing the adventure for another 350 miles on the way home.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Awesome! All of mine was interstate driving... Fast lane about 75-80 or so! I'm sure I didn't get the 14 that I get with my local driving. 2800 rpms are hard on mileage! It's fun having a versatile rig!

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Have an update. Finally sold enough seats to fund a set for me:)

PRP daily drivers with HEAT:D Although, I don't think I'll truly appreiciate the heat for a few more months....LOL I've spent enough time in them to be able to tell you that they were worth the wait. I think they are more comfortable than the Mastercraft Rubicon's in my buggy.

Attachments

• photo30.jpg
    photo30.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 198
  • photo23.jpg
    photo23.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 207
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thanks! I just need to get enough time to get it in the shop to put a belt bar in for the shoulder harnesses. I also put in new PRP 5.3x2 harnesses. Huge improvement in comfort over the Simpson's that were in it, the buckles don't poke and prod at you.

And here's a pic of the passenger side.

Attachments

• photo 33.jpg
    photo 33.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 160