• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally going Hydroboost

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I go to the junkyards every couple of months here in the Orlando area, and i always have my eye out for certain things like '79 to '85 Eldorados for the springs and brackets to run the emergency brake on BC rear disc. These brackets and springs don't come on the parts store calipers. BC has these calipers but they are like $300 bucks. I haven't see a '79 to '85 Eldorado in awhile whether on the road or at the junkyard.

But Sunday I found something else I am always looking for, '94 and up Astrovan for the hydrobooster.
I know you can use an earlier one but I seem to remember something good about the later ones.

Always lots of Astrovans but they are always stripped by the time I get to them. It has been a casual pursuit but I finally got one.

And so it begins,

I have the little square plate that will allow me to rotate the booster 180 degrees.

I have to decide which mounting bracket to use.

I like that one that pushes the booster over by the fender.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/324320...d=link&campid=5335857059&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Which bracket do y'all like?

Attachments

• 20201005_122958.jpg
    20201005_122958.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
You are going to love hydroboost! :)
Made my own flat bracket that moved the unit toward the fender. Moved the pedal over to where the clutch pedal would normally go. I never do it the easy way...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You can get the e-brake spring kits for the caddy calipers at the caddy dealer. It's been like 15 years but they were all new for like $30. Dont remember if that was one set or both sides. I think there were 3pieces bracket, spring and maybe a new nut.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You can get the e-brake spring kits for the caddy calipers at the caddy dealer. It's been like 15 years but they were all new for like $30. Dont remember if that was one set or both sides. I think there were 3pieces bracket, spring and maybe a new nut.

Cali Steve for the win.

Thank you Hoss

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
You can mount the hydroboost directly to the factory early bronco power brake angled bracket. There is a guy on eBay that sells a nice adapter kit to replace a few parts on the angled bracket. If your interested I can try to find a link to it.

Spaggyroe

You are going to love hydroboost! :)
Made my own flat bracket that moved the unit toward the fender. Moved the pedal over to where the clutch pedal would normally go. I never do it the easy way...

I did something similar but left my brake pedal in the stock location. At the top of my brake pedal is a bell-crank that moves the master cylinder push rod over to the drivers side.

Spaggyroe

Also, I opted to go with a super duty hydroboost unit. There are a lot more available in the yards now than astrovans.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You can mount the hydroboost directly to the factory early bronco power brake angled bracket. There is a guy on eBay that sells a nice adapter kit to replace a few parts on the angled bracket. If your interested I can try to find a link to it.

I saw it on ebay earlier, thank you.
It would have a stock look to it wouldn't it(?).

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Also, I opted to go with a super duty hydroboost unit. There are a lot more available in the yards now than astrovans.

that is very true....saw quite a few Super Duty trucks there at the junkyard...

My Astrovan hydroboost info is probably 10+ years old.

I was ready to do this many years ago but my manual 4 wheel disc work sooo good I put it off. But I am ready to start gathering parts for this next step in killer braking.

Last edited:

papy

i know this has been asked a million trims however since we are on the topic i am trying to decide what brake system to go with. thinking hydro boost route just wonder what everyone is favoring of and why? i know that some astro have and angled bracket not sure if this is a benefit? Also i am running with explore 5.0 so the upper intake is a concern on fitment

mustang hydro what year range and why
astro hydro angle or non angled bracket and what year range and why
super duty what year range and why?

also since the SD and mustang are ford will the fitting be the same with the stock bronco power steering and explorer pump?

i am assuming the astro would have different size fittings?

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
i know this has been asked a million trims however since we are on the topic i am trying to decide what brake system to go with. thinking hydro boost route just wonder what everyone is favoring of and why? i know that some astro have and angled bracket not sure if this is a benefit? Also i am running with explore 5.0 so the upper intake is a concern on fitment

mustang hydro what year range and why
astro hydro angle or non angled bracket and what year range and why
super duty what year range and why?

also since the SD and mustang are ford will the fitting be the same with the stock bronco power steering and explorer pump?

i am assuming the astro would have different size fittings?

You will be building hoses no matter which booster you go with.

The different mounting methods are personal preference and what works for you.
For example, if you want access to that drivers side valve cover you will want one of those brackets. If access to that valve cover isn't important then mounting directly to the firewall may be perfect for you.
I think i want the off set bracket that puts the booster over the drivers inner fender well.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/324320...d=link&campid=5335857059&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

catfan

Contributor
Keep in mind that you can change the mounting plate on the h-boost units so
don't turn down the Astro unit with the angle bracket.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I need to start putting together a part list.

I know I need a few feet of Aeroquip high pressure line and -6AN stainless steel fittings.

I am running Explorer Serp so I need that fitting that Lee used to sell to convert the Explorer pump to an AN fitting.
Does anybody have a link to that fitting somewhere since Lee is out of business?

I remember somebody found the right one somewhere else.

67 Halfcab

I need to start putting together a part list.

I know I need a few feet of Aeroquip high pressure line and -6AN stainless steel fittings.

I am running Explorer Serp so I need that fitting that Lee used to sell to convert the Explorer pump to an AN fitting.
Does anybody have a link to that fitting somewhere since Lee is out of business?

I remember somebody found the right one somewhere else.

https://leepowersteering.com/collec...-with-seat-ford-pumps-racks-pinions-16mm-to-6

I had one delivered last week.

I also bought Earl's power steering hose and fittings. https://www.holley.com/brands/earls/products/plumbing_an_fittings_and_hose/power_steering/

papy

You will be building hoses no matter which booster you go with.

The different mounting methods are personal preference and what works for you.
For example, if you want access to that drivers side valve cover you will want one of those brackets. If access to that valve cover isn't important then mounting directly to the firewall may be perfect for you.
I think i want the off set bracket that puts the booster over the drivers inner fender well.

hmmmm never thought about the valve cover access. last thing i need is to drain and take apart the brake system to get to a valve cover...

i see lots of vendors on ebay specifically for the 96-04 mustang HB and the astro HB. anyone know if the Super duty HB will work with either brackets?

JP

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
hmmmm never thought about the valve cover access. last thing i need is to drain and take apart the brake system to get to a valve cover...

i see lots of vendors on ebay specifically for the 96-04 mustang HB and the astro HB. anyone know if the Super duty HB will work with either brackets?

JP

That bracket I posted the ebay link for has an optional bracket they make to accommodate the super duty unit and the mustang unit. They are diffetent part numbers so I guess those two are not the same bolt pattern or something.

papy

That bracket I posted the ebay link for has an optional bracket they make to accommodate the super duty unit and the mustang unit. They are diffetent part numbers so I guess those two are not the same bolt pattern or something.

for some reason that link is not working for me. i even tried to copy/paste the link and the listing ID numbers separately.

JP