• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1968 Rummage sale find

ncp546

Hello everyone. My name is Nick. recently I have purchased a 1968 Bronco Wagon at a rummage sale. It has 25,000 Original miles. I am still very new to the whole bronco scene but i was hoping to get some insight. My Bronco has no rear seat, bench seat, radio, came with a plow and the straight 6 motor. The original jack is still in the wheel well. I purchased it from the original owner, they purchased it to use on their property until the father had passed away. During the rummage sale they had two of his vehicles for sale along with everything in his house out in the garage. Im hoping to learn a bit more about this bronco. I work on DeLorean cars and unlike the delorean the amount of room in the front is quite cool! It has the inline 6 engine and carter carb. I have the bronco running and cooling currently and now i am woking on the brakes. How can i tell what front and rear end axles i have? My drums measure 10" in the back, i havent measured the fronts just because i am not sure how to get the hubs off? I believe i need a 4 prong socket but not sure of the size. I am reading that there is front and rears sizes like Dana 30, 44 and 60. How can i tell what i have? I appreciate everyone's insight! Thank you so much!

OP
OP
N

ncp546

N22OnD0

3nsxLTA

Last edited:

House

Minutia Militia
It should have came with a Dana 30 front and a Ford 9” rear.
Welcome to CB Nick, congrats, can’t wait to see some pics!
Include the tag in the glovebox door and we can tell you more...!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If still stock (sounds like it is) a 68 will have a Dana 30 up front and Ford 9 inch in the rear (likely small bearing). Probably 4.10 gears or possibly 4.56's. It will have a "T-shift" Dana 20 transfer case. What is the first of the VIN? U13, U14 or U15? Bench seat and no rear seat make me think it might be a U14 half cab? What top is on it now?

OP
OP
N

ncp546

Thank you all! i can check the vin tomorrow. Its a wagon but no rear seat mounting holes. Pretty sure it is as base model as it gets. It has the T handle for the transfer and 3 on the tree. I appreciate the input on the drums and front end!

OP
OP
N

ncp546

Also, can anyone tell me the size of the 4 prong socket i need to get the locking hubs off? Thanks so much

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Also, can anyone tell me the size of the 4 prong socket i need to get the locking hubs off? Thanks so much

I only ever see two kinds at the parts stores anymore.
The multi socket thing that seems to fit 30's, 44's, 60's, and 'Yota axles. But its wobbly. The other one on the shelf at my Pep Boys is shaped like a regular socket with the 4 tabs and it fits my 44.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Cool find, looking forward to pics! Does it have a bulkhead behind the bench seat?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thank you all! i can check the vin tomorrow. Its a wagon but no rear seat mounting holes. Pretty sure it is as base model as it gets. It has the T handle for the transfer and 3 on the tree. I appreciate the input on the drums and front end!

Could be a Roadster (U13) with top and doors ordered. Nice find regardless of model.

OP
OP
N

ncp546

You guys rock. I wish I knew why the picture upload is not working. The bronco is in great shape. It definitely has its fair share of rust but I’m happy with it. I’ll be sure to check the codes tomorrow and let you all know!

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Welcome and congrats on your Bronco.

Much easier to post pictures if you pay the $12 for the year to be a contributor. Someone more talented than me will post a link. With that said even I can post pictures. Yep, that easy.

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more. .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Nick, welcome from here too! What a cool find. Especially if it's really only got 25k miles. Which many are stated to have, but yours sounds pretty legit indeed from your description.

Agree that the 12bucks is 12bucks well spent, but in the meantime you can also use your Garage and Gallery functions in your User CP above to upload images to a file here on the forum. But to post them directly to this discussion you either need to use another image hosting site and link to the pictures there, or become a contributor here and upload them directly from your device to the discussion.
There is a "sticky note" at the top of the page in the Chat section to give you the full rundown.

Sorry I can never remember the actual size of the spanner socket (hub-nut socket) because when I bought mine it was the only one on the store shelf at the time. Little did I know back then just how many different sizes there were!
Even though I sell them as you can see from justino's link (thanks Justin!) and the fact that I was using one recently with the size printed right on it, I still never remember the dang size!

Aside from this particular socket, and a volt-ohm meter, and a few other indispensable tools for Bronco owners, there is a very specific bearing adjustment procedure when you go to put things back together. So when you get to that point, let us know and we can walk you through it.
While it's got some familiar steps for anyone that's adjusted a wheel bearing, the mix of steps is slightly different. The results however are identical to most adjustable tapered roller bearing sets. The desired final result is a free-play of .001" to .010" with something in the middle being optimal.

Here is some more information and parts availability for your "Ford 9-inch" rear end: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/bronco_rear_axle with some images and descriptions to help you identify what you have. But as someone said, you probably have the "small bearing" rear end based on the 10" brakes instead of having 11" brakes.
The only way for most new owners to know is to visually verify each part. But in your case you likely still have all stock stuff on there. Which would be small-bearing, 28-spline axles. With the differential ratios someone mentioned (4.11 standard, 4.56 optional) and possibly even limited-slip differentials front and rear.
Even though the original owner went light on options, being that it was a work truck it would not be out of line for it to have the lower gearing and the limited-slips.

If you ever want to know more about how your rig was born, you can order a Marti Report (www.martiauto.com) and get everything from a quick printout to a framed original window sticker and options list. Pretty cool stuff!

Good luck on it all. And congratulations on a really nice find.

Paul

OP
OP
N

ncp546

Holy cow great info all around! That’s so much for the info on axles and codes! So my first vin reads U15FLC86688 below that reads

092 J U150 1 98 C 03

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Holy cow great info all around! That’s so much for the info on axles and codes! So my first vin reads U15FLC86688 below that reads

092 J U150 1 98 C 03

92" wheel base
J Rangoon Red
U150. 4300lb gvw
1 bench seat
98 full hard top
C manual 3sp transmission
03 4.11 gears, open

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

092 J U150 1 98 C 03

all kinds of great knowledge on this site.. :)