• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to haul a bronco that's missing it's rear axle

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the Cherry Picker in the rear. Load it front end first. The hardest part would be stabilizing the cherry pick during the loading. All that is with the assumption that the front end is rolling freely at the moment.

Next best would be the 4x4 lumber and a flat bed tow truck. they pull vehicle with no tires or axles up on those beds all the time.

1970 Palmer

I like the Cherry Picker in the rear. Load it front end first. The hardest part would be stabilizing the cherry pick during the loading. All that is with the assumption that the front end is rolling freely at the moment.

Next best would be the 4x4 lumber and a flat bed tow truck. they pull vehicle with no tires or axles up on those beds all the time.

We think alike, LOL.

As long as the front rolls, just back the trailer up to the front as close as possible. Connect your winch/come-a-long to the Bronco with a yoke type strap arrangement. You want to pull from the center, since you will not be able to steer it very well.

Using a cherry picker lift the weight of the rear of the Bronco only high enough to get it to clear the ground, or the rear of the trailer. Try to winch it on, and also back the trailer under the Bronco. I would use a nylon strap around the Bronco frame ends and up into a yoke so the cherry picker lifts the middle of the weight.

You would be surprised how much two or three sheets of Plywood helps slide something. A little dirt between the sheets works well as a lubricant. They might also be necessary for the cherry picker if the surface the Bronco is setting on is not a hard surface.

You want to take a bunch of ratchet straps with you for this job.

Getting it off the trailer should not be hard. Just use the cherry picker to lift the rear weight, and slowly pull the trailer out until the front wheels are at the end of the trailer. Set the Bronco down on a floor jack, and let the winch out so the front will roll down the ramps.
I'm a vintage trailer guy, and this is how we retrieve old trailer sunk into the ground.