• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel tank replacement question

Jiujitsu Bronco

Greetings, this is my first time on here. I recently purchased a 1974 Bronco Ranger and am considering switching out my 2 tanks for a 23 gallon stainless steel tank. Was hoping to get some input on if this is a good idea or should I leave it as is with the 2 tanks. Any advice will be appreciated

Rangerbj

Unless you are having problems with the old system or you plan on long drives where no gas stations are, why fix something if it's not broke? Just a thought

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Jiujitsu, welcome to classicbroncos!

That's not a bad way to look at it especially if you have other things to fix first, to get it running reliably.
But if fixing your tanks is on that list, then the single larger tank is usually more gas than both the others combined, and gets you all new clean stuff as well.

Even though my preference is to run both the new larger rear main tank and the old aux tank together, I'm pretty sure that most people do get rid of the second tank in favor of just one big one. It seems to be the majority of stories here on the forum.
I just happen to like having as much gas on board as possible.

One main reason for the single tank option I think is the proliferation of EFI setups and the difficulty of setting up the shallow front tank with an in-tank EFI pump. The new rear tanks are dialed in for that pretty well, but nobody makes an aux tank pre-made for an in-tank pump.
If you're running an external pump then this is not an issue. But more and more are opting for in-tank models. I'm sure there are kits now that might be used to retrofit an aux tank, but I don't remember hearing of any installs.

The most common setup for those that do retain their front tanks, is to run a separate external low pressure transfer pump to "self re-fill" the main tank when it gets low. Lots of those setups out there working just fine too.
So it just becomes a question of which way you prefer to roll. If nothing is wrong with your current setup, then retaining the old front tank to transfer from is a great way to gain another 7 or so gallons. If you just prefer the simplicity of one single tank and no additional plumbing, then the good news is that just the one 23 gallon tank is still more capacity than you had before.

Fun decision. Kind of the Bronco's stock in trade. Lots of decisions...

Paul

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
If they are both in great shape and in working order why not just replace the main tank and keep the aux tank for even more fuel capacity.

OP
OP
Jiujitsu Bronco

Jiujitsu Bronco

Great insight guys. I really like having 2 tanks and in a perfect world I would have the 23 gallon tank with a small reserve tank but I don’t know if that is possible. I purchased the holly sniper carburetor and need a EFI setup. Wildhorses told me the SS tank was the way to go.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Unless you've had two tanks, you wouldn't believe how handy it is.
I'm an original owner of a '77. By '80, both plastic tanks were leaking. I replaced both with Aero tanks. So, 40 years later, they are both working great. The gauges are still accurate too.
So, what's the point of a stainless tank? My 40 year old replacements are steel.?:?

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Great insight guys. I really like having 2 tanks and in a perfect world I would have the 23 gallon tank with a small reserve tank but I don’t know if that is possible. I purchased the holly sniper carburetor and need a EFI setup. Wildhorses told me the SS tank was the way to go.

All you have to do is get a cheap transfer pump and when you're getting low in the 23 gal tank flip the switch and transfer the fuel from the small tank to the 23 gal. I ran mine into a tee on the return line but it could be done on the filler tube also

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
All you have to do is get a cheap transfer pump and when you're getting low in the 23 gal tank flip the switch and transfer the fuel from the small tank to the 23 gal. I ran mine into a tee on the return line but it could be done on the filler tube also

I'd be concerned about the safety of fuel transfer like that.
In my family, any car is up for grabs. That's just the way we roll.
I'd be concerned that someone inadvertently turned on the pump to fill an already full tank. You would have fuel spilling out.
I would only agree if the transfer pump was disabled unless the engine was shut off. Just like at a gas station.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
In my family, any car is up for grabs. That's just the way we roll.
I'd be concerned that someone inadvertently turned on the pump to fill an already full tank. You would have fuel spilling out.
I would only agree if the transfer pump was disabled unless the engine was shut off. Just like at a gas station.

Maybe it can be wired only to be on in the acc position on the ignition. I am the only driver of my rig , I did run mine to come on when switched to aux but also ran it through the original Ford valve below the seat so the pump can't move fuel without moving that valve also.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If they are both in great shape and in working order why not just replace the main tank and keep the aux tank for even more fuel capacity.

like the rest said.. this

And Welcome Aboard

We like Pics :cool:

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Also you being a new owner the best thing right now as far as the two tanks go is to be educated on how to switch from one to the other properly. Under the seat as well as the dash.

So many people get this confused and run out of gas and gauge showing a full tank.

Not saying your not but just be mindful of it.

Bronco Maniac

I have not had one with two tanks. If you do get a 23 gallon tank, make sure you flush the CRAP out of it. Every time I would let it fill to the top with water, a lot of white crap would flush out.

MartyG

Bronco Guru
I JUST swapped in a 23gallon after 11 years. It's my daily driver and man, just so nice not to keep running to the gas station. I kept my aux tank as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hated being the only one with two tanks on trips, and still always the first one that needed to stop for gas!
Going from 18 to 30 was an amazing feeling of satisfaction!

Haven't you heard? That's now a standard condition for Ford pickups!:eek:%)
I don't know if Ford has finally changed the design, but in the EFI years (what, maybe '85 to at least '96 in that older body style truck?) when the FDM (fuel delivery module) in one tank would fail, the failure mode was that the return line would feed the opposite tank. I'm sure that made sense to someone, somewhere, in some committee...
So if you were not aware of this condition, driving the truck would end up with a big overflow situation.

I've still got a HUGE stain on my street where I used to park the '93. It was an unfortunate bit of critical intel that the PO just happened to leave out when I bought the truck.
You learn quickly about that stuff when the fuel just won't stop coming out of the gas cap.:(:-[

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I hated being the only one with two tanks on trips, and still always the first one that needed to stop for gas!
Going from 18 to 30 was an amazing feeling of satisfaction!

I heard that.. LOL

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Also you being a new owner the best thing right now as far as the two tanks go is to be educated on how to switch from one to the other properly. Under the seat as well as the dash.

So many people get this confused and run out of gas and gauge showing a full tank.

Not saying your not but just be mindful of it.

It can be cornfusing at first for sure, but should get the handle on it quickly

Braifab

Loc.
Fort Smith, Arkansas
I purchased the Wild Horses stainless 23 gal tank for EFI and love it. I've built this mounting "crate" for the tank which looks better than the normal mounting hardware and am very happy with the results....pre-paint that is.

Attachments

• tank frame1.jpg
    tank frame1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 27
  • tank frame3.jpg
    tank frame3.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 26
  • tank frame2.jpg
    tank frame2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 29

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I purchased the Wild Horses stainless 23 gal tank for EFI and love it. I've built this mounting "crate" for the tank which looks better than the normal mounting hardware and am very happy with the results....pre-paint that is.

Outstanding job you did there.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Outstanding... :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely. How much are you selling those for now?;);D

Paul