• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Choke stuck

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
I have a Holley street demon carb that I've only had for a few months. Today I noticed that it was running bad, it would die on me if I tried to climb any hill in 1st gear and overall seems to be running erratically. Is my choke stuck open and if so why does this happen and how do you fix this? I tried slightly unscrewing the three bolts on the electric choke to adjust it but it didn't seem to make it move at all.

https://youtu.be/Qe7wEYKS3jg

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, when the engine is warmed up the choke should be held wide open by spring pressure, and snap open when you try to close it.
The adjustment is for when the engine is cold, and richer will make the choke stay closed longer.
I don't think the choke is the problem.
So it was not making power in first gear.
Was it popping, just not revving up, or something else?
How does it drive now?
Running in the driveway is very different from driving under load.
It could be in the carb, maybe float level, stuck float, dirt, or weak fuel pump, or clogged filter.
Good luck

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
Hi, when the engine is warmed up the choke should be held wide open by spring pressure, and snap open when you try to close it.

The adjustment is for when the engine is cold, and richer will make the choke stay closed longer.

I don't think the choke is the problem.

So it was not making power in first gear.

Was it popping, just not revving up, or something else?

How does it drive now?

Running in the driveway is very different from driving under load.

It could be in the carb, maybe float level, stuck float, dirt, or weak fuel pump, or clogged filter.

Good luck

So it Boggs down like it’s starving for fuel. I cleaned the fuel filter and it seemed to help. What are people recommending for fuel filter between pump and tank? I currently o lot have one between pump and carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk