• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"730" on radiator support...meaning?

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On the '77 rolling frame I bought it has the number "730" on radiator support in front of battery area. I know from restoring a Mustang that Ford had many numbers written on front of support to aid line workers as to how to build the car. Then toward the end of the line someone would do a quick spray of paint over the info. Just wondering if we know what this number means?
Thanks,
Norm

HR1Nzj8.jpg

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From my experience working in a Ford assembly plant, I'd say it is more than likely the rotation number of the day or weeks build. Back in the 1970's we built F series pick-ups at the plant where I worked and at that time I was in a sub assembly section from 1973-79. In that section we had a man that picked the correct radiator support, there were five different supports for F series trucks then. From there he would put the rotation number on it and from there it was built, hood latch assembly, horns and wiring, A/C condensor, and the correct radiator. If memory serves me right I think at one time there were 63 different radiators that could be had in a Ford truck back then. That radiator support assembly was then taken to the main part of the plant where the complete front clip or doghouse minus the hood was built in jigs. Then this assembly was picked by one of four or five hoists and sent to the main chassis line and installed on the truck coming down the line.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, that's what I suspected. Little details like that intrigue me for some reason. I'm even thinking about getting a Marti Report for it, and its just a rolling frame! pretty sure I have a problem.;)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks guys, that's what I suspected. Little details like that intrigue me for some reason. I'm even thinking about getting a Marti Report for it, and its just a rolling frame! pretty sure I have a problem.;)

Why not right. :)