• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Product Release 11-23-18 DIY 2-1 Exhaust kit from James Duff

jduffent

Sponsor/Vendor
Introducing our new 2-1 DIY exhaust kit that will be available to the public 11-23-18

SHORTY HEADERS FOR THESE KITS HAD A 2-3 WEEK DELAY &
WILL NOT BE AVAILBLE TO SHIP TILL THE 1st-2nd WEEK OF DEC. We still encourage you to place your orders early. First orders in are first to ship and if you order our 2-1 exhaust with shorty headers we will ship the order complete.

Here is the link for 2-1 with shorties
https://www.dufftuff.com/2_1_exhaust_kit_early_bronco_302_5_0_v8_p/3060.htm

here is the link for 2-1 used with exhaust manifolds
https://www.dufftuff.com/2_1_exhaust_kit_early_bronco_302_351W_5_0_V8_p/3061.htm

If you'd just like to purchase the shorty headers, click the link below
https://www.dufftuff.com/Shorty_Headers_289_302_351W_5_0_Early_Bronco_p/3106.htm

For years we have been selling a great DIY dual exhaust kit that performs very well and sounds great. Especially when you pair it with our industry leading long tube ceramic headers. Now also available with black heat temp paint. There's only one problem, these parts won't fit on everyone's Early Bronco. The moment you add an Atlas or 205 transfer case the dual exhaust kit we sell wont work. We also recommend the shorty headers for anyone running a 4R70W or an AOD transmission. Our long tubes just barely fit with those transmissions and in some cases it requires A LOT of extra effort to get the passenger side long tube in w/o damaging the paint or ceramic coating.

We now have a solution that covers those issues plus it works with several other drive train configurations, can be used with stock EB (non emission) exhaust manifolds or the very reasonably priced Drake shorty headers. If you are already running shorty headers we know our kit also works with JBA shorties. It has NOT been tested with any other shorties on the market. Feel free to email monstermikeduff@gmail.com if you'd like help identifying the shorties you are currently running.

The details:
-2.25" aluminized steel head pipes and merge pipe
-2.5" mid pipe & tail pipe
-choice of muffler 2.5" C/C
-SS Magnaflow - nice resonant mellow deep sound
-Jones Full Boar - deep more aggressive tone. Comparable to a flowmaster 40
-Flowmaster Delta 44 - signature sound of the 40 series without the over powering drone or in cab resonating
-Cherry Bomb Pro -Deepest most aggressive tone of the 4 choices
-hardware kit and instructions which include info on how to properly install Drake headers.
-No welding required

The good:
-fits 289, 302, 5.0 & 351W engines
-currently tested and approved to work with these transmissions with shorties & stock EB manifolds
----C4
----stock 3 speed
----NP435
----AOD
----4R70W
----AX15
----NV3550
----Transmissions we havent tested. Top Loader 4 speed w/ or w/o OD, C6, ZF 5 speed, NV4500 & 6R80
-Keep in mind using a aftermarket (racing) bellhousing may also cause clearance issues.
-works with stock EB (non emission) exhaust manifolds
-works with Drake shorty headers offered in black painted, stainless & ceramic coated
-works with JBA shorty headers.
-can be used with all drivers drop transfer cases
-comes with in depth instructions with several pictures
-works with high pinion dana 44 Full Width or EB width
-will sell 2-1 exhaust kit without mufflers just like we offer for our dual exhaust kit. please call the office to request this.
-can ship the 2-1 exhaust kit and shorty headers in one box which makes shipping extremely affordable.

The bad
-2-1 kit does not work with long tube headers
-not compatible with P heads w/o modifications to some of the primary tubes
-if you have rear inboard shocks this kits tailpipe may make contact with your passenger side shock - it tested favorably on one setup but we haven't tested them all
-if you have a rear 4 link suspension system this kit will not fit w/o serious modifications.
-if you are running stock EB manifolds we have a kit for you but not in stainless till spring/summer of 2019

Shorty header important info:
-the shorty headers we offer with this kit are designed to work with 289, 302 and 5.0 engines
-they come with installation hardware and MLS header flange gaskets - no instructions from the manufacturer included
-not compatible with explorer P heads without extensive modifications
-requires mods to work with a 351W
----back 2 primaries on passenger side contact inner fender
----collector flange on passenger side sometimes requires some slight trimming before install unless you have aftermarket motor mounts that move your motor up .25 to .75 inches

Application and adaptation: available 11-23-18 (except stainless options)
Now that we offer a 2-1 exhaust kit with an optional shorty header we have a few new options available plus we are extending our accessory line up that compliments all our exhaust systems.
-stainless stage 8 locking header bolts
-stainless polished slip over tips (typically tack welded on but can be screwed on too)
-header & tube wrap
-spark plug boot insulators
-muffler heat shield
-optional weld on hardware kit for 2-1 and dual exhaust kits available 2019
-optional hardware upgrade to SS band clamps kit to eliminate saddle clamps available in 2019
-stainless tubing, muffler & hanger options available in 2019
- will be looking into a catalytic converter upgrade in 2019
-if you want to purchase the shorty headers we sell and want to run (or currently running) our DIY dual exhaust kit, we have made adapter head pipes for that kit. Part# 3069 Keep in mind shorty headers will ship in a separate box when purchased with our dual exhaust kit so there will be added shipping costs for that.

Prices on 2-1 DIY exhaust kits will range from $319 to $399 depending on muffler choice.

Shorty headers are $239 for black and $299 for stainless, Ceramic is $359 and ship at no additional charge when they are bought and shipped at the same time as the 2-1 exhaust kit.

If you are interested in our dual exhaust kit it is available here:
https://www.dufftuff.com/Dual_Exhaust_66_75_Early_Classic_Bronco_Aluminized_p/3095.htm

As new information arrives we will do our best to add it here.

Please feel free to ask any questions and we or Monster Mike will chime in.

JDI

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 277
  • FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 235
  • FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have several updates on our 2-1 exhaust kit and there are several more coming.

First off we were able to do some more testing and found our 2-1 exhaust kit will work with:

-NP435 transmissions using a 289/302/351W
-keep in mind if you made a custom crossmember for whatever reason it could interfere with the merge pipe. Our system is designed to work with the stock crossmember and the Advance Adapters NV3550/AX15 crossmember.

-JBA shorty headers designed for a 66-77 EB

-Full width dana 44 front axles

-We redesigned the drivers side head pipe to accommodate more drive train configurations and now we will be testing it to see if it will work with EB width high pinion dana 44 axles. Originally it would not work. If you have this axle under your EB and want to use this exhaust kit, email me at monstermikeduff@gmail.com

NEWS/UPDATES

-The shorty headers we are providing with this kit will now be offered with Ceramic Coating. The price point is not official but we are expecting it to be around $370

-The first shipments of headers will ship to us at the end of NOV. They will be available to order 11/23 and we estimate shipping to you will start the 1st or 2nd week of Dec. We will be offering the shorties in black paint, stainless and ceramic.

-if you have a 351W and want to run these headers we want you to know these headers were not designed to work in an EB with a 351W. They fit fine on the driver side but you literally have to shove them between the head and the passenger inner fender to bolt them on and then the two rear primaries will make contact with your inner fender unless you clearance/modify the inner fender or the header. We had to remove the valve cover just to get the opportunity to shove the header into position. On some Broncos the passenger side shorty may also make contact with the frame at the collector. Its easy to modify/clearance but again, one more hassle to deal with. Trust me, I am taking steps to get the engineers involved to fix this but it could take years to see a change if they even are interested in making it.

Last edited:

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Installed the AX15 in our display chassis today using the Advanve Adapters bellhousing adapter and crossmember and mocked up our 2-1 exhaust kit. Its looking like a go!

Anyone running a NV3550 using the Advance Adapters install kit with their crossmember will also be able to install our 2-1 exhaust kit :cool:

OP
OP
jduffent

jduffent

Sponsor/Vendor
Hey everyone, wanted to share with you some great news.

Packaging and shipping our first run of 2-1 Exhaust kits next week. 12/3/18

We've updated the first post to show everyone the details of this kit.

Thanks to Monster Mike for putting in huge amounts of overtime to get this kit dialed in so we could offer it with free shipping for Black Friday.

He has tweaked this kit several times so it will work with many different drive train configurations as well with two of the most popular shorty headers available on the market today that do not already offer an exhaust kit to go with them.

We will continue to make this kit more versatile in 2019.

Thanks again for everyone's patience and continued support with James Duff Inc.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Installed the AX15 in our display chassis today using the Advanve Adapters bellhousing adapter and crossmember and mocked up our 2-1 exhaust kit. Its looking like a go!

Anyone running a NV3550 using the Advance Adapters install kit with their crossmember will also be able to install our 2-1 exhaust kit :cool:

Get some sleep Mike.

Cooter_76

This looks like a really nice setup. I may be in the market, depending on how nicely my current exhaust plays with the 4R70W I plan to install in the coming months.
It would be great to see/hear a video of the different muffler options installed on the same vehicle to be able to compare sound. It'd also be nice to see a pic of where the tailpipe is located in relation to the body/wheel well opening, with the understanding that there are a lot of variables depending on body lift, cut/uncut, etc.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
here is the 2-1 exhaust video.

you will also notice the video is on a new youtube page called Bronco Garage. check it out to see more videos.

I have a goal to post install videos of a product on there once a month.

If you hit the subscribe button it will send you an email notification when I upload new videos.

I still have one more short video to upload that addresses some of the challenges that you may run into when using the 351W & Ford AOD. It will be up by the end of the week.

[youtube]lOJPEL-Ea6I[/youtube]

OP
OP
jduffent

jduffent

Sponsor/Vendor
This looks like a really nice setup. I may be in the market, depending on how nicely my current exhaust plays with the 4R70W I plan to install in the coming months.
It would be great to see/hear a video of the different muffler options installed on the same vehicle to be able to compare sound. It'd also be nice to see a pic of where the tailpipe is located in relation to the body/wheel well opening, with the understanding that there are a lot of variables depending on body lift, cut/uncut, etc.

We would love to give you sound bites of each muffler on the same Bronco. unfortunately we have found a recurring problem with this idea when doing this. The sound clip never sounds as good in a speaker as it does standing next to the Bronco. Customers all had different speakers at varying degrees of quality. Our motor made the mufflers sound different due to engine size, different internals and head specs then theirs. The end result is some customers felt the sound clip was more misleading than helpful. Instead we do our best to give a written or verbal comparison but in the end you very well may have to try more than one before you get the sound that works best on your Bronco.

Here is a video where Monster Mike gives some helpful tips on how to choose a muffler.

[youtube]gEbfXvKNYdk[/youtube]

in the install video Monster Mike posted above you will see where the tail pipe exits.

Thanks for the feedback Cooter!

Cooter_76

We would love to give you sound bites of each muffler on the same Bronco. unfortunately we have found a recurring problem with this idea when doing this. The sound clip never sounds as good in a speaker as it does standing next to the Bronco. Customers all had different speakers at varying degrees of quality. Our motor made the mufflers sound different due to engine size, different internals and head specs then theirs. The end result is some customers felt the sound clip was more misleading than helpful. Instead we do our best to give a written or verbal comparison but in the end you very well may have to try more than one before you get the sound that works best on your Bronco.

Here is a video where Monster Mike gives some helpful tips on how to choose a muffler.

[youtube]gEbfXvKNYdk[/youtube]

in the install video Monster Mike posted above you will see where the tail pipe exits.

Thanks for the feedback Cooter!

That makes sense. I happened to watch both of these videos over the weekend. Well done! Based on the descriptions I think I'll go with the Flowmaster and ceramic coated headers. Will be placing an order once I'm closer to needing them.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
!UPDATE!

I thought I'd share a few things with everyone on my experiences with the install of the 2-1 exhaust kit.

First off I think we can all agree the EFI is A LOT less forgiving then a carburetor. Especially systems like FiTech that use the O2 sensor full time.

I have worked closely with Tom Hyde at Lick Creek Restorations to ensure that the FiTech and the Duff exhaust systems are compatible.

Here are a few tech tips that helped me achieve a great running Bronco with no leaks.

First off if you buy any of the James Duff exhaust kits they come standard with saddle clamps at every joint except on the 2-1 we offer band clamps right at the ball flange adapter that has o2 sensor bungs.

Saddle clamps are perfectly acceptable for carbureted engines. Saddle clamps are also acceptable from the mufflers back on EFI equipped engines. If you're running EFI you will want to upgrade to a stepped band clamp from all joints forward of the muffler(s) or if you dont mind making the exhaust more permanent just weld the joints together.

An important thing to know about saddle clamps. Once you tighten them down it's next to impossible to slide the inner pipe out of the outer pipe at that joint because the saddle creates a crimp where it has been tightened down. This is fine if you have a carbureator but if you're fuel injected and you dont want to spend the extra cash on the stainless stepped band clamps James Duff offers or dont see any benefit to keeping the exhaust system easily removable then just take the Bronco down to your local exhaust shop and have it all welded in place. Don't forget to use high temp spray paint at each weld to prevent them from flash rusting.

With this new information James Duff will be offering an upgrade option to the hardware kit that includes stainless stepped band clamps for every joint. This hardware kit will come standard in their all stainless 2-1 exhaust kit coming out later this year. If you'd like this offering for their dual exhaust system please email me at monstermikeduff@gmail.com

The next tech tip that greatly improved the removal of all exhaust leaks was the use of an all graphite header flange gasket. This gasket is offered here.
https://www.dufftuff.com/Premium_Header_Gaskets_V8_302_351w_p/3050r.htm

I also liked how well this gasket fit the primaries with James Duff's short and long tube headers.

Speaking of headers I found a really great way to easily gain access to every header bolt and torque them to the exact torque spec these graphite gaskets recommend. In order to take advantage of this method it requires the use of a bolt that not only makes tightening and torquing far easier but it also locks the bolt in place when you're done and will not let it back back out. Link provided here:
https://www.dufftuff.com/Stage_8_Header_Bolts_V8_Ford_p/3080.htm

Notice the center of the upgraded header bolt has an internal hex? I utilize that hex by using a 3/8 drive socket with a 3/16 allen that has a 2-3 inch shank and a ball head that allows you to use this tool when its not completely straight with the bolt. That combination with a 3/8 torque wrench is the perfect combo for these hard to reach bolts on the SBF header flange.

Now that you have the best header flange gasket, the right tools to install them and you're using the correct clamps to seal up your joints you should probably be just about done right? well for some maybe but I wasn't quite there yet. After test driving I still couldn't get my Fitech dialed in so I suspected the leaks either came back or I missed a few in the hard to reach tricky spots under the Bronco. There were two more things that I needed to get the results I was looking for which was no leaks and to prevent the pipes from loosening back up over time.

Going back through the exhaust I found two problems. One of the bolts that keep the ball and socket flange tight had come loose. I discovered that the flanged/serrated nut provided with the headers was not working properly after being put on and taken off a few times. I also learned that if you're going to remove a bolt using a flanged serrated nut that you want to be really careful how you remove it. Typically I hold the bolt tight with one tool then twist the nut off with the other. With this type of nut, if you want to use it again you will want the nut to stay still while you twist the bolt loose. Since this nut had most of the serrated edges stripped off of it, the nut had worked itself loose causing a huge leak right before the O2 sensor.

I was fortunate to have the skills, knowledge and experience of Tom Hyde when he came down to the James Duff facility to do the final tuning on this Bronco now that it had the new 2-1 exhaust system installed. Tom wanted to go back through the exhaust system with me one last time and check for leaks. It was at this time when we discovered tat one of the ball flange bolts had come loose. We also were finding other smaller leaks in some other joints that we couldn't get completely out. They were very small leaks but we didn't want anything causing issues while tuning the EFI. he reached in his tool bag and grabbed a tube of sealant specifically designed for removing exhaust leaks at pipe joints. James Duff will be offering this sealant soon on dufftuff.com but you can also grab it from the local parts store. Its made by Versa Chem part No. 10160 and its called exhaust system joint & crack sealer. This product really was the cherry on top of the pie for me.

Going back and dialing in the Fitech for this 392 Ford performance windsor based crate motor all of a sudden got a lot easier! It's now a dream a drive and the exhaust system is tight and leak free.

Hope that helped some of you. I plan of putting this re cap on video soon as well.

MM

Skinnyr1

Has anyone put this kit on a stock height bronco? I am told it will NOT fit due to interference with the front drive shaft.

Can it be modded to fit, or is it definitely a no go? Stock height, stock manifolds.

Not a lot of 2 into 1 kits out there, so any feedback would be appreciated. This one with the Y pipe seems to be the simplest and is complete, although shipping on all of them is pricey.