• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical gemlins in EFI 5.0 - Dizzy

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
I have been running the 5.0 EFI setup from a '04 Merc Mountaineer for about 2 years now; and overall it was a fantastical decision overall, but of course stuff likes to break.

I am having an issue with the Distributor, or the TFI module, or wiring harness. Not sure. The fun part is the problem is intermittent so it's hard to nail down the source.

Every once in a while, the engine will turn off. This can happen at a stoplight, or while driving down the freeway at 70. and it will not start up again. From pulling the codes I know the issue is the computer stops receiving the RPM info. So it's something in the dizzy. the fix so far has been to pull to the side of the road (or stay in the middle of the intersection with everyone pissed off at you) unplug the TFI module and plug it back in. This usually works to "reset" the sensor.

I have a brand new (well 2 yr old) Dizzy and TFI from when I installed the engine, Running a RJM wiring harness. Both the plug and socket have no evidence of corrosion - not that I am ruling out poor connections. Before I go tearing out the Dizzy and replacing it, anyone have any simpler suggestions?

The hard part is, this issue only come up every month or so, so repeating the problem is HARD. It just usually quits at the WRONG time.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'd just get a complete $20 distributor from a wrecking yard and swap it. Its difficult to troubleshoot intermitent problems like yours.