• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Well its official, the Bronco "sport" is a rebadged 2012 Ford Escape...

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Went to the dealership today to see/compare the Sport with my Wife's 2008 Mercury Mariner. Lined them up side by side, they are the same length, same width and not too much WOW factor.
Actually the Mariner is 1" taller at the rocker panel, and 1" taller at the rear wheel well.
On the interior, it has an arm rest that reminds me of my good 'ol 91 Ranger, It's cheesy and easily broken at the hinge. Seats were super comfortable, but no leg room in the back.

The Mariner (and Escape) has a better field of view over the hood and rear glass. speaking of the rear glass, When the He*l is Ford going to realize/admit the "Vertical glass-to-rubber seal" configuration Just does not work... It LEAKS!

It leaks on my wife's 2008 Mariner, It leaks on my 2012 Escape and it will leak on the 2021 Escape, Oops I mean 2012 Bronco Sport..
And by the way, the real seal has been replaced by Ford already..
This is not a Bronco, It's a Pinto...
God I hope the real 2021 Bronco is not as cheesy as this, I'll give up my reservation, (I do have a 1973 Bronco) Owned a '74 too
"Bronco Sport?....bad move Ford using the "B" word on this...….

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are many opinions on this but I agree with you. I made the mistake of posting that on a 2021 Bronco FB page and got kicked off. I later realized it was started by Fords marketing company!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
There are many opinions on this but I agree with you. I made the mistake of posting that on a 2021 Bronco FB page and got kicked off. I later realized it was started by Fords marketing company!

Whoops.. Funny how they can't take criticism AT ALL

BroncoC10guy

Loc.
Sierra Vista
We saw a four door one here and it looked like a stretched Flex. With the wheels that were on it it was about a foot off the ground. It would have needed 4-wheel drive just to get over a curb. It was the Outer Banks addition. Was not impressed. Nothing like the ones in the commercials that look like they are way off the ground.

Smitty

Projp

My wife's Acura is due to be handed down to one of the kids so we went car shopping today. Test drove an Escape first and it was OK. They had a Sport there so she took it around the block . She is a car type of person but actually preferred the driving position and ride of the Sport over the Escape.
Yes, the Sport is redressed Escape but in my opinion it is quite well done. I think it does fit the niche for which it was intended.
She ended up buying a Mazda. Quite a surprise to me since the last Mazda I looked at had a rotary engine.

sriha

I haven't seen one in person but I feel like it would be a good fit for my needs. I would love to have a Bronco 2 door but I like to camp out of my vehicles so it would make more sense to have the 4 door. I would not be taking it anywhere technical that it needs tons of ground clearance but 4wd would be nice. I currently have a Nissan Xterra though. Maybe when it is time to put it to pasture I will be in the market and hopefully all the bugs will be worked out and there is a good used market to choose from. Its too bad Nissan stopped the Xterra, it was a good vehicle. My other car is a Mazda3 and it seems Mazda does a great job with build quality, fit and finish.

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
We saw a four door one here and it looked like a stretched Flex. With the wheels that were on it it was about a foot off the ground. It would have needed 4-wheel drive just to get over a curb. It was the Outer Banks addition. Was not impressed. Nothing like the ones in the commercials that look like they are way off the ground.

Smitty

well that ain't good.. like the looks of it from the web personally

ransil

Bronco Guru
I just drove one , not bad I would buy one if in the market for a small suv.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I agreed. It's a warmed over escape. Why not call it that? It may not be a bad little SUV, but it ain't no Bronco! The 2022 may have a hard time living up to the name, much less this tiny little brother...

Mustang Mach E? They are ruining heritage!

txpd

I agreed. It's a warmed over escape. Why not call it that? It may not be a bad little SUV, but it ain't no Bronco! The 2022 may have a hard time living up to the name, much less this tiny little brother...

Mustang Mach E? They are ruining heritage!

Bronco is not a model in a brand but a brand of its own. It appears you arent a big fan of any of this new Bronconess. Maybe the new Bronco should be called something else. Yes?

Projp

Ford has seen Jeep's success in branding their name and is now playing the game.
The CJ series and now the Wrangler is what has historically been referred to as a "Jeep", but over the years they have added the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Compass, etc. to fill market niches. Some Wrangler owners do not consider a Compass a "Jeep".

The new "Bronco" is both a model and a brand which confuses a lot of people. I think Jeep thought though this problem years ago and that is why we have the Jeep Wrangler instead of just the "Jeep".

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Bronco is not a model in a brand but a brand of its own. It appears you arent a big fan of any of this new Bronconess. Maybe the new Bronco should be called something else. Yes?

I know, but it was right? They are trying to bring back the look of our beloved EB's, but back then it was a Ford Bronco. A Bronco Sport was an added package to the same rig. These new ones are vastly different between the same two names.

I don't have a problem with the new (2022?) bronco being called that. I do believe it is a mistake to call the little one a bronco. Why not leave it as an escape or even escape sport or something entirely different??

I am thankful they revived the Bronco (the 2022) and I wish I could justify putting one in my garage so don't get me wrong. I just think that Ford should have followed thru on the heritage with the naming process as well.

txpd

I know, but it was right? They are trying to bring back the look of our beloved EB's, but back then it was a Ford Bronco. A Bronco Sport was an added package to the same rig. These new ones are vastly different between the same two names.

I don't have a problem with the new (2022?) bronco being called that. I do believe it is a mistake to call the little one a bronco. Why not leave it as an escape or even escape sport or something entirely different??

I am thankful they revived the Bronco (the 2022) and I wish I could justify putting one in my garage so don't get me wrong. I just think that Ford should have followed thru on the heritage with the naming process as well.

Look at the Bronco II, the original box Bronco. The OJ F150 Bronco. 3 different animals. Ford is going to make all 3 of those now.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
IMO, heritage comes from the original. So I can't apply your logic to this situation. However, like the Bronco II, the current Bronco Sport is a bit of a bastard child in my opinion. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but both were/are cityfied, very loose versions of the flagship. I have no problem with the OJ bronco as it was simply the next evolution. It too was getting to the point of having no off-road prowess.

I know removeable top was a major consideration of the design of this 6th gen. The Bronco II, if memory serves, didn't offer that.

When I say Dodge Charger, what do you think of? If you are old enough to have enjoyed the Dukes of Hazzard, I am pretty sure I know the image you conjure up. It's not the 4-door sedan that is out now.

Projp

When I say Dodge Charger, what do you think of? If you are old enough to have enjoyed the Dukes of Hazzard, I am pretty sure I know the image you conjure up. It's not the 4-door sedan that is out now.

The key word is "old". My daughter in law has a new Charger and I doubt she knows who the Dukes of Hazzard are.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went to the dealer Wednesday to place my order for my Bronco reservation. While I was there I had time to really look at the sport they had on the floor. As mentioned, it is a nice little SUV but nothing special. the naming is confusing for sure. Almost as confusing as the stock market right now!

txpd

I went to the dealer Wednesday to place my order for my Bronco reservation. While I was there I had time to really look at the sport they had on the floor. As mentioned, it is a nice little SUV but nothing special. the naming is confusing for sure. Almost as confusing as the stock market right now!

I am not confused at all. How are you confused?

txpd

IMO, heritage comes from the original. So I can't apply your logic to this situation. However, like the Bronco II, the current Bronco Sport is a bit of a bastard child in my opinion. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but both were/are cityfied, very loose versions of the flagship. I have no problem with the OJ bronco as it was simply the next evolution. It too was getting to the point of having no off-road prowess.

I know removeable top was a major consideration of the design of this 6th gen. The Bronco II, if memory serves, didn't offer that.

Ive had a Baja and a II. I found the II to be useful off roader. It fit my needs. I didnt need a big OJ Bronco.

Some here sound like they would just as soon Ford leave it alone and not do this Bronco. Its a real shame they both seem so popular