• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New coils and leaves

centex77

Been driving the truck for about a year now and while we’ve gone through everything else, we left the original super lift coils and leaves//block that came on the truck. Even with some new bilstein 5100 shocks it rides like there’s no suspension at all. Who is a good company to reach out to to get some custom coils and leaves made up to help soften things up?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Most all the vendors carry some nice riding springs. The main differences are whether you want linear or progressive rate coils. For the rear you'll find 9,10 or 11 packs. If you find t or 6 pack leads they're stiff like the stock ones. I havent tried the 9 pack but have the 11s. I like em. The 10s are just a lighter version but it seems most who buy em end up getting the extra spring later. Especially if you run a hard top or heavy rear bumper/tire carrier. Another factor is location. Springs are heavy and shipping is $$ on em. Depending where you're at you may be able to pick em up to save some bucks or it may determine where you want to order from.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have some 9-leaf CAGE springs that were manufactured by Betts Spring Co IIRC...they work well. Deaver makes good springs and supplies most of the vendors with their high-leaf count options. Axle wrap can be an issue with soft springs, big tires and big gear ratios, so plan accordingly.

When I put on my 3.5", I replaced some old Duff front springs and super-stiff add-a-leaves in the rear...it changed the ride from "pissing blood" to "pretty darn good" IMO. Body roll certainly increased with the new leaf springs in the rear, but not horribly so.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Alll our vendors are great to work with.. Look at the Duff, WH options..

Rosco

To tag onto and continue What are people's opinions on linear vs. Progressive?
I have a 3-1/2" lift I got from Jeffs that has the Deaver Linear front coils. I have a 1" BL also and for me the Bronco is a bit too tall so I am thinking of going 1" lower on the suspension... Seems like all the other vendors 2.5" springs are progressive rate, Jeffs SuperFlex are linear... Without a comparison it is hard to decide....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I personally like progressives as a starting point, because of both the fact that I started with them before they were popular, and of my bias towards WH stuff!
But where they are counter-indicated (or is that contra?%)) is when you have extra weight up front. Especially hanging out over the front axle like a bumper and winch. In that case a linear rate is often the better choice for both height and ride quality.
Because the progressives are usually softer on initial rate and stiffer on secondary rate, if you use up all of your soft coils with weight then you're defeating the purpose of a softer ride.
It still works though, and that's how my '68 is set up with it's big bumper. But I could go either way still.

But that soft ride is hard to beat otherwise! I could tell the difference immediately in my daily driver when I changed from linear to progressives back in the early '80's. Can't tell you they were the better choice for hard charging down washboard 2-track trails, but around town they were amazingly smoother riding.

I'd say those general feelings would factor in no matter what lift height you choose. My first were about 2" lift, and the second were 3.5" lift. Very happy with the results of both overall.
With a winch and heavy bumper, a pair of BC linears would probably be the ticket.

If you have a winch, but a lighter bumper, or custom between-the-frame winch mount, I could go either way.
Naturally the farther forward the weight is, the greater it's effect at the spring.

Paul

Rosco

Paul,
Appreciate the insight! I think I may switch and try some progressives based on what you said, no need for winches for me! (at this time)
Heaviest thing in my Bronco is three sasquatches, but they moved on...

Steve

I personally like progressives as a starting point, because of both the fact that I started with them before they were popular, and of my bias towards WH stuff!
But where they are counter-indicated (or is that contra?%)) is when you have extra weight up front. Especially hanging out over the front axle like a bumper and winch. In that case a linear rate is often the better choice for both height and ride quality.
Because the progressives are usually softer on initial rate and stiffer on secondary rate, if you use up all of your soft coils with weight then you're defeating the purpose of a softer ride.
It still works though, and that's how my '68 is set up with it's big bumper. But I could go either way still.

But that soft ride is hard to beat otherwise! I could tell the difference immediately in my daily driver when I changed from linear to progressives back in the early '80's. Can't tell you they were the better choice for hard charging down washboard 2-track trails, but around town they were amazingly smoother riding.

I'd say those general feelings would factor in no matter what lift height you choose. My first were about 2" lift, and the second were 3.5" lift. Very happy with the results of both overall.
With a winch and heavy bumper, a pair of BC linears would probably be the ticket.

If you have a winch, but a lighter bumper, or custom between-the-frame winch mount, I could go either way.
Naturally the farther forward the weight is, the greater it's effect at the spring.

Paul

OP
OP
C

centex77

Time to make a decision. Dad said the rear end was a little loose. Drove it and it was vibrating bad. This is what I found. I undid the u bolts by hand. Time to upgrade.

DC3zVqa.jpg

jwaZqn6.jpg

UoRYbl4.jpg

cV8cSoU.jpg

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Ouch! I definitely agree it is time to upgrade. Especially if you were able to remove the u-bolts by hand.

I didn't know this early on, but after 20+ years owning an EB I have learned that you should not reuse u-bolts.

I would order new springs (minus giant lift block), new u-bolt plates and u-bolts. Also when you get everything off, I would take a wire brush to the spring perches. In pic #3 it almost looks like a crack in the weld due to the force.

OP
OP
C

centex77

The u bolts were about a year old and had 3 retorques on them.

Wild horses 3.5” lift ordered. New leaves, coils, HD u bolts, plates, shocks, coil spring retainers, etc. I'm excited to see how well this thing rides and drives without superlift coils and 44 year old leaves on blocks.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Now when you get all the lift installed don't panic;)if the lift is higher than expected. I installed a 3.5 and it stared of at 4.5 inch and my rear measured 5.5 inch, so far the front has settled to a little under 4 and I'm still waiting for the rear to settle. The ride is awsome with the progressive coils and my rear is a lot softer.

armynavy17

Contributor
Looks like you'll be needing a set of new shims to correct your pinion angle too.

If it were me, I'd install everything and measure to determine the shims you need. Lots of people seems to have luck with the 6 degree shims WH has in stock, but your milage may very well vary.

OP
OP
C

centex77

We had 6* shims in it. We'll see how everything sets with the new leaves and go from there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just FYI, of the members here it's probably well over 90% end up needing the shims with a 3.5" rear spring lift. So keep them in mind, so that when you're all set up and running you remember to measure your rear pinion angle to see if they're needed in your case.

Obviously your old shims have seen better days! But they are also the slip-fit kind, where ours (and all the better ones I'd say) are bolt-in type. Where you replace the center-pin/bolt with a longer one and literally bolt the shim to the spring pack.
This way the locating pin still has full engagement in the perch, and there is no real chance that the shim will slip and cause trouble, even if the u-bolts loosen up.
And yes, the old rule still applies. Re-torque any rear u-bolts after 200 miles or so. You'll hear variations from between 200 and 500 miles, and really any of them are good if the u-bolts were torqued properly to begin with.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Tyler, forgot to say thanks for opting for our springs.
I just let Matt know about your possible need for the #1188 tapered shims, but he'll need to know more about your order before he can add to it.
If you want them, give us a call at the main number and see if they can tack them on to the order.

Paul