• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not another LUBR tire question! Ok just one...

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know this has been beat to death but after reading countless posts there seems to be a conflicting opinion on using stock wheels with wide tires. My question is what experience does anyone have with any issues from this and what exactly is the risk and how real?

I see quite a few people saying dont' do it, the tires shops refuse to mount etc. I am looking at 33/10.50r15 on 5 1/2"steel wheels. There are those that said they have run them for 30 years this way with no issues and others that refuse to. I looked at going 17 x 7 aftermarket wheels and while they are a good option and more tire choices, all I really need is a 33 10inch tire and 15's will be fine as well as cost less than a comparable 17 inch option.

So one more time, what is the "real" danger or non issue with this combo?

Thanks

Rosco

My 2c...
I had this exact setup- 33" x 10.5" on 1974 stock 15" steel wheels. The sidewall was pretty pinched and the tread was round looking... As a result I believe the tires contributed to some wandering in the handling. I ended up getting 8" wheels and do believe it handled better. My opinion is if you want this size rubber try to find some steel wheels that are wider.

The 8" wheel with the 10.5" tire fit no problem (with proper offset) on an un-cut Bronco...

SR bronco.jpg

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've run that set up with no issues, that being said I'd go to one of your many pick and pull yards down there and find some later 6" wide steel wheels for cheap.

phyler

Loc.
Denver area
I went with the Wheel Vintiques in 15x7. Bfg km3's in 33x10.5 R15. Love it.
4e1f353b321d7a9d7a5944a44730e66c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The conflicting reports are a result of the conflicting results that different people have had over the years. There's never going to be a consensus, and the manufacturers have their own reasons for limiting to a narrow range of tire-per-wheel width recommendations. And big tire companies have their reasons for adhering religiously to them.
Small companies will still usually mount what you want on what you want it mounted to.

With 5.5 inch wide wheels you're just over the normal max that most people run (4" wider) while with a 6" wide wheel you're right there with a 10.50 tire.
The results that Rosco experienced are textbook. But that can change with the tire brand and model as well. If you have a softer tire, you can often reduce the pressure so that it's still in the safe range but does not bow out the center of the tread as much. But not always...

What is this particular Bronco used for? Daily driving around town? Long distance running on the hot highways of AZ? Long slow slogs off road in the dirt and rocks?

My example might be slightly different, since my tire and wheel sizes were slightly larger. But still with the 4" wider size scenario. I've run 11.50 wide tires on 7" wide wheels for decades on different vehicles and never had an issue of tire wear or safety (well, that is until I got my Swamper Thornbirds!)
Maybe I got lucky, but that was my experience. I always adjust air pressure for the combination though, and rarely go by any manufacturer's recommendations. Even on newer cars my air pressures are often way different from those recommended. And that's even when I'm using the recommended size tire on the stock wheels.

In your case, since your wheel width is fixed at 5.5 and your tire choice is wider than "normal" I'd say it's a try it and see what you get. I don't see any danger in it, regarding things like a tire coming off if the pressure gets low before you notice, or a tire generating more heat from the sidewall being pulled in more. I don't see belt or tread separation as an issue. Just possibly strange tire wear.
But to that end, your location dictates that you need to be more careful about how low you go with pressure when the Bronco is loaded down and you're out on the highway. The tires can heat up in that Arizona sunshine out on a high-speed highway more so than most places. Stay up above 20 (again, depending on the tire) and you're probably fine.

What tires are you looking at specifically? If you have the chance, go down to the tire store and have them pull one for you to look at. Measure the tire as it sits (un-mounted) from bead-to-bead and see what you find. i bet you're looking at very close to 5 or 6 inches anyway. perhaps less.
So I don't see it as a stress on the tire.

Are you road-racing it? High-speed desert racing or 2-track flying? If so, I'd be more diligent in tire and wheel combinations. But for normal use, I'd say you're fine other than wear. In my cases though, even tire wear was never a problem. Forty six years and counting.

Bronconut's idea of getting a slightly wider set of stock wheels is an even better idea. It's only a half an inch, but it might be enough depending on which tire you use to bypass any tread wear woes.

Paul

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul, I assumed you would add to this thread as you always have good info. I was looking at BFG K02 tires. Mostly in town driving with light off road. I did consider getting the Vintiques in 7 inch but did not want to spend the extra 400 bucks if there is not a clear cut case to do it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the KO in a Mud pattern? Or All-Terrain?
Reason i ask is that more than likely if any tire wear issue is going to crop up, it's going to happen first with a Mud type tread. Heck, even my 31x10.50 BFG Muds on 7" wide Vintiques are wearing out faster than you can shake a stick at!
Gonna have to start rotating them every 5,000 or less now it looks like!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Perfectly said...…..

The conflicting reports are a result of the conflicting results that different people have had over the years. There's never going to be a consensus, and the manufacturers have their own reasons for limiting to a narrow range of tire-per-wheel width recommendations. And big tire companies have their reasons for adhering religiously to them.
Small companies will still usually mount what you want on what you want it mounted to.

With 5.5 inch wide wheels you're just over the normal max that most people run (4" wider) while with a 6" wide wheel you're right there with a 10.50 tire.
The results that Rosco experienced are textbook. But that can change with the tire brand and model as well. If you have a softer tire, you can often reduce the pressure so that it's still in the safe range but does not bow out the center of the tread as much. But not always...

What is this particular Bronco used for? Daily driving around town? Long distance running on the hot highways of AZ? Long slow slogs off road in the dirt and rocks?

My example might be slightly different, since my tire and wheel sizes were slightly larger. But still with the 4" wider size scenario. I've run 11.50 wide tires on 7" wide wheels for decades on different vehicles and never had an issue of tire wear or safety (well, that is until I got my Swamper Thornbirds!)
Maybe I got lucky, but that was my experience. I always adjust air pressure for the combination though, and rarely go by any manufacturer's recommendations. Even on newer cars my air pressures are often way different from those recommended. And that's even when I'm using the recommended size tire on the stock wheels.

In your case, since your wheel width is fixed at 5.5 and your tire choice is wider than "normal" I'd say it's a try it and see what you get. I don't see any danger in it, regarding things like a tire coming off if the pressure gets low before you notice, or a tire generating more heat from the sidewall being pulled in more. I don't see belt or tread separation as an issue. Just possibly strange tire wear.
But to that end, your location dictates that you need to be more careful about how low you go with pressure when the Bronco is loaded down and you're out on the highway. The tires can heat up in that Arizona sunshine out on a high-speed highway more so than most places. Stay up above 20 (again, depending on the tire) and you're probably fine.

What tires are you looking at specifically? If you have the chance, go down to the tire store and have them pull one for you to look at. Measure the tire as it sits (un-mounted) from bead-to-bead and see what you find. i bet you're looking at very close to 5 or 6 inches anyway. perhaps less.
So I don't see it as a stress on the tire.

Are you road-racing it? High-speed desert racing or 2-track flying? If so, I'd be more diligent in tire and wheel combinations. But for normal use, I'd say you're fine other than wear. In my cases though, even tire wear was never a problem. Forty six years and counting.

Bronconut's idea of getting a slightly wider set of stock wheels is an even better idea. It's only a half an inch, but it might be enough depending on which tire you use to bypass any tread wear woes.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Giving the 5.5 a try. They do rub the radius at full turn though so backspacing may be an issue

Attachments

• boxy new wheels.jpg
    boxy new wheels.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 48