• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 Engine Plans

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
How do you like to drive? Are you happy "putting about" or do you like to be able to accelerate in soft sand or deep soft snow or maybe a quick merge into traffic? I have not driven the 2.8 but there can't be any real comparison driving a r 2.8 compared to the fun of driving a gas 5.7l like mentioned above... to me driving my Bronco should be fun. If I just want to get from Point A to Point B I can drive my wife's CRV... on the fun scale it's a 1 out of 10, but it get's there.

Are you comparing noise levels? Did I miss that? Do you like to go on trails and all you hear is the rattling of a loud diesel? I"ve listened to sound clips on the R2.8- that's it. If they are 1/2 as loud as a mechanical pump 12valve Cummins you couldn't give me one. I had one, hated it, sold it. On trails as you're idling its all you ever hear. Can't talk to a buddy on the side of the trail or barely hear a spotter... never hear any wildlife and they usually run for cover long before you'd see them because of the ungodly noise they make.

Do you or your family have breathing issues with diesel exhaust? Just another thing to think about as there are many more people that have breathing difficulties with diesel exhaust than gas... just to let you know.

One last thing...no way in heck should you only be getting 10mpg with a 5.0 or 351W in a Bronco. So compare a new fuel injected, done RIGHT and you should easily get 13-14.5mpg and if you you go with all the right parts and build you should get 15-17 at 60mph on the highway. These numbers are not pie in the sky and are 30-50% higher than the previously mentioned 10mpg for a gas pwr'd Bronco. If I can get 13mpg in a 418 stroker at 55mph measured over several hundred miles (on multiple trips), mileage checked by GPS, an accurate to 1% odometer, using highway markers on the side of the road to double check odometer and GPS, always filled up at the same station, at the same pump facing the same direction it pretty much makes it a fact... it can easily be done in an engine built/tuned for mpg.

Just thought I'd mention those points in case you hadn't given them as much thought as just the "technical stuff and cost".

Have a good time, drive the Bronco, it's supposed to be fun. :)

Last edited:

ame

How do you like to drive? Are you happy "putting about" or do you like to be able to accelerate in soft sand or deep soft snow or maybe a quick merge into traffic? I have not driven the 2.8 but there can't be any real comparison driving a r 2.8 compared to the fun of driving a gas 5.7l like mentioned above... to me driving my Bronco should be fun. If I just want to get from Point A to Point B I can drive my wife's CRV... on the fun scale it's a 1 out of 10, but it get's there.

Are you comparing noise levels? Did I miss that? Do you like to go on trails and all you hear is the rattling of a loud diesel? I"ve listened to sound clips on the R2.8- that's it. If they are 1/2 as loud as a mechanical pump 12valve Cummins you couldn't give me one. I had one, hated it, sold it. On trails as you're idling its all you ever hear. Can't talk to a buddy on the side of the trail or barely hear a spotter... never hear any wildlife and they usually run for cover long before you'd see them because of the ungodly noise they make.

Do you or your family have breathing issues with diesel exhaust? Just another thing to think about as there are many more people that have breathing difficulties with diesel exhaust than gas... just to let you know.

One last thing...no way in heck should you only be getting 10mpg with a 5.0 or 351W in a Bronco. So compare a new fuel injected, done RIGHT and you should easily get 13-14.5mpg and if you you go with all the right parts and build you should get 15-17 at 60mph on the highway. These numbers are not pie in the sky and are 30-50% higher than the previously mentioned 10mpg for a gas pwr'd Bronco. If I can get 13mpg in a 418 stroker at 55mph measured over several hundred miles (on multiple trips), mileage checked by GPS, an accurate to 1% odometer, using highway markers on the side of the road to double check odometer and GPS, always filled up at the same station, at the same pump facing the same direction it pretty much makes it a fact... it can easily be done in an engine built/tuned for mpg.

Just thought I'd mention those points in case you hadn't given them as much thought as just the "technical stuff and cost".

Gotta say it sounds like you just hate diesels as most gas powered ones will have exhaust just as loud as the fuel knock from a 2.8 and Ive never heard of people getting sick from Diesel exhaust but not gas and I was a Diesel mechanic for 15 years.

In terms of MPG when there was a thread on here about real world numbers I dont think more then 2 people said they could get 15-17 on the highway, it was all 10-14 for real world numbers where the 2.8 is likely 20-24 so 10mpg difference is a huge difference.

While the 2.8 would not be nearly as fun it would be different and a very nice driver just cant drive like a jack ass racing from stop light to stop light.

Digger556

I had fun with a built 351W, but it got old quick when commuting or road tripping at 10-14 mpg.

Ripping around town and going to car shows is great and we do that all the time, but I also use the Bronco like it was intended and more. It is a working vehicle in our house. It road trips 1000s of miles, tows the camper, commutes to work, hauls supplies, explores the back country, etc. It just requires a more balanced approach when choosing drivetrain, suspension, etc. It really makes you appreciate the level of effort the OEMs go to in order to best please everyone.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Nobody said "drive like a jackass" and I know 2 guys with ls powered, 35 & 37" tires on Broncos that get 19-20 consistently on 300 mile trips at 70mph. They arent on this list. Other fomoco pwrd can easily get 15-17.

The difference between exh pipes shooting sound straight out the back and having a diesel bouncing the sound in all directions under the hood and off the ground directly in front of you is like comparing apples and oranges... night and day having the noise right there all around bouncing off the walls at the bank, drive thru, or not hearing the spotter who is drowned out by the engine noise directly between you. You obviously missed my points which were to just help the OP be aware of some non-technical drawbacks of the R2.8.

ame

Nobody said "drive like a jackass" and I know 2 guys with ls powered, 35 & 37" tires on Broncos that get 19-20 consistently on 300 mile trips at 70mph. They arent on this list.

The difference between exh pipes shooting sound straight out the back and having a diesel bouncing the sound in all directions under the hood and off the ground directly in front of you is like comparing apples and oranges... night and day having the noise right there all around bouncing off the walls at the bank, drive thru, or not hearing the spotter who is drowned out by the engine noise directly between you. You obviously missed my points which were to just help the OP be aware of some non-technical drawbacks of the R2.8

Just out of curiosity to your buddies getting 20 mpg on 37's at 70mph also get 60mpg towing with there CumminGs up hill into the wind?

I didint miss the point was just pointing out it seems you just really hate diesels. Its good to list pros and cons , you just seem to have a very biased approach IMO.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'm done.

Have you tried FB...? lot's of people like this type of banter there. Or Pirate.

Have a good day.

OP
OP
B

BroncoManSam

That’s a good question and you bring up some good points. More and more I’ve been thinking about how much I will be driving the Bronco day to day, and for that I want reliability and efficiency. Realistically I won’t be out on the trail every day, I’ll be driving around town as well.

Even if I went with the 347, I’ll have loud exhaust, but I get the loud factor with the diesel. I’m not too worried about loud exhaust, I can always sound proof the interior if needed.

I think either way I’ll have fun with it. As long as I have fun and enjoy it I’ll be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BroncoManSam

I had fun with a built 351W, but it got old quick when commuting or road tripping at 10-14 mpg.

Ripping around town and going to car shows is great and we do that all the time, but I also use the Bronco like it was intended and more. It is a working vehicle in our house. It road trips 1000s of miles, tows the camper, commutes to work, hauls supplies, explores the back country, etc. It just requires a more balanced approach when choosing drivetrain, suspension, etc. It really makes you appreciate the level of effort the OEMs go to in order to best please everyone.

This is how I envision using my Bronco; off-road and on road and taking it on longer trips.

OP
OP
B

BroncoManSam

Nobody said "drive like a jackass" and I know 2 guys with ls powered, 35 & 37" tires on Broncos that get 19-20 consistently on 300 mile trips at 70mph. They arent on this list. Other fomoco pwrd can easily get 15-17.

The difference between exh pipes shooting sound straight out the back and having a diesel bouncing the sound in all directions under the hood and off the ground directly in front of you is like comparing apples and oranges... night and day having the noise right there all around bouncing off the walls at the bank, drive thru, or not hearing the spotter who is drowned out by the engine noise directly between you. You obviously missed my points which were to just help the OP be aware of some non-technical drawbacks of the R2.8.

I, for one, appreciate your opinion, and your pros and cons you listed, I asked for both sides of the story and I got both, so thank you.

ame

I'm done.

Have you tried FB...? lot's of people like this type of banter there. Or Pirate.

Have a good day.

Well it was was a legitimate question actually, people I know with new Tahoe's can barely get 20 on the highway so Im not jumping to believe an LS swap on 37's is going to get 19-20mpg which is why I asked. Most poeple I know that make those claims also say they get crazy high mpg with there deadly noisy diesel spewing tow rigs so curious if you personally verified people getting that mpg or just going off what they say? Not interested in FB BS just facts but if you dont want to answer the question that's fine. Have a great day I guess??...

ctay

Just stumbled across this and wanted to share some info. I've done several R2.8 swaps in Defenders and have a good deal of time behind the engine. It is a great engine but it really can't compare to a v8. Completely different drive.

R2.8 has decent torque but no hp. It is not a get up and go engine. It is not a rattlely engine - pretty mellow for a diesel. Is relatively quiet too. The fuel economy is really not what you expect though. No one drives them careful enough to get decent mpg. In truth they are only slightly better mpg than the LS3 which has significantly more power and is way more fun to drive.

They are also a bit tricky to swap in. They have a tendency to overheat. Big radiator is essential.

Good engine, but you need to have the right expectations.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Digger556

Just stumbled across this and wanted to share some info. I've done several R2.8 swaps in Defenders and have a good deal of time behind the engine. It is a great engine but it really can't compare to a v8. Completely different drive.

R2.8 has decent torque but no hp. It is not a get up and go engine. It is not a rattlely engine - pretty mellow for a diesel. Is relatively quiet too. The fuel economy is really not what you expect though. No one drives them careful enough to get decent mpg. In truth they are only slightly better mpg than the LS3 which has significantly more power and is way more fun to drive.

They are also a bit tricky to swap in. They have a tendency to overheat. Big radiator is essential.

Good engine, but you need to have the right expectations.

I am curious about your overheating comment. All the builds made by 4-wheel and Off-road ran cooler than their V8 counterparts. Rejected heat is usually proportional to fuel consumed, so diesels tend to run cooler.

Did those builds have a properly installed expansion tank with bleed lines installed?

nvrstuk

Contributor
ame... great points made by all.

I'd like to speak out for the SBF. Yeah, the block is old design but there are aftermarket parts that easily last 200K...

23 gal main tank, put an aux tank "back" in. 34 + gal fuel at a easily attainable 14mpg with a 351W, w/35" tires you now get 500+ miles between stops. Starts great, idles all day... quiet, faster acceleration, no $1,000 fuel pumps to replace, etc.

Oh, gas is averaging .40 cents less a gallon than diesel here for months at a time.

ctay

Properly installed cooling system with a stock size radiator will have problems. At least in a Defender. I've not put one in a Bronco but I doubt it will be different. I've been involved in a good number of these swaps. Bigger radiator and some thought to air flow and you'll be alright.

Remember you have an intercooler and (possibly a trans cooler and AC) in front of the radiator.