• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Column shifter moving when turning steering wheel

Dfroman

Hello,
Just got my 76 bronco back from getting rewired.
they removed the column and dash.
At first it was just popping from reverse to neutral. Now it is going from reverse all the way to first or low.
I have a flaming river tilt column and a 6r80 trans using modified stock shifter linkage.
I have taken the wheel and adapter off and turned with a wrench and have the same results. I do not see anything near the steering shaft that is putting pressure on the shift collar.......

Could this be bad bearings in the column?

the shifting with the steering has made the Bronco underivable.

Thank you
David

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
just tow it back to whoever did the column/wiring/dash install and have them fix it if it worked before........

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You didn't stump m_m70. He's got the answer right there.

Personally, never seen it on a modern column. Sure, used to see similar stuff on old clapped out machinery, but never worked on one to find out the issue and never had it happen to one myself. And never heard of an Ididit or Flaming River column having the issue either.

I agree it needs to be returned to whoever took the column out for them to look at it. Unless it's been months and is out of their control, they certainly had some contributing hand in it.
You can make an initial call to Flaming River to ask what it might be, then take the truck with that info back to the shop.

And ask them why they needed to remove the column in the first place, since that's not usually a necessary part of a re-wire. May have done it just as a time saver (and back saver!) but it's not a requirement.

Good luck.

Paul