• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford KP60 hub gear problem.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey.

I finally got energy and good weather to change out the busted front Ujoint. Everything came off easily but when I go to put back the locking hub gear, it won’t go in. Inner spline lined up and went in but when you try to push the rest in, no bueno. Outer spline lined up cause you can fell it and gear would not turn but that it. Won’t go in at all. Rotated the gear all around and it doesn’t matter. Look and felt like the spline are fine. It came off easily when removed and I didn’t have this problem when I put in first built it. Stumped and would love some help.

78-79 Ford KP 60, stock locking hubs, stock 30spline outer.

Edit. I did pull the whole gear assembly out without taking the inner lock gear/spring out. Kinda wondering if that makes a difference.

edit 1-17. Found out why I couldn’t get that hub gear in. Axle shaft is off. I notice hub gear is crooked in hub. I decide and had to tune the axle shaft little at a time and try to push that gear in. Finally slid right in. Looks like I need new (beefy)axle shafts.

Thanks,
Eugene

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which gear is it again? Is it the first one that only lines up with the bearing hub splines, or the second one that lines up with the axle shaft splines?
Sounds like the latter?

Did you change anything? Such as a new hub, or whatever?

Paul

OP
OP
ET

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which gear is it again? Is it the first one that only lines up with the bearing hub splines, or the second one that lines up with the axle shaft splines?
Sounds like the latter?

Did you change anything? Such as a new hub, or whatever?

Paul
Hi Paul. It’s the main gear set inside the hub/disk. D60 is a whole unit. Then you bolt hub knob to it.

edit. First gear...Axle shaft splines line up and slips right on then dead stop when you try to push rest in. Same hub.

Eugene

Attachments

• 2C1071F9-57C8-43F2-96CA-DEFCC8463D89.jpg
    2C1071F9-57C8-43F2-96CA-DEFCC8463D89.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 32
  • C79BB6F9-CD3D-4CA6-9549-7C7D4E7A7200.jpg
    C79BB6F9-CD3D-4CA6-9549-7C7D4E7A7200.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 57F0FD49-8A3D-4D07-B33D-8CD5F247C42B.jpg
    57F0FD49-8A3D-4D07-B33D-8CD5F247C42B.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 19

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It can be a royal pain in the backside... Wiggle constantly while putting pressure on it... which I'm sure you've done but it WILL slide back on. I run the same axle but with Yukon hubs and they are a tight fit also...

Wish I had a great tip for ya but.... keep trying.

OP
OP
ET

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It can be a royal pain in the backside... Wiggle constantly while putting pressure on it... which I'm sure you've done but it WILL slide back on. I run the same axle but with Yukon hubs and they are a tight fit also...

Wish I had a great tip for ya but.... keep trying.

Thanks nvrstuk. When spline are align, it’s solid where you can’t wiggle that gear. Try a rubber mallet to see if it’ll tap in. Nope. It was late and I was tired so I gave up. I’ll hack at it again later. Thought about putting a couple of hub screw to see if it’ll give me getter grip and maybe be able to wiggle that sucker in.

Eugene

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi Paul. It’s the main gear set inside the hub/disk. D60 is a whole unit. Then you bolt hub knob to it.

Gotcha. So it's the "later" style hub lockout made by Warn for Ford then. The earlier ones on axles up to late '79 at least were still the old Spicer design. That's what I had on my '79 D60.

But that's right about the time of the change too I think. Do you know what year your axle is from?

Paul

OP
OP
ET

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought the axle in pieces from different folks. Housing supposedly 79 and no idea on the hub. Guy said it fits 78-90. Knuckle, hub, spindle, brake caliper 78-79. Axle shafts 78. It’s a bastard.

Eugene

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
That is an (external type) lock in/out. Have you tried turning the axle a little bit from the back side u joint side (with a flat tip screwdriver) and see it that lets it slip in place?

OP
OP
ET

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is an (external type) lock in/out. Have you tried turning the axle a little bit from the back side u joint side (with a flat tip screwdriver) and see it that lets it slip in place?
That’s exactly what I did and it finally slid in. I noticed the gear was not centering the hub and thought turning axle shaft. Now I hope I remember this for future.

Eugene

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I call that an internal type hub. Same as a Bronco, just larger.
The external types have exposed retaining bolts in a secondary housing rather than recessed cap screws in a cap around the knob. Like an old F250 Highboy or a Jeep.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Wiggling axle shaft and "wiggling" the axle to me are the same... lol

Sorry you had to spend more time on it... wiggle is supposed to mean the axle and the hub... lol

GLAD you got it together!!! :)

OP
OP
ET

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wiggling axle shaft and "wiggling" the axle to me are the same... lol

Sorry you had to spend more time on it... wiggle is supposed to mean the axle and the hub... lol

GLAD you got it together!!! :)
Now I know and wrote it down.

Eugene

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
External type versus internal type to me. I have seen the external design used on 78/79 Bronco's. At least the inside one piece assembly, and NOT the large face lock in/out dial. And the multi part internal used on F250's. Just saying.

Attachments

• Dana 44 Hub external.jpg
    Dana 44 Hub external.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Dana 44 Hub internal type 1.gif
    Dana 44 Hub internal type 1.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 6

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct. Note in your pics that on the external type the actual bearing hub has bolt holes on the outer rim. An internal type does not. The hub shown in ET's pics does not have those holes and looks to me to be an internal type.
The holes visible in ET's pic are on the internal slug of the Warn-designed lockout. Not the bearing hub.
At least that's what I'm seeing...

Paul