• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

700R4 with Atlas in my Bronco

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yes it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see it has “that” engine it too;D
It’s an elite bunch:p I ran the 241 for a while too before going to an Atlas. But I don’t have a Bronco frame so I can’t comment on making it fit.

So I’m not completely hi jacking. I do have a contribution. A 231 from an S10 is a couple of inches narrower. It is not as popular for a swap because it has the 5 bolt pattern like the older BW units in rangers. So your on your own for clocking rings and such to get the front output where you want it. But it will bolt up to a 700r4 with all factory parts. And if the 700 came out of an S10 with a 4.3 it is the correct tans for fitting to a sbf.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good stuff...

b0c7cce9cb38eddb26afb51fba79a956.jpg

503154083de1cc0ec443a58784347736.jpg

f2ba3c045b3473a49fc1ad41c827b5a3.jpg

0a313f27928cf34ac3dd33b5b21da759.jpg

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I had a hell of a time getting my 700R4 TV cable to function correctly with my Holley sniper. Burned up the clutches on 3/4 gear. I ended up having to purchase a geometry correction kit from bow tie overdrive. Works awesome now. Just a heads up if your going to the sniper with the 700R4.

We followed the directions from Bowtie meticulously concerning the TV cable and we checked all the pressures and checked in with them since it is part of the warranty process. First time around we had the 2V Sniper and everything worked great. This time we will add the Edelbrock Proflow to the new 347. Anyone reading should definitely pay attention to the proper set up of the TV cable. Very good advise.

Jim

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We followed the directions from Bowtie meticulously concerning the TV cable and we checked all the pressures and checked in with them since it is part of the warranty process. First time around we had the 2V Sniper and everything worked great. This time we will add the Edelbrock Proflow to the new 347. Anyone reading should definitely pay attention to the proper set up of the TV cable. Very good advise.

Jim

Bowtie's website (really hard to navigate/find things on it) doesn't seem to show the various TV cable adapters anymore - do they offer something for the Proflow setup? I used their 5.0 throttle adapter and after being very precise with my installation 13-14 years ago, it's still working great.

Todd Z.

Calibronc66

Contributor
Call them....their website is not up to date. I saw what I needed on their Facebook page.

Stefan

Loc.
Louisiana, Fort Polk
At this point we would say the main thing to watch for is spacing the torque converter correctly so you don't break the pump...like Mitch did. He drove the rig and even wheeled it and drove it some more. Then one day the trans just quit. When he took it out of the Bronco the pump in the front of the trans was broken, literally like broke in half??? Bowtie overdrives said we did not have the converter spaced correctly. I trust them so we will do a better job this time. Mitch is getting pretty good at taking transmissions out.;D Oh and now the 302 is sitting on the stand and a 347 is getting ready to go back in. Maybe it was all part of his master plan.:cool:

Jim

How did you get around that issue? Does someone make spacers to accommodate that difference?

What about fitting a Dana 20 to the trans?

Thank you for the response. I am trying to make something that is relatively reliable.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
How did you get around that issue? Does someone make spacers to accommodate that difference?

You buy an engine/trans adapter from AA that allows everything to fit together correctly. I don't recall any particular installation difficulties when I did mine but there might have been a sequence to follow. I can't remember if it's the Ford stuff, GM stuff, or both but I remember there's a series of seating steps to do to make sure the converter is seated correctly.

Todd Z.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

What about fitting a Dana 20 to the trans?

Thank you for the response. I am trying to make something that is relatively reliable.

Sometimes washers are needed to space the converter properly to the flex plate. My rule of thumb has always been 3/16-1/4” Of clearance between the 2 with the converter pushed all the way in. less is an issue and more needs a washer to take up some of the space. Have never had an issue and spent several years of my life installing them for a living.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
reliable.

For us we still have the issue because the rebuilt trans is not yet re-installed. The 347 (new motor) detour and now complete engine bay redo is under way.

As Steve noted we will be paying close attention to the spacing of the toque converter and using washers as necessary. As for function the 700R was awesome in this rig so we have no hesitation about going for round 2. We'll chalk this one up to learning experience.

Jim

jmhend

Bronco Guru
For us we still have the issue because the rebuilt trans is not yet re-installed. The 347 (new motor) detour and now complete engine bay redo is under way.

As Steve noted we will be paying close attention to the spacing of the toque converter and using washers as necessary. As for function the 700R was awesome in this rig so we have no hesitation about going for round 2. We'll chalk this one up to learning experience.

Jim
Jim,

Can't wait to see what you and Mitch come up with.

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

svobronco

Contributor
I just wanted to confirm that the AA 700R4 to Dana20 is for T Dana 20's and not the J shift? Is that correct? Or will it work for both?

It will work for both, but the included AA shifter bracket will only fit the T-shift. You have to make your own bracket if you run the J

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I just wanted to confirm that the AA 700R4 to Dana20 is for T Dana 20's and not the J shift? Is that correct? Or will it work for both?

T-shift only as with many of the adapters there's just no way to make a stock J-shiter work. You could probably get away with a twin stick on a j-shift with some mods and fabrication. Adapter and info here.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...smission-Adapter-Kit-Dana-20/advancedadapters

Don't forget if you go with a 700R4 and small block Ford you will need a engine to trans adapter as well. There are 3 versions of that on this page.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/advancedadapters

Jim

Stefan

Loc.
Louisiana, Fort Polk
T-shift only as with many of the adapters there's just no way to make a stock J-shiter work. You could probably get away with a twin stick on a j-shift with some mods and fabrication. Adapter and info here.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...smission-Adapter-Kit-Dana-20/advancedadapters

Don't forget if you go with a 700R4 and small block Ford you will need a engine to trans adapter as well. There are 3 versions of that on this page.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/advancedadapters

Jim
Thank you! I appreciate the information.

svobronco

Contributor
T-shift only as with many of the adapters there's just no way to make a stock J-shiter work. You could probably get away with a twin stick on a j-shift with some mods and fabrication.

Jim

Good point, should have mentioned I have twin sticks on my J case /700R4 combo